Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
padude164
Unregistered

HIV, alcohol and patience.
      #179928 - 03/15/06 01:19 AM

I am so worried about being impatient about everthing! I drink alcohol daily and take sustiva and combivir.
Will alcohol and also zoloft for depression interact with the alcohol??? I work the afternoon shift and find it hard to get out of bed. HELP!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DanielMark
Expert

Reged: 06/06/04
Loc: Ottawa Canada
Re: HIV, alcohol and patience. new
      #179938 - 03/15/06 06:12 AM

Not a good idea. Don't you want to give yourself the best possible odds on LIVING WITH this? Or are you trying to avoid it all? If you are drinking every day, then I would encourage you to get help to quit it. Your body needs all the help you can give it. Don't make yourself sicker than you need to be. Please! Life is too damn short - don't make yours even shorter.

--------------------
Follow your honest heart

IzPoZ
Guardian

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: FTL, Florida
      #179939 - 03/15/06 06:49 AM

DanielMark hit it on the nose. Do what you can to quit drinking and focus yourself on being healthy. Alcohol can really screw with your immune system (amongst everything else!)

Good luck!

--------------------
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #179944 - 03/15/06 08:58 AM

Hi
First of all, you are not telling us much about the alchohol consumption. When you say drink every day.....do you mean one drink or a whole bottle. One beer or a case? One glass of wine or a whole bottle?
Most of my friends who have HIV or AIDS have been able to have ONE DRINK daily without much problem. If you develop "lipodystrophy" as my partner has, you most likely cannot even have one drink because it will actually make you feel ill.
So.....see your doctor and discuss it with him or her.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #179952 - 03/15/06 09:19 AM

Everyone has given good advice about alcohol and HIV. You really need to limit alcohol consumption if you are HIV+. Drinking with Sustiva hightens the drowsiness of Sustiva and is likley leading to your tiredness upon awakening. Since even moderate alcohol consumption can damage your liver if you take HIV meds as your liver is under enough stress from the meds, I would quit if I were you. If you need help, AA has HIV+ meetings in most cities.

If you have issues with giving yourself over to a Higher Power, as I have, there is an alternative AA for agnostics (persons who may believe in a higher power, but feel that that Higher Power is not actively involved in the world - Deus Absconditas). Check it out. Many psychologists believe that alcoholism is caused by the need to fill a spiritual void, most spiritual systems work to fill that void.

The journey begins with you saying to yourself "I need help." You have already taken that step. Now ask yourself if you are powerless over alcohol.

Cheers, mate and have a safe trip.

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

DanielMark
Expert

Reged: 06/06/04
Loc: Ottawa Canada
      #180040 - 03/15/06 01:56 PM

"your question should be, how much can my liver take before it fails....your meds are working it over plenty without alcohol"

My point exactly.

--------------------
Follow your honest heart

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #180064 - 03/15/06 04:06 PM

While I was exploring my relationship to alcohol with AA, my regular Wednesday meeting was cancelled and I was asked to join a Narcotics Anonymous meeting for a few months. I was surprised that the NA people found my little issues with too much wine at dinner, as nothing compared to their addictions. Through my weeks attending that NA meeting, I came to know some of the strongest people I have ever known.

I feel that life is a river, and as I move through the eddies and calms of my journey, I find I am often joined, for a time, by truly remarkable people. The memory of that NA group meeting in a basement room in St. Patrick's Church in San Francisco remains clear in my mind. I learned a lot from them.

We should fight destructive urges like excessive drinking, drug abuse, unsafe sex, and sure things at the racetrack; but, we are only human. Isn't it enough to try to live as good a life as we can and to have a sense of purpose?

The opera, The Makropoulos Case, begins with the line "Life should not be too long." The opera explores the life of a woman who through the use of a magic elixir has lived as a young woman for 300 years but whose stock of the potion has run out. It is the knowledge of her certain death that stops her selfish hedonism and makes her face for the first time in hundreds of years the meaning of her very long life.

The promise of a long life is not enough to fill the void of an empty existence.

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3543

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3