Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Curious George
Unregistered

What's the deal?
      #177317 - 02/26/06 03:22 PM

I have a simple question:

I keep hearing that HIV treatments and sooo much better now then ever. well if they are so good, why are soooo many people still dying from AIDS in countries with good health care? (US, UK, Canada)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: What's the deal? new
      #177318 - 02/26/06 04:28 PM

the biggest majority of deaths occurring are due to the person infected not adhering to thier meds schedule. The meds can be the best, but arent gonna do a bit of good if ya dont take em regurlarly, and on time. Same as a cure or vaccine....if they ever do develop one, it wont do any good until someone administers it.

also its very possible to infect oneself with more than one strain of hiv, that mutates, and progresses faster, that is commen in those who have HIV and dont know they have it. When ya dont know ya have it, and ya get infected by someone else (without knowing) of a different strain, that can be very dangerous....but, the answer to your question isnt faulty treatment, it mainly because of the individual not be adherant, for whatever the reason may be....many get depressed & stop thier meds, many get ignorant to the fact they even have it....theres just a whole lot of excuses, but it boils down to, failure to adhere to thier drug schedule.....

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177320 - 02/26/06 04:58 PM

The meds don't cure AIDS, but they do slow down the course of the infection. HIV hides in places where the meds can't reach like the brain because of a natural barrier between the brain and the blood system. Fortunately, the amount of the virus in the brain is small. The brain becomes infected through other systems in the body with which it is connected and a small amount of the meds are in those systems slowing the course of the illness even in the brain. But even now, year by year your immune system continues to weaken, the virus becomes resistant to a med regimen and multiplies; in multiplying it mutates ever so slightly so that new meds have to be developed to attack it. HIV is one cunning little virus.

That is why I believe that AIDS is a manageable illness only in the context that you will not die of it in twenty years, or maybe thirty. No one knows for certain how long the body can live with HIV and the damage caused by the meds. The liver is especially effected by the meds; we are now seeing a higher rate of liver disease in the HIV infected population. No one knows for certain why that is happenning. Perhaps, it is the result of the high incidence of smoking and alcohol consumption amoung the HIV infected, or co-infection with the hepatitis viruses, or the meds themselves are causing the rise.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #177321 - 02/26/06 05:10 PM

The last anonymous post was by me, forgot to sign in.

To continue, so with all that a small number of people each year succumb to the illness. The rates of death now are so much less than they were when I was first infected twenty-one years ago.

My CD four count is now firmly below 350 and seems unlikely to rise above that point. Unfortunately, I have a lot of liver damage from eleven years of medication, nothing serious, thank god. I had a liver cancer scare about a year ago, but that seems to have been a short term inflammation of some things that transport bile through your liver, choland------something; but, that inflammation was caused by Videx (DDI) not the virus. Eliminating Videx from my med regimen seems to have eased that back. However, my liver tests are still at the upper end of the acceptable scale and my amylase/lipase levels test as if I have pancreatic cancer, which again thank god I do not.

I know this is hard news, but HIV infection is forever and you must have strength and a sense of humour to get through it decade by decade. Fortunately, we have places like this board to help us keep on keeping on.

Cheers up, mate

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177392 - 02/26/06 11:02 PM

Why do cd4 counts not rise as in your case above 350, ScottCharles? Would hep b and/or hep c keep them from rising and can you keep them from going lower with meds?

ScotCharles
Legend

#177404 - 02/27/06 12:14 AM

Don't know really, but each year they get a little lower, but then I am 51, so it happens. Not to worry.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

ScotCharles
Legend

#177405 - 02/27/06 12:32 AM

I don't think that CD4 counts in the long run are raised and stay raised but then who really knows. The meds cut down the amount of the virus, they don't eliminate it. Don't worry twenty years from now we'll likely still be here discussing these same things. Cholesterol levels are big problem since you cannot take most of the cholesterol lowering drugs, so be careful with the bad fats. My little heart attack last year was caused in part by the higher cholesterol levels caused by PIs. Again, get on with your life. I'm planning to go on safari in Africa this year. As Mame said, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death." Live each day as if it were your last, and you will have a great life, no matter how long your life lasts.

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #177546 - 02/27/06 09:34 PM

Original poster. HIV Med discovery is the highest it has ever been. However it the patient is unwilling unable to follow his docs advise, he will build a resistance and die. But it does not have to be that way.. Resistance factors are one of the largest areas that pharma is looking at right now. They realize this is whats killing people. But as far as taking 8 pills over the course to 1 dosing a day. THATS HUGE! People use to walk around with beepers to remind them when to dose. So to single dosing in the past few years is huge. But people still do die.. Diabetics die, high BP patients die. WE DIE. If you wana.

Love

ScotCharles
Legend

#177683 - 02/28/06 04:16 PM

Squash blossom,

You've been on meds now what, three months? Wait until you remember on your flight to London for a two week conference that you left your AIDS meds on the kitchen counter at home. Or you lose them down the toilet because the bottle slipped from your hand and you're on an isolated island in the Carribbean. Or your cat got into them and they are spread all over the house and its Christmas and all your docs are on holiday. You will miss doses, I guarantee it.

I went off to Seattle for a business meeting once and brought everything except my dapsone. Once I was home again a week later, I had trouble breathing because I was developing PCP again.

Life happens and you just have to learn to live with it or stop the madness with a couple of seconals and a bottle of brandy. All of us with HIV face that choice every day when we take our morning medication.

Gracious how did I end up here?

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

DavidSolomon
All Star

Reged: 02/17/06
Loc: Gilbert (Phoenix) Arizona
      #177899 - 03/01/06 10:58 PM

I'll simply answer withought going through the other replys, as my answer came swiftly. ---And I hope it will be heard loudly.

The technology has improved greatly. There would have been more deaths if it hadn't. As with all medically advanced situations, much has improved even in the past 15 and 20 years.

What's the deal? There is no deal. Aids is no different that cancer or lukemia, or other illnesses. It is not something bad comming from bad people. Many talk about cancer and diabetes and such, and then they talk about Aids. so there is no difference, there is no deal.

I just hope they go over the top and conquer it like they did with polio in the early 1950's and end this disease that has struck so many wonderful people.

david.

--------------------
David

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3356

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3