HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
OH BUGGER ME!
      #175409 - 02/16/06 11:57 AM

Ok.. Got things chillin with the HIV. Now I need to not put off my dentist. I have always taken great care of my teeth even though I hate those guys poking around in there. But this will be my first attempt in going since my HIV diagnosis. I am overdue by 6 months. Never had a a cav and never want one. I am going to tell the doctor my status. I am wondering if he will accept me as a patient again or say fuck off? Anybody with coming out to your dentist?? I was going to wear my AIDS t-shirt, but I think that might be to much.. I am sure I need to disclose my bugs to them tho..

Love

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: OH BUGGER ME! new
      #175419 - 02/16/06 12:54 PM

do like i did and go on TV, disclosure wont be an issue anymore*...hahaha

YES Eric do tell him, as hey have to work directly with your blood at some point.....Good Luck & God Bless*

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #175437 - 02/16/06 02:40 PM

OOOOH Boy! My dentists have bought condos in Cabo with the proceeds from my teeth. I came out to one in San Francisco, who then gave me a cleaning from hell and intentionally tried to loosen my caps. My new cute, gay HIV doctor in Hollywood with the honors degree from a good East Coast medical school (thank you Blue Cross PPO) says I should tell my dentists...but I just can't. All of them suit up now anyway so I don't see the point. I'm more at risk from infection than them, and anyway because of a heart condition I have to be heavily medicated prior to each dental appointment. I don't think that sentence works, but I'm in a hurry,

Check with your local AIDS foundation, they usually have lists of dentists who will take HIVers. The Americans with Disabilities Act makes it illegal for a dentist as a provider of a service to the public to discriminate against you because you have HIV. But do you really want someone under a court order in your mouth with a drill?

Good luck,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #175469 - 02/16/06 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone.. Now I here also I have to tell my eye doctor because HIV screws around there to! WTF!!!!!!!! Ill let you know later when my drill boy tells me... Get lost or come in and let me stuff you mouth with cotton again..

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #175472 - 02/16/06 05:13 PM

Hi Eric
I agree that you need to tell ALL your health care providers your HIV status. The eye doctor is supposed to check for CMV Retinitis...dont know if they still do that but it used to be a big concern. There are dentists here who gladly work with the HIV community ...we know who they are and recommend them to friends. I hope you will be aware of any discrimination and not put up with it.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Anonymous
Unregistered

#175500 - 02/16/06 07:42 PM

why tell?? YOu don't have to. He/She has to use precautions. Or go to an HIV friendly dentist. I've heard bad stories from freaked out dentists once you told.

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #175514 - 02/16/06 09:23 PM

i called our local ADAP program & they gave me a list of dentists that specialize in adult dentistry for HIV+ people.

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #175516 - 02/16/06 09:27 PM

what about eyes??!! i have never had any issues with my eyes. a bout of pink eye twice in my life... and a metal splinter when i was 9. and then there was the time last year i stabbed my eye with my mascara brush. but what else do i need to do now? i'm trying to jump the Hep A & B vacc with my insurance company. better get the wheels movin for my eyeballs.

AIDS2HIV
Legend

#175561 - 02/17/06 12:08 AM

as hiv/aids progesses, it can cause retinitis aka blurred vision,and if left untreated can lead to blindness.....i was graced with this also*...My eyes are terrible, since diagnosis of aids, im now required glasses. but this is all, just like anything else with this disease....if ya take care of yourself in all aspects , all the time, ya can avoid this stuff.....Take Care & God Bless

--------------------

AIDS2HIV
Legend

#175562 - 02/17/06 12:13 AM

as hiv/aids progresses it can caused retinitis, it affects the retina, causing blurred vision, if left untreated it can progress into blindness. However, if you take care of yourself in all aspects, you wont have to worry about this stuff...its most commen in the aids stages. I have been graced with this stuff as well....Ive never required glasses until i was diagnosed, and my vision sux without them....but this is what happens when ya dont take care of yaself....

--------------------

AIDS2HIV
Legend

#175563 - 02/17/06 12:15 AM

sorry for the dble post...must be having probs with the server here at the boards...

--------------------

Bear60
Legend

#175649 - 02/17/06 11:41 AM

OK
I suppose if you have no choice: for instance you are not "out" to anyone about your status, that you should keep it secret. But there are choices for most people and the choice is usually to select your health care providers based on the recommendation of your AIDS Service Organization. That way the dentist or eye doctor can look for problems specifically related to HIV. If your dentist does not know your HIV status and overlooks something that might be important because he does not know to look, then you are in even bigger trouble. The eye doc is supposed to look for HIV related CMV retinitis.
In short, Mr Anon, by keeping your status secret you may be jepordizing your health.

--------------------

Bear60
Legend

#175652 - 02/17/06 11:50 AM

You know, its hard to sepatate the HIV problems from the Opportunistic problems. I think HIV related retinitis is caused by Cytomegalovirus (sp?) otherwise known as CMV, and it doesn't just affect eyesight but can be a bowel or stomach problem as well and I believe it affects other internal organs. Opportunistic infections are THE big thing to watch out for and prevent from becoming a serious problem. Here is where its important for your doctor to know your status so these things can be prevented from becoming life threatening.

--------------------

DavidSolomon
All Star

Reged: 02/17/06
Loc: Gilbert (Phoenix) Arizona
      #176119 - 02/20/06 06:44 PM

As you know I am going through reading some of the letters, replying to many. And yes, I do catch some of yours. After all, you've beeen a big part of my "welcome wagon", right? What a beautiful positive attitude you have. I see a grin and a smile there in every one you write. Tells me your stress level is lower than many. Which is a good thing. I truely hope you continue to do well.

By the way, how's drill boy :)
(see, I know I made you smile)
david.

--------------------
David

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4742

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3