Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blood Labs showed high hemoglobin
      #179250 - 03/10/06 11:41 PM

I just got my hiv labs back and my CD4 dropped from 974 to 717, my viral increased from <50 now to 274. Whats with that..

Is this a blip and has any one experienced this kind of change. Also my hemoglobin came back high.. I gnerally drink high protein drinnks as recommended to help build my immunity, does this also increase my hemoglobin unsafely.?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Blood Labs showed high hemoglobin new
      #179274 - 03/11/06 10:07 AM

Do not sweat these small variations in CD4 and viral loads, these numbers swing up and down. A pattern over a number of months of a significant downturn in CD4 or an increase in viral load is something about which to be concerned. Some of the AIDS meds can cause a drop in hemoglobin, an increase may mean that the meds are working for you. If the stored form of iron is normal (that is the iron tucked away in your liver), you probably shouldn't worry.

If you like, you can chart the differences, it is easier to see trends if you have a picture. Subtract the new results from the old and then divide that number by the old results for both CD4 and viral load. This gives you a percentage change. Now put those numbers on a piece of paper scaled by 5% on the y axis (the one that sticks up on the left) and time on the x axis (the one that runs horizontal to the right). Over time, your lines will look like a bunch of peaks and valleys, draw a line that tracks the middle point of the peaks and valleys, and that is your trend line. Over several tests, you should see a pattern developing, which for CD4 should be generally sloping up to the right and for viral load sloping down to the right. Any change in pattern that persists is cause for concern.

I have a problem with high stored iron in my liver, which is easily treated by having a pint of blood drawn ever so often. I shouldn't worry.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #179560 - 03/13/06 03:53 PM

Scotty is right on as usual. Flipping out is not an option. You would have more fun playin a game of ping pong. And Scott I suck at Geometry.. Let the doctors tell me "whatsss up with that?".. Trends.... I bet your next test your back where you were before the "whatssup" result.

Love

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #180067 - 03/15/06 04:15 PM

Sorry, I'm sometimes just an old academic trying my best to help out. You could run also run a trend in Excel, but again, why bother?

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2245

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3