Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Valproic acid
      #186662 - 04/16/06 05:49 PM

Hello
As i'm just tested positive, I was starting to study ths infection... and i was looking at all researches & recent descoveries... looking for hope that one day this HIV can be cured...
among all, the study about valproic acid is the only one talkin about possible cure..
what do you think?
Valproic acid has also been shown to be an inhibitor of an enzyme called histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC1). HDAC1 is needed for HIV to remain in infected cells. A study published in August 2005 revealed that patients treated with valproic acid in addition to highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) showed a 75% reduction in latent HIV infection. This may one day lead to a cure for HIV and AIDS.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SORAYA

Reged: 03/31/06
Re: Valproic acid new
      #186669 - 04/16/06 06:44 PM

Yes the answer is out there somewhere but time will tell. One thing i know is that there are medical teams working on a lot of wonderful solutions so the future can only be bright. Even if there is no outright cure, they will come close to a solution where the virus can be controlled for longer with less complications, but for now we can only wait and hope.

If it makes you feel better, remember that gone are the days when you were given a life expectancy after diagnosis. These days we have improved medicines and there are people from all walks of life living with the disease for decades. That tells me that the future can only get better.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #186673 - 04/16/06 07:19 PM

Sounds like hocus pocus to me!

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #186886 - 04/18/06 02:20 PM

The poster was correct...this Valproic acid was involved in an HIV study. It is currently used to treat seizure disorders, however.
The study was a prliminary study to determine if the CONCEPT of using a drug to attack the RESTING OR DORMANT virus in cells was viable. Here is what I got regarding that:

Proof-of-concept, not proof of efficacy

Despite their encouraging results, the authors acknowledge that their study is preliminary, and will require a bank of larger, longer studies before they can be certain about a role for valproic acid in reducing hidden HIV stores. “Our pilot study is limited and leaves many questions unanswered,” they write.

Notably, the use of only four volunteers makes it difficult to be confident of the robustness of the study's findings and to share their optimism that “new approaches will allow the cure of HIV in the future.”

Further questions surround the absence of any signs of immune activation during the study, despite the addition of a drug that was expected to stimulate release of HIV particles from resting infected cells. Similarly, a highly sensitive viral load test failed to show an increase of HIV levels in any of the patients during the study, with viral loads remaining below 1 copy/ml throughout most of the study.

Caution was also urged by experts in the field. Speaking to Associated Press, Dr Robert Siliciano from Johns Hopkins University said, "it's extremely unlikely that this approach would work.” Siliciano was one of the scientists who discovered dormant infection of HIV in the mid-1990s.

"It assumes something about the mechanism which we don't know is true. The mechanism may involve other issues that are not affected by this drug.

"It didn't get all the cells. That's probably because it's not really targeting the right mechanism for latency," Siliciano said. "It's got to be a 99.9999% reduction to be useful. When you stop the drugs the virus explodes back so quickly, even if you had one latently infected cell left, in a matter of days you would be back to where you started from."

"It's a little bit premature to be talking about a cure for HIV," he said

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2242

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3