Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Scotchula
New User

Reged: 07/29/05
Need some support and prayers..
      #173340 - 02/04/06 09:29 AM

I just found out yesterday that my medical assistence has been discontinued. The $12,000.00 I made last year was too much to be on M.A. The biggest issue I have right now is that I only have 4 days worth of meds left, and absolutly no way to pay for them. To say I am a little scared would be an understatment. I am in a mad rush to find out another way of finacing my prescription, which is Sustive/Epizcom. I am now in the process of applying for ADAP, but being the weekend this may not happen quickly enough. I guess I just need your thoughts and prayers, not only to find a way to get my presciption renewed, but also that I dont freak out any more then I already have/am.

Also, I guess I am wondering. With 4 days of meds left, would it be advisable for me to perhaps space them out? Take them evey other day or as prescribed until they are gone? If I go the latter route, how bad will it be if I am without meds for a while?

Scared in PA,
Scotchula

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Need some support and prayers.. new
      #173344 - 02/04/06 10:19 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It must be very stressful, and my prayers are certainly with you.

I would urge you to talk to your doctor about spacing pills out or skipping doses etc., since only he/she knows what your counts are and the effect such action may have on your health.

Have you contacted your local AIDS support organization like ActionAIDS in Philly to see if there is anything they can do for you?

Additionally, perhaps your local STD clinic or major metropolitan hospital like the Infectious Diseases Dept. at the U of P Hospital may be able to provide you with some interim drugs? The latter can be reached @ 800-789-7366.

I know that in some cities (e.g. San Francicisco) STD clinics provide emergency PEP, so perhaps they would be abe/willing to provide you with a few weeks of meds or at least intervene on your behalf. If you are a gay man, you can contact your local gay and lesbian health clinic as well. The PA state Pharmacuetical Help line @ 1-800-922-9834 may also be able to point you in the right direction with respect to drugs, if if you haven't already tried calling them.

Sorry, I'm probably not being much help. Where I live meds are free for those who need them, so I'm always shocked when I read things like this. Again, I'm sorry you are going through this. HIV is a hard enough disease to live manageably with without having to worry about something like this. . I hope that everything will work out.

Jessie
Regular

Reged: 06/15/04
      #173429 - 02/05/06 05:07 AM

Hiya,

I am sorry as well that You have to deal with this shit about the meds but You shouldbe able to go to Your doc and there usually is a return of meds that have not been used or from peeps that have had to have med changes and they return the meds to there doctors that are not used...You should probably not skip doses unless that is what You have first discussed with Your doctor. I really think Your best bet is to consult with the docs first, they should be able to help...Do You have a Case Manager? Usually they can also be of assistance in these times...I know that this is hard and must be so stressing for You but one little step at a time..call your doc and start from there..I am sure they will work out something until ADAP kicks in....this way you will not have to be off meds for any time at ALL!!!! I wish You the best of luck and i am sure all will work out...Keep us posted...=)))
Always,
~Jessie~
HIV+ since 2-3-04
"While there is Breath, there is Hope.....Life".

Bear60
Veteran

Reged: 12/21/05
      #173484 - 02/05/06 12:47 PM

I live in PA and I know that there are lots of resources where you can turn. Ist step is check with your doctor. There are free clinics here in Philadelphia that get $ from Ryan White and other sources. The Lax Clinic at Philadelphia Fight and PCHA and Action Aids all have programs. Where are you located???

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Scotchula
New User

#173485 - 02/05/06 12:52 PM

Thank you everyone for your support and ideas. I appreciate it. As far as ADAP is concerned, I am under the impression it only takes a couple days to open an account on my behalf. So I suppose, worse case senerio, I will only be off meds for two or three days. Half the problem with this is that this all happend on a weekend when everything is closed. I am a little upset at my caseworker since after she cut off my MA I called her and she didnt realize that I was on health sustaining meds. Athough I dont know that even if she DID know that I was on meds, that that wold have changed anything. The only thing is she informed me via a message on my phone 10 days earlier that she was discontinuing my cash benafits, which I knew would happen and was cool with, on the first of the month. I just wish she would have said this was also going to end my MA as well, then I could have had this application for ADAP in the works two weeks ago. I will call my Doc tomorrow, but I really dont think that will get me anywhere. I really think my only hope is maybe to get a partial refill of my scripts perhaps to last me for a week and pay for it out of pocket. The thing is I have NO idea how much my meds cost at all. I think the main reason I will call my doc is to get his opnion on what a few days 'holiday' on my regamin will do.

I am trying not to worry about it since there is really nothing more I can do. I just hope that I dont develope a resistence to the meds I am on in the (hopefully) short time I am off of them.

Thanks again for your messages of support!
Scotchula

Scotchula
New User

Bear! new
      #173488 - 02/05/06 01:30 PM

As a fellow PA'er I sent you a private message. Check it out!, Thanks!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2462

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3