HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
A success story
      #184218 - 04/04/06 10:44 AM

I know that HIV and HIV with meds is far from a walk in the park. I know that there are still bad things that happen. But I also know there are some very bright spots. I saw this on the John Hopkins HIV site posted yesterday and thought it provided some hope and positive energy.
------------
From the John Hopkins Site---
In April 1996 I had a CD4 count of 3. My viral load was over 300,000. I got CMV in my eye. My doctor pressured me to tell my family I was HIV+. Toward the end of April I started taking Norvir. My ID doctor knew you and recommended your site. I asked the both of you a lot of questions. I didn't feel sick, but I was gathering music and poems for my funeral anyhow.

Today, my CD4 is 1081 and the viral load has been undetectable for years. The CMV is not at all active. I went roller skating today.

I just wanted to thank you for being here and letting me ask you all my dumb questions and making me smile with your wit. Thank you and my doctor and the researchers at the drug companies. Ten years ago this month I really had no realistic expectation of living ten more years.

Thanks
------------

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: A success story new
      #184227 - 04/04/06 11:15 AM

hi

regards from india

I hope there are many more such success stories.....

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #184237 - 04/04/06 11:51 AM

Yours will be a succes story as well, David.

Lux eternum,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

ScotCharles
Legend

#184238 - 04/04/06 11:56 AM

Hold on, Norvir wasn't available to the public in 1996. This story doesn't scan?

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #184239 - 04/04/06 11:59 AM

David, when you have a break, come join me in the "Park." We will take a walk together..

Love

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #184242 - 04/04/06 12:12 PM

David...... I hope you are composing your own success story already.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

ScotCharles
Legend

OOPS, My bad new
      #184244 - 04/04/06 12:20 PM

Norvir HAS been available to the public since 1996, I apologise for my error. It is the boosting effect with reyetaz that is newer. Still, Norvir is nasty stuff with evil side effects on the liver and pancreas. Better than the alternative, which is, well, death.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

bradford
Fanatic

Reged: 01/15/04
Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
      #184252 - 04/04/06 12:31 PM

HI Blixer

Yes there may/can be side effects but for the most part, they are more nuisance than life threatening. Also while on medications the cd4 count can climb for years after having started them.

I have witnessed far to often, people prolonging going on the med's or deciding not to go on medications, myself included. I did not go on medications when my CD4 fell below 200 and because I didn't go on the med's I developed PCP pneumonia.

Fortunately for me, I went on med's and the PCP was eradicated and the cd4 count climbed a couple hundred points and viral load dropped significantly. That was in 1998.

I am still on HIV/AIDS med's and my cd4 count is 740 and I have been undetectable for many years now.

There are many many similar success stories!

Bradford McIntyre, HIV+ since 1984
www.PositivelyPositive.ca

--------------------
Bradford McIntyre

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #184254 - 04/04/06 12:35 PM

David thank you for that. I was a little scepticle with my story being cell count of 52 and PCP, that I would be ok for a while but it has damaged my body so bad. I had faith I would be ok and knew that poz thinking would also help but never knew of anyone who was that bad and living that long after. I know people live 20+ years with it but no one ever says they were that far along. I now have much more faith in me being here to watch my children graduate and get married and see my grandchildren!

moonstarchild
Guardian

Reged: 02/28/06
      #184255 - 04/04/06 12:35 PM

I am glad you are doing better David. Your new picture looks great and the backround makes me think that the weather wasn't too shabby either. I know that things are going to be well with you, so keep the faith. On Saturday, my kids and I flew kites in the park. It was great! It makes me think that not only meds that help us fight HIV, but also having a group of people around you there that care also help. People that remind us that simple things make life worth living.

--------------------
HIV is a part of me, but it does not define me!!!

ScotCharles
Legend

#184256 - 04/04/06 12:42 PM

Yes, I wish I could join you guys but it is pouring in LA today. In a therapy session years ago, a therapist taught me creative visualisation, which I can use to go to my happy place when I need.

What you do is remember a place where you were your happiest or most at peace and continue to build up sensory memories of that time until the memory becomes alive with all five senses. Once the memory is built, you transport yourself into it and inhabit it by walking around the place in your mind. Once the memory is fully developed and you have practiced going there a few times, you can call it up at will.

I know it sounds like mental illness, but it really does work if you need a break from a difficult situation. For me, the place is a large, rectangular garden surrounded by a tall hedge of ancient yew with a rectangular reflecting pool of dark water taking up all but a three wide path all around the space. At regular intervals, there were benches made from the hulls of small fishing boots on which to sit and watch the changing reflection of the clouds moving across the sky above the space. In the woods surrounding the space, song birds sang; and, the wind rustled the leaves of the trees. The smell was of rich, damp earth and the sharp scent of the evergreen yew hedge.

Thanks, guys I am there now and with what this day is to bring, I think I will just stay there.

Cheerio,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

littleprince
Fanatic

Reged: 03/15/06
      #184257 - 04/04/06 12:43 PM

Hi David! Hope you are well. This success story, can be yours, can be ours. This has reminded of a technique that I have put in the backseat, VISUALIZE. I remembered it again today, and sharing you this:

To accomplish something big, "act as if it were already accomplished, impose upon (yourself) a future as irrevocable as the past."

- Jorge Luis Borges, Argentinian author

--------------------
You Are What You Tolerate.

Blixer
Legend

#184293 - 04/04/06 02:17 PM

Thanks littleprince! I'm doing okay. And yes I'm visualizing a my own success story. Actually, I"m already on my way! I've learned much about myself in the past 11 weeks as well as about life.

--------------------
David

Blixer
Legend

#184294 - 04/04/06 02:18 PM

The picture was taken Saturday in the park. It was a beautiful day and I was doing my second bike ride of the year. Sounds like you had a good Saturday too. The simple things are some of the most important.

--------------------
David

Blixer
Legend

#184296 - 04/04/06 02:22 PM

It is amazing how resiliant our bodies are when we give them some help. Eric told me two months ago that I would know when I needed that help. And I realize I'm there. I'm not where I absolutely HAVE to have the help, but I'm ready for it. And yes Fran, you have as much of a chance of watching your children graduate and get married and of having grandchildren as anyone else in your age group.

--------------------
David

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9083

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3