Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV and having a baby
      #17553 - 04/23/01 05:40 PM

I have also put a post on the Women's section but wanted to try here too.
My husband and I are both positive and are thinking about having children. Just wanted to hear from any couples out there who had gone thru this and what you would suggest, hopes, fears, etc.
Thank you for any comments (no hate mail please!) and good thoughts are coming your way!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV and having a baby new
      #17711 - 05/04/01 01:44 PM

(sorry spelling-foreign)
I also put a message in Womens section, not very encouraging I must say, because I suddenly thought maybe after so many years, and although he tested negative up to 5, I should repeat just in case, and felt fear ..
But having a son has been the best thing that ever happened to me, and I think he enjoys it too. When became pregnant (nearly 15 years ago) I was very much disapproved for continuing with it .., and maybe it is true I took a big risk out of my "young unconciussnes", but now a days is different. We live long, and vertical transmission has gone down to 2-4 %, being that they seem to investigate children´s needs as regards treatments more and more every day and hopefully by the time they realize the problem it won´t be as serious as it has been. I think if you feel strong enough with your situation and able to cope I don´t really see why not. But I recomend that you go and see your doctor to determine the best way to approach it, and you are going to have to take treatment (it reduces vertical trasmission) and find out all about your situation!!
Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17810 - 05/10/01 10:12 PM

Hello there I am also HIV positive and I just won't to let you know that if that is what you and your husband want to do then DO IT !!!!! Let me tell you my story, I married a man (I THOUGHT HE WAS MY HUSBAND BUT AFTER HE DIED I FOUND OUT HE WAS MARRIED AND HAD BEEN FOR 10 YEARS AND HAD 2 CHILDREN)
BUT ANYWAY I found out I contracted the virus from this man and I had a baby by him ( I FOUND OUT I WAS POSTIVED ABOUT 15 MONTHS AFTER I GAVE BIRTH TO MY SON) The way I found out was because he was hospitalized and very sick and we did not know what was wrong with him , after several test and 10 Doctors
they said he was dieing with AIDS ,Well one month later he did and Me and My son was tested and I was HIV
positived and my son was not REPEAT WAS AND STILL IS NOT HE IS NOW 6 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!
After he died I went on with my life and ran into my WONDERFUL HUSBAND that I have now and he is not HIV POSITIVE AND HOPEFULLY WITH THE LOVE AND SUPPORT OF GOD HE WILL NOT GET THIS,
I met my husband 2 years ago and we decided to have a baby together and I became pregnant and I have my second son that is HIV NEGATIVE. HERE IS WHAT I DID , I HAVE BEEN ON THE MEDS COMBIVIR AND VIRAMUNE FOR ABOUT 4 AND A HALF YEARS I CONTINUED THOSE MEDS AND THE PRENATAL
VITAMUNES AND JUST BEFORE I HADE HIM ( which was by c-section) the began the AZT DROPS IN MY IV
AND HERE WE ARE TODAY HEALTHLY AND I HAVE BEEN UNDETECTABLE FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS
SO MY GOD BLESS YOU IN YOUR DECISEN AND GO FOR IT, IF YOU ARE IN GOOD HEALTH BESIDEDDDS THE HIV. WRITE BACK IF NEED TO

Anonymous
Unregistered

#22182 - 09/10/01 12:01 PM

I'm replying because we recently found out my husband is positive and is on the road back from PCP and a CD4 count of 3 and we have a 10 month old. What you propose is a very personal decision and I would not even begin to tell you what to do. However, as the mother of an infant and someone who is dealing with AIDS on a daily basis I would ask that you seriously consider some of the following issues/items.
1. Babies take a lot of energy, can your health tolerate getting up 3 times in the middle of the night and then going to work.
2. Do you you have/will you have a sufficient support system in place if you and/or your husband becomes ill and can't do the day to day caring for your child. It's a lot to ask of someone.
3. Are you emotionally prepared for the news that your child is HIV+ (it's a real possibility and you need to consider it thoroughly). There was no real threat but we still had our son tested to be absolutely sure, it was the scariest thing I've ever had to do and my husband was physically ill waiting for the results. Getting my 3 month test was 10xs easier.
4. Do you have/will you have a plan in place for your child if something happens to you or your husband before he/she turns 18, (remember additional life insurance isn't an option)
I have to say that being a mother is the GREATEST thing I've ever done and I highly recommend it, I hope to do it again someday . . . somehow. Just consider every angle and every possbility first.
Good Luck, I hope everything works out

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1384

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3