Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: HIV Travel Restrictions new
      #179130 - 03/09/06 11:14 PM

For instance -

CHINA, PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF - *Passport and visa required. Due to tightened visa policy, travelers may be required to undergo a personal interview. Transit visa required for any stop (even if you do not exit the plane or train) in China. Business travelers are required to obtain formal invitation from Chinese business contact. Tourist visas are issued only after receipt of a confirmation letter from a Chinese tour agency or letter of invitation from a relative in China. Single-entry visa requires $50 processing fee, double-entry visa fee $75 (no personal checks), $100 for a 6-month multi-entry, and $150 for a 12month to 24 month multi-entry visa. 1 tourist visa application form, and 1 photo required. Allow at least 4 business days for processing. Visa valid 90 days from date of issue. If HIV positive, entry not permitted for any purpose. For more detailed information, contact the Visa Section of the Chinese Embassy, 2201 Wisconsin Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20007 (202/338-6688) or nearest Consulate General: Chicago (312/573-3070), Houston (713/521-9859), Los Angeles (213/807-8006), New York (212/868-2078) or San Francisco (415/674-2940). Internet: www.china-embassy.org

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #179133 - 03/09/06 11:40 PM

Scott;
Many things have changed since that was written in 1996, I personally have been to all the places they say that interviews are required and have never been asked anything or even had my bags checked before that article. Maybe I am a lucky person, but in the last 4 years have been to China, Australia & New Zealand, Russia and surrounding independent states of the former Soviet Union and all of Europe, Africa and India without a problem. I was scrutinized more when I got home than any time I have been North, South or over seas, the only restrictions I have seen in the last 8 years has been if you want to move to another country to live without a job in that country, but to visit there have been no restrictions that I have found.
Maybe you should read newer matirial.

ScotCharles
Legend

#179154 - 03/10/06 08:50 AM

GMAN,

Good news about your trip to China, however, the State Department info I quoted is recent as of today. As for China, on the Visa application I assume you said "No" to the HIV question, but then how did you deal with the personal interview at the consulate that is required for the visa application. How were the immigration officials? Did you travel with your gay lover (assuming you are gay). Was you luggage searched upon arrival in the PRC?

As for the list, which is all I assume you read, those tests are primarily for long term visitors and people applying for work permits and the such. HIV tests even in Africa are required to get work permits in many countries. I know because of my experience trying to get a job with OXFAM.

Entry into the US is dicey for HIV+ visitors, since if the pills are found on a random luggage search, confirming HIV status and you answered "No" on the entry card or Visa application, then you can be deported.

As for reading newer material, excuse me but fuck you, I have traveled a lot as well, and have worked in several countries. This material and the links are mainly for non-US citizens, you really must awaken to the modern, globalized world and the fact that this site is read by people all over the world.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

ScotCharles
Legend

Ignore this man, he is on too many painkillers new
      #179155 - 03/10/06 08:58 AM

The information is current as of 2004, and the State Department info is current as of today. The site is geared to NON-US residents with HIV, which obviously was not apparent to GMAN, since he exhibits the annoying American bias of thinking the internet belongs to the US.

We are in linked up global world and this website is viewed and posted upon by people from all over the world.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

ScotCharles
Legend

Details from The Body postings HIV travel new
      #179157 - 03/10/06 09:10 AM

General Information Regarding HIV and Travel

By Laura N. Broyles, Jonathan Kaplan, Phyllis Kozarsky

2003/2004

Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), has a very long and variable incubation period, generally lasting for many years. Some persons infected with HIV have remained asymptomatic for more than a decade. No vaccine is currently available to protect against infection with HIV. Although there is no cure for AIDS, treatment with antiretroviral therapy and prophylaxis against many opportunistic diseases associated with AIDS are available.
International travelers should be advised that some countries serologically screen incoming travelers (primarily those arriving for extended visits, such as for work or study) and deny entry to persons with AIDS and those whose test results indicate infection with HIV. Moreover, travelers carrying antiretroviral medication may be denied entry to some countries. Persons who intend to visit a country for a substantial period or to work or study abroad should be informed of the policies and requirements of the particular country. This information is usually available from the consular officials of the individual nations. An unofficial list by the U.S. Department of State can be found at the following Internet address: www.travel.state.gov/HIVtestingreqs.html.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

midwest4u
Regular

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: ILLINOIS
      #179275 - 03/11/06 10:08 AM

Many countrys have had travel restrictions for more than two hundred years. As my doctor would say "most of the laws are barbaric". Some countrys still have head lice and crabs listed as restrictions. Laws go on the books and sometimes takes many years to come off. It's aways good to know the laws to a country you are traveling to. HIV is on the list for most countrys. I personaly not know anyone who has been stopped by costoms for having HIV. I do a lot of traveling to other countrys and always take my HIV meds plus a few others that I my need. As long as there in the popper bottles no one has ever questioned what they are for. Travel restrictions and warning for all countrys can be found at U. S. Department of State - Bureau of consular affairs at http://www.travel.state.gov

--------------------
In the end only kindness matters - Jewel

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #179279 - 03/11/06 10:41 AM

popper bottles

lol...your slip is showing....I know...u meant propper

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

midwest4u
Regular

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: ILLINOIS
      #179283 - 03/11/06 11:01 AM

Thanks bear :-) My typing sucks but so do I, lol.

--------------------
In the end only kindness matters - Jewel

ScotCharles
Legend

#179360 - 03/12/06 12:29 AM

Muchas Grassyass,

As I have posted before, most people will have no problem traveling with HIV. The PRC is a problem these days, has anyone experience with travel to Mainland China they can share?

As an alternative I am considering a safari hioliday in Kenya. Amazing to me, Kenya has no restrictions on HIV+ visitor travel. Anyone know differently?

Cheers up, mates,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

DanielMark
Expert

Reged: 06/06/04
Loc: Ottawa Canada
From another angle ... new
      #179367 - 03/12/06 03:20 AM

As an HIV+ Canadian, I am saddened by the barbaric US travel ban (in place since 1987).

Press Release: Temporary lifting of travel ban to the US for people living with HIV is only for show

A single-entry travel visa for people with HIV to attend the Gay Games (Chicago, July 2006) in the United States does not mean the end of the blanket travel ban for people living with HIV/AIDS. In fact, it makes travelling via or to the US on future occasions completely impossible. In the Netherlands, the HIV Association and the Aids Fonds are calling on their government to urge the American authorities to put an immediate end to all entry restrictions for people with HIV.

Background

A blanket travel ban to the US applies to people with HIV as this could endanger public health, according to the US Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 212. People with HIV are given a single-entry visa to attend special events such as the Gay Games or the UNGASS (United Nations General Assembly Special Session on HIV/AIDS, New York, June 2006).

The US travel ban infringes the international right to travel and goes against the view of the United Nations High Commissioner of Human Rights, UNAIDS and the Dutch government that a travel ban discriminates against people with HIV. They all agree that a complete ban makes no contribution whatsoever to the protection of public health.

Views of the Dutch HIV Association (HVN) and the Aids Fonds

The HVN and the Aids Fonds are of the opinion that the ban, in effect, discriminates and stigmatizes. Each and every citizen of the US can protect themselves against the HIV virus.

A temporary lifting of the ban is only for show. The applicant's details are registered at the Immigration Service so the next time that person tries to travel to or via the US, they can be refused entry. This is because a so-called visa waiver was applied for before, and the Immigration Service will wonder why that occurred. The same risk is taken if someone fills in a visa waiver form incorrectly in the plane - although actually mentioning their HIV infection would lead to a refusal.

"So it's almost impossible for an advocacy organization to be present at the UNGASS in June", says Jelle Houtsma, chairman of the HVN. "And it is at that meeting where there will be discussions about how we should best continue the fight against HIV/AIDS and what should be done about the discrimination and stigmatisation of people with HIV". The Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs would very much like the HVN to be part of the Dutch delegation.

Appeal

Both the HVN and the Aids Fonds are appealing to the Minister of Foreign Affairs to call the American authorities' attention to all entry restrictions for people with HIV and to urge them to lift any bans. They are also asking him to make the Dutch view known at multilateral and/or European forums and during the UNGASS in June.

http://www.hivnet.org/HVN/persberichten/persberichten_2006/opheffing_reisverbod_eng.htm

Daniel

--------------------
Follow your honest heart

DanceLittleGirl
Unregistered

Re: From another angle ... new
      #180656 - 03/18/06 12:36 AM

my life goal is to make the US lift this ban.
now i just need to get into law school....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181452 - 03/21/06 03:08 PM

I am a foreigner who came to the USA hiv negative. I contracted the virus several years later while living in the US and after filing for my greencard and an hiv waiver which took forever, i have been advised by my lawyer and immigration officials against travelling out of the country because they will likely not let me in despite my wife and children being US citizens.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3953

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3