Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
disclosure
      #186959 - 04/18/06 11:10 PM

how is it the name is going to be used to track health conditions in california?doesnt that violate hippa in some way?i know they only use numbers here in ny for the very issue of privacy.i feel if the names are connected to the heath records then the possibility of info leaking will happen.i also thought the hippa laws were federal laws.cant the ada intervean some how because they are federal law?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
moonstarchild
Guardian

Reged: 02/28/06
Re: disclosure new
      #186972 - 04/19/06 12:02 AM

Provisions mena nothing. Up in Canada they ahd provisions too and the information still got out about the poz people even thought it was an accident. There are lots of states taht do report names of those who are poz. Big Brother is still watching!!!

--------------------
HIV is a part of me, but it does not define me!!!

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #186979 - 04/19/06 04:11 AM

According to the Kaiser Family State Health Facts, in 2005 38 states had name based reporting for HIV infections. Here is a link: http://www.statehealthfacts.org/cgi-bin/healthfacts.cgi?action=compare&category=HIV%2fAIDS&subcategory=HIV+Testing&topic=Name%2fCode%2dBased+Reporting

There were some news stories I read recently that seemed to indicate that as of 2006 the Federal Government was requiring all states to use named based HIV reporting and that all except 2 states had converted to name based reporting.

Here is an excerpt from an October 2005 Release from the Illinois Department of Public Health:

“This has been a long-standing debate within the medical community and HIV/AIDS groups about using name-based reporting versus, patient coding and we will make sure that security is of the utmost importance,” said Dr. Whitaker. “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has strongly urged all states to implement name-based reporting to ensure consistent and accurate HIV reporting.”

Illinois, the remaining 11 states and the District of Columbia currently using patient code reporting will be making the change to name-based reporting to ensure the same system is being used nationwide. Illinois will begin reporting HIV cases by name about January 1, 2006. The CDC will help Illinois make a smooth transition along with a 19-member steering committee, which Dr. Whitaker has named."

For some reason the government does want to know "who" has HIV. It is a bit scary.... And yes, how does this all tie into HIPPA?

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

firefly
Guardian

Reged: 01/22/06
Loc: Orange County, Calif.
      #186992 - 04/19/06 09:12 AM

I just heard that on the radio.Also, laws about disclosure are getting stiffer in Cali.

--------------------
You are a diamond in the rough !

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #187024 - 04/19/06 12:40 PM

The Bush administration is requiring names based reporting supposedly due to the complexities in tracking people and determining whether or not they're being double counted when moving from state to state (each state had its own privacy methodology). If states don't comply with names based reporting, they risk losing all of their federal funding for AIDS assistance.

Supposedly, despite the names based reporting, the federal government is promising confidentiality.

Of course, whether or not anyone believes that promise from the Bush administration or the rest of the federal government......well, each of us will have to determine that on our own.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #187157 - 04/20/06 11:37 AM

so the hippa laws get tossed out the window?dont you think some one or groupe should sue the federal government on the basis that the laws that are supposed to be held by the hippa arent going to be anymore.i may be a bit paranoid but im not paranoid just for myself its about everyone whos infected or affected by this monster.which to me says there is a very great chance of this information getting out,i know alot of people that are in this city,also my name is well known by alot of groups so how is it they think they can keep this info confidential?i wonder what the americans with disabilities stance is on this subject,thanks for your responce

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2211

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3