Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Resistant, then what? How many lines of therapy?
      #183726 - 04/01/06 04:42 AM

What percentage of folks infected with HIV are basically screwed by total resistance right out of the gate? I know resistance forms of HIV is becoming more common, but generally there is still a line of treatment options that will work for these people for years. But what percentage are resistance to all classes of HIV meds when first infected?

Also, how does it generally work, if you have no resistance, when you first start taking meds. I read the average first line of treatment works for 4-5 years before it begins to fail. Then what? Does the second line of therapy work equally as well as the first in most cases? I hear about first line, second line and so on, but never what the average success rate is until the second or third line begins to fail. Anyone have an answer on this?

I'm generally trying to get an idea of just how long meds will work in general. When is it considered "salvage" and once you get there, does this mean your days are numbered?

What meds are coming down the pike that will cross all barriers of current resistant forms of HIV, Are there any? I'm trying to get some accurate calculation on my life expectancy without al the pie in the sky hype. I wish to make this expectancy based on hard science. Does this make any sense?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: Resistant, then what? How many lines of therapy? new
      #183728 - 04/01/06 06:56 AM

praise god in the morning, and thank him at night, and you will exceed any scientific expectation.....most likely will exceed your own expectations....

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #183730 - 04/01/06 07:20 AM

Well I don't have hard cold facts, but here's my take on resistance.

I don't know the percentage, but I don't think it's very high. There has been mention of a case in San Fran and one in NY....what the media dubbed a 'super' virus, which was only incorrect and raised the fear level of many WWs.

The length of time a person can take a specific combination will vary by person to person. Compliance is the key word. I have probably blown through most of my combo options in my first 10 years. Allergies to some, bad SE with others. Long story short, I'm resistant to quite a few options at this point, however we still found a combination for me to take....one that at last I can tolerate, and I'm now compliant.

Salvage therapy is when you are out of drug options and the medication doesn't control the virus, but keeps it from completely going wild. This is the time frame when a person really looks hard at what new drug options are available.

Salvage therapy does not mean your days are numbered. It does mean you might need to be creative. Clinical trials. Back in 2000 my husband had run out of options. He also was very ill. Our doctor got him in the trail for Fuzeon (T20) and Kalata was just being released. He was put on these two medications, plus two old ones that worked OK. 48 weeks later at the end of the trial he dropped the T20, but to this day he continues with the rest of the combination. His VL is still undectectable.

There really is no way to figure out an accurate calculation of your life expectancy with HIV. Before the advent of PI's it was pretty cut and dry, but now that's all changed. My husband is at 18 or 19 years, I know people well over 20 years. We really don't know the impact of what the newer medications that are already available will have in controlling the virus for longer periods of time.

I'm sorry I can't give you the answer you are looking for. How long will you live....you are alive today....that's what counts.

SORAYA

Reged: 03/31/06
      #183773 - 04/01/06 04:59 PM

I am no expert on drug related issues pertaining to HIV but here is something that my doctor said; that in his clinical observations the ' WORRIERS' are the ones with the most side effects.

Listen, you are right to want answers to the very last detail of your HIV state, but supposing you were negative you would still not be able to put a finger on your life expectancy. Who is to know whether you would be struck down by a stroke, cancer, motor accident, fire or simply die in your sleep from a heart attack (do you catch my drift)?

HIV therapy has come a long way and all the signs and vibes emanating point to progress in terms of long term solutions; if not a cure and ever the optimist i think we are getting closer to something big soon. Dont fret and work yourself up into a state. Breathe the air, shake off the doubts and dont believe all the hype.Take a step forward one day at a time.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #183777 - 04/01/06 05:24 PM

Thats very well put Soraya. It is my experience that being HIV positve is about trying to sort out what is important and what is not. Its about health insurance and money and jobs and relationships. If you are on meds that certainly becomes important, but at the same time disclosing your staus and to whom is possibly even bigger.
Many positive people today will not die from HIV, is my guess.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2393

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3