Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Job related HIV experiences
      #167030 - 12/14/05 11:55 PM

Hi,
I was wondering if having HIV has ever become a problem for anyone in the workplace? Has anyone ever had an experience of discrimination? Does anyone keep their HIV a secret to prevent this? Or has anyone ever had a possitive experience result from being honest about their HIV?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MsLola13
Fanatic

Reged: 12/12/05
Loc: United States
Re: Job related HIV experiences new
      #167040 - 12/15/05 07:31 AM

hello,

1st of all, its not your jobs business to know.. thats personal and can be kept confidential. My boss and I are very very good friends so she knows my situation. She was diagnosed with MS a few years back and was having it rough, so i confided in her my secret. She's cool when i have to give blood and go to the doc.

But in all honesty, she's never treated me different nor do i want her too.

Other than her, no one knows. I keep it to myself. I don't like to air my dirty laundry at work anyway. LOL

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #167049 - 12/15/05 10:35 AM

I would strongly recommend that you keep it private. It's not a dirty little secret...it's just none of their business. You never know how people will react, and you definitely don't want to risk access to health benefits if you those come with your job. You never know...you could float to the top of the "lay-off" list the next time the economy dips simply because you are + (and that's assuming your employer follows the law and doesn't fire you outright).

The one and only reason I can think of to tell would be if you are in a position in which your performance is directly impacted by HIV...surgeons and pilots, for example. If you're not one of those, then it's none of your employer's business.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #167051 - 12/15/05 10:40 AM

Shortly after the Americans With Disabilities Act was passed I was denied a lease renewal after I disclosed that I was HIV+ to my landlord. I complained to HHS who did an investigation and the landlord was forced to pay damages. I considered a private civil action but decided against it as the HHS action had consumed 6 months of my life.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

HM64
Unregistered

#167217 - 12/17/05 12:11 PM

I am newly infected with HIV. My future doctors visits will be thru my insurance. My employer will know all about it thru that, I would assume. What are your thoughts about this?

MsLola13
Fanatic

Reged: 12/12/05
Loc: United States
      #167265 - 12/17/05 09:57 PM

[quote]I am newly infected with HIV. My future doctors visits will be thru my insurance. My employer will know all about it thru that, I would assume. What are your thoughts about this? [/quote]

Your status is confidential... the insurance company receives the bills from your doc, who is probably an infectious disease doctor (mine is), so for all they know, you might have a bad kidney. I wouldn't worry about it... they can't do anything for that would be discrimination!

Well, at least i don't worry about mine.. and i've never had a problem in the almost 5 yrs i've been poz. My company has changed insurance three times (4th time this january) and i've never encountered a problem.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #167299 - 12/18/05 11:44 AM

I discosed to both my work places. The love and caring that I received was overwhelming. Of course I live in a small mountain town and everyone knows everyone. So eventually, this would come around. I am being proactive. I am also highly regarded in both invironments. Disclosure can also be looked at as informing your boss, that way there is no plausable deniability. In my area of work, and where I work is not an issue. I did not like walking around with my secrets since these are my friends who care a great deal for me.

I think everyones way of dealing with this is different and should be weighed carefully. First, what is the benefit of telling them. What is your reason for telling them (close working relationships)?

I know there are protections in America and if it were to be found out your were fired, or skipped over for promotion due to your status, it will most likely be found out and you would be in a position of legal action against that company or individual.

Basquo
Unregistered

#167353 - 12/19/05 01:59 PM

Why the example of surgeons and pilots?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2403

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3