scared to tell family fear of rejection

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: family new
      #175907 - 02/19/06 10:28 AM

Do you feel you need to tell your family? This is a process that takes sometime. First of all where are you in the scheme of HIV right now? I felt it important for my friends and family to know. It went all on this front in very respect. But I have also known about others that did not have a good reaction. Tell us a little more about yourself.

Love & Time

Brandy
Guru

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Oklahoma,USA
      #175948 - 02/19/06 05:07 PM

I agree with Eric it depends on each person and each family some adjust well and others not so well. some people never tell their families its kind-of- a case by case kind of thing. however we are pretty much like a family here and your very welcome to be come a part of it, hope to here more very you.

--------------------
take care and be sooooo safe love,
Brandy

Live in the Moment!!!!

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #176072 - 02/20/06 02:42 PM

I myself have many in my family that know. They knew from when i found out. A few that do not know for personal reasons. You will know when it is the right time.

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #176108 - 02/20/06 05:51 PM

I was initially afraid to share with family. I was worried about the response. But what I found was that the ones closest to me basically figured it out and provided me with the opening to tell them. Those are the family members I deal with daily. I still haven't shared it with my younger brother but will when the time is right. Like the others have said, there is probably no rush. You have to be somewhat comfortable with things first. It took me 6 weeks before I finally opened up to a family member and that first one was 8 days ago. Since then one other family member and then a work associate that knows me very well figured things out and gave me the opportunity to talk to her. She has kind of always watched out for me.

For some it just takes time and there is nothing wrong with that.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

DavidSolomon
All Star

Reged: 02/17/06
Loc: Gilbert (Phoenix) Arizona
      #176114 - 02/20/06 06:19 PM

With your concern, maybe start by having a close private conversation with the one family member you are closest to, the one you feel that will listen to what you have to say.

At this point, you will still be aprehensive to speak with the other family members on your own. Therefore, the member you chose can assist you and you two can approach the rest of the family together.

You can do it in two ways--- The first---Both of you together can get the rest of the family together for a meeting. The second--- If it is more comfortable for you in your situation, and if you feel the situation will warrant, your chosen family member can speak to another beforehand, to break it in a bit, before the actual conference.

Look at all the options to approach this and do what is best for you and is good to fit into your situation.

david.

--------------------
David

deeva

Reged: 02/22/06
      #176614 - 02/22/06 08:31 PM

IF THE'RE THAT NARROW-MINDED TELL THEM AND GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE.....YOUR'E BETTER OFF WITHOUT THEM IN THE LONG RUN, PRAY AND SEEK OUT SUPPORT GROUPS AT THIS STAGE YOU DO NOT NEED ADDTIONAL DRAMA!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1573

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3