Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Red Red Wine
      #186554 - 04/15/06 05:34 PM

ok, my recent check up has shown more hurdles my way, which isnt no big deal to me, as far as dealing with them. One of the things is my cholesterol is all out of whack, and with the muscular problems im having im not a candidate for cholesterol drugs.....Doc suggested a daily glass of red wine for awhile. Never was a much of a wine drinker, and dont want anything expensive, or robust in flavor....any suggestions on a good wine?....something smooth preferably

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Red Red Wine new
      #186556 - 04/15/06 06:02 PM

My partner has had the same type of problem with cholesterol. He now is on a protein diet...which means he is not supposed to eat bread, pasta, potatos, white rice, eggs, bacon and a few other big no no's. He mostly eats lean meat and fresh cooked vegetables, salads and snacks on apples or pears or whatever. He managed to get his cholesterol level down to normal range with that and the help of a cholesterol lowering drug. He can't drink alcohol in any form so he drinks non-alcholoic beer.
But....my choice for a good but not expensive wine would be a Robert Mondavi (california) merlot. ?

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #186557 - 04/15/06 06:03 PM

We have 3 Master Sommelias here at the hotel.. I will ask them... Whats your price range? lol

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #186559 - 04/15/06 06:14 PM

Co. Anything from South Africa or Spain are vantastic and you can buy these for reasonable amounts of money (under 10) bucks a bottle. Don't worry to much about names, just as long as they are coming out of these areas. These words are coming directly out of Richard's mouth who is standing in front of me. He is one of 15 Master Sommelier in the USA.. Pretty kewl ahy?

Love & Wine,

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #186561 - 04/15/06 06:23 PM

ask him about Pennsylvania wines....lol.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #186566 - 04/15/06 07:20 PM

Trader Joes and Costco have good inexpensive delightful red wines that are highly rated. TJ's has one, which is called the $1.99 wonder because it is so highly rated in the wine industry for palatability.

AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
      #186574 - 04/15/06 09:36 PM

I too have done the protein diet, I have been at it for a year.I had aids induced wasting syndrome so bad last year i was a literally a skeleton. While the high protien diet has restored the muscle mass & the weight, we cant seem to get the cholesterol under control. Because of the muscle damage through wasting & rebuilding, the meds arent yet an option for me, doc says. I quit drinkin back in 98, after a long bout with alcoholism. I know i wont allow this to get outta control, as my life depends on this, i have a new head on my shoulders since diagnosis/illness. So....I'm gonna try what my doc suggests and see if it helps....this last visit, everything was up again, VL, cholesterol,etc.

I thank you all for the input, its greatly appreciated !! May God Bless each of you this Easter Holiday*

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2071

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3