Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Followup on Sexual Morality
      #186520 - 04/15/06 01:09 PM

When I began this thread there was one single point that I was trying to make to those of the Christian persuasion only. As threads normally do, there were the normal and regular diversions from the original post and that is to be expected.

If as a Christian one accepts the main themes of the bible regarding sexual morality then there is no way around the consequences we all become victim of collectively both in an indirect and direct way from not following the "Word"

I am guilty of this as a Christian and there have been consequences in my life that reflect the times that I have deviated from the word. Ofthis I am certain then; I know that my human experience isnt really that much different from my fellow human in this regard from a Christian perspective.

The point Im trying to make through the accusations of not looking at the log in my own eye and being some Jimmy Swaggart kind of guy is that we can admit our sins "without " dismissing or labeling as insignificant or erroneous the obvious lessons on living right that the bible offers and be as complete, worthy and as entitled as any other Christian on this earth because of Christs grace.

The lessons in the bible dont have to be marginalized and not accepted as gospel nor edited for our acceptance because we fall short, because of the fact that we all fall short.

If one claims themselves as a Christian and thinks the bible is a crock then that is another discussion of interest we can have.

God bless us all.

Remember posters, this is a conversation that is Christian specific. No desire to offend, judge anger or belittle anyone is present.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: Followup on Sexual Morality new
      #186522 - 04/15/06 01:34 PM

I am not sure where you are going with your post. Having 4 Lutheran pastors in my family as well as going through 12 years of Lutheran school gives me some experience in religious beleifs. I think you are trying to say that we all fall short of what the bible teaches and that we are all sinners. I for one and I speak only for me. Is that we all fall short of what the Bible preaches. Thank God, he sent his Son to make up for our shortfalls. There end lies Grace.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186526 - 04/15/06 01:54 PM

i need help. Please! Me and my children got the HIV. My husband been gone now for a long time and he dont make no child support. Will Jesus help me? if you will help me plese let me work for you. I was a cook one time and i have good morals. I know how sex can get u in troble and I dont do that. I just need a job. Plese help.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186535 - 04/15/06 03:19 PM

Your posting might be more appropriate in a religious room, as this is a site for HIV. I get enough 'religion' at church....

firefly
Guardian

Reged: 01/22/06
Loc: Orange County, Calif.
      #186536 - 04/15/06 03:23 PM

*Sigh* ....You again?Hey Jim Jones, seems like you are pooring salt into wounds again.How does that help anyone on this site? Ask God for a big dose of compassion please.

--------------------
You are a diamond in the rough !

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #186548 - 04/15/06 04:50 PM

Before Jesus bar Joseph was born in the Mid-East, there was no thing called Christianity. There were numerous Judaic sects that followed The Law, as interpreted by scholars and there were Judaic mystics that sought a deeper understanding of the Eternal beyond the law. Indeed, until the worship of Jesus was invented in the following centuries, most people who followed the teachings of Jesus considered themselves Jews.

A few centuries before Jesus bar Joseph, Siddhartha transcended earthly desire and became Buddha. A few centuries before that Orpheus conquered Hell and became an object of worship. A few centuries before that, Osiris conquered death and became a god. A few centuries after the birth of Jesus bar Joseph, Mohammed was commanded to write, and he wrote the Koran. In this century, A Course in Miracles was revealed. In a few centuries, another person unknown to us now will be the object of worship

What all of these religious systems have in common is that they are hero cults. Their stories all follow a similiar pattern, the hero is born miraculously, he has a defining revelation in mid-life which he teaches to a few followers, he transcends death in some way.

The Christians will say that the truth of Jesus is the final relevation; but, then Muslims also believe that Mohammed's truth is final. The teachings of all these hero cults reveal eternal truths, not one of them has a monopoly on truth. Unfortunately, what many of them have in common is a firm conviction that their truth is The One Truth, this conviction leads to conflict and war.

The big questions - What is Truth, What is Right Action, What is the Nature of Love, What is the Meaning of Life, What Happens after We Die - have to be answered by humans in some way. For many, the answers lie in the stories, myths if you like, that we learn. The poet Robert Bly says that the simple needs of life are coded in our genes, but the larger needs of a concious being are coded in the stories we tell, our mythology.

I grew up Catholic, many of my myths come from The Bible and the Lives of the Saints. I've also read Joseph Campbell, The Book of the Dead, Hopi myths, and Plutarch - all of which have added to my stock of myths. But the search for aswers to the big questions is my personal search as it is everyone's personal search, which is probably why your initial question seems to elude your readers. We are all groping our way through this world toward either something or nothing, we each decide.

A mystic once told me this story - A man woke up one morning to find a great golden egg beside him. He instantly loved the egg to the exclusion of all else. Slowly over time, he lost interest in his friends and the world beyond his love for the golden egg. To protect the egg from thieves, he locked the windows and doors of his house. Where once the sun had shone brightly through the windows of his house, the windows became dark with grime and cobwebs collected in the corners of the rooms of his house. Over time, less and less sunlight came through the windows until the man was left in the dark with his golden egg. Starved for food and sunlight, he wasted away and died beside his beloved egg. Some time later, when the man's neighbors broke into the house, they found the man with his cold fingers clutching the egg. A small boy, brushed away the layer of dust that had accumulated on the golden egg. Slowly, the following words emerged "My Name is Sin."

That is one of my myths.

Lux Eternum,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186589 - 04/16/06 12:27 AM

I am perplexed by the born again/fundamentalist Christian obsession with sex, in particular, homosexuality. I am no biblical scholar but from what I recall, Jesus makes no comment on the subject of homosexuality either pro or con. It's interesting that He DOES condemn divorce and remarriage as adultery..but hell....there are as many divorced, remarried fundamentalist Christians as there in the general non born again population. In my opinion the truly greatest sin is hypocrasy.

ToOriginalPoster
Unregistered

Followup on Sexual Morality new
      #186597 - 04/16/06 04:01 AM

Hello. Just wanted to ask whoever started this post to please restrain yourself from posting a "Followup to the Followup on Sexual Morality" or a "Sexual Morality Part 3" or another post in a similar vein. I would like to suggest that these boards are not the most appropriate venue for you to be having the discussions you would like to have.

The titles of other recent posts on this board, i.e. "Need Help" and "Burden to Bear" indicate that people come here to receive comfort and support in dealing with HIV and other struggles in their lives. We depend on this being a safe place. I appreciate that you don't "desire to offend, judge anger or belittle anyone" here, but quite frankly, your presence here is disturbing, and actually detrimental. You are addressing Christians, but I can guarantee you that non-Christians are reading your posts and can only see the judgemental Christian stereotype. Your posts are exactly the type of material and mindset that makes me afraid to share my status out in the real world.

You said:
"Remember posters, this is a conversation that is Christian specific."

Then perhaps you should be posting this material on a Christian board. Or any general board for that matter. Pretty much any other board would be better than the ones here at The Body.

Lastly, I am dealing with the consequences of my mistake, my faith, my relationship with God, and all of the other things that come along with this disease (which you have no idea about, being HIV-) in my own time. And when I feel the need to delve further into this arena, I will seek the guidance of a clergy member. So basically, your posts here have not served any good, just made me feel more depressed, judged and fearful. They are not helpful. And that's why I make my humble request for you to cease posting things of this nature.

Much obliged -

A fellow Christian

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #186613 - 04/16/06 10:13 AM

To the Poster above my head. As the Title of this Forum is "Living with HIV". This carries some very broad strokes. In this forum, really nothing is taboo here. Everyone has a beleif system and everyone here has a right to share them. Alot of disagreements on this kind of topic but all together as a whole is very interesting to read. Since we are human and are faced with a potential for a shortened life expectancy (for some). Religious beleifs or spirituality is quite common in every site I have ever visited.

What I recomend to people that are searching for other answers than what they read, is to stop reading it. Hit the back button and pick a new thread. I promise you, you will not be able to control a forum or board to such narrrow topics esp when its titled LIVING WITH....

I am sorry you were upset, but thats they way of forums. You get use to it and you begin to understand how to pick and choose and TAKE WHAT YOU LIKE AND LEAVE THE REST.

A Fellow Christian

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186629 - 04/16/06 12:32 PM

A note from yet another fellow Christian

I have read this thread with great interest and have my 3 cents to add.

The sin of adultery and fornification is no greater or lesser than the sins of greed, gluttony, judging others or pride. That being said there is good news in the following:

If a Christian has HIV and feels damned by God for being who they are and for doing what they have done then 3 things ring true.

1. The first is that they believe the word which is why their faith and spirituality are challenged

2. The second is that repentence which entials believing what the word says, honestly acknowledging and seeing how it rings true in our lives and being sorrowful

3. And lastly, how it changes our behaviors and brings them more in line with scripture.

Another poster previously stated that he was Christian and that these posts were making him feel bad. But I see hope where others see damnation.

Why?

Because feeling bad is part of repentence, and an acknowledgment that the living word is right.

Feeling bad about somethings especially in areas regarding life and death issues is not always a bad thing and is the necessary attitude of repentence that leads to being forgiven and having the eternal existence with God that we were promised for having repented from our sins and for not repeating them.

In this way all things work for the good, eternity with God as promised is delivered to us whether or not we feel worthy because we have repented and then death has to be feared no longer. It is because of this very point that this thread carries comfort to those who feel challenged by their diagnosis.

Peace to all

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #186686 - 04/16/06 08:52 PM

"Deeper, deeper mired in sin was I until I let my Jesus in." - Baptist hymn

If being a miserable sinner floats your boat, then

Cheers mate!

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3493

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3