Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

?? on SSDI fight, recs on jobs at home
      #162527 - 10/23/05 09:13 AM

I have filed for SSDI, been denied, now at hearing stage. Long story short, HIV since 1990. No opportunistic infections, but several health problems: severe depression
insomnia anxiety allergies female problems sinus problems
flu like illness migraines fatigue, and now arthritis (mainly in
knees and elbows) and herpes simplex. My HIV dr says HIV numbers too good (HIV now undectable again, CD4 500>) so won't get SS based on HIV alone. I had to take early retirement from full time job that went to part time then I missed too much work. I absolutely can't work, my health is too unpredictable. (I have been told by many for years to quit and file, but too stubborn and scared). I plan to get a lawyer and contact a state senator who helped someone I know with fewer health problems get SS. Any suggestions? Now being tested by a psychologist for cognitive abilities (I do have some memory and concentration problems, probably due to sleep meds, so I won't get it based on mental disability,
these are minor problems). Any ideas? I plan to fight this to the end. My family, b/f etc are totally behind me and will do affidavits as to my depression, etc. what they witness. I need all the help I can get. Next question, if denied after legal, etc. I want to work at home, maybe medical coding? Any ideas? Anyone where I'm at or been at that point and have advice? Thanks, and thinking of everyone here affected by HIV.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ?? on SSDI fight, recs on jobs at home new
      #162551 - 10/23/05 09:41 PM

use the panic attack card , tell them you get panic attacks daily

williamb

Reged: 05/29/04
      #162762 - 10/26/05 03:27 AM

I received SSD due to things other than my HIV status. The main reasons were due to mental illness, and back problems. If you get a lawyer, I am almost positive that you will succeed in getting you benefits. I wish you all the best. I applied 3 times and was denied and finally got a lawyer and went in fron of a judge and had no problems at all getting it. That was back in 2003, but they gave me my benefits back to when I first started filing in 1996. I wish you all the best in this journey. There are lawyers out there who specialize in this area. If they take your case, you will most likely get your benefits. They are not going to take a case unless they are going to get something out of it. Check with Social Security, I don't remember, but the lawyer can only take a certain percentage of your settlement. I believe it is 1/3, but again I don't remember. Bill

soimnotalone
Fanatic

Reged: 10/28/05
      #163298 - 11/03/05 06:47 PM

I think I am right behind you, my SS worker called me today and asked why can't I work since I have been gaining weight (30+ yrs old weighed 85lbs in jul and now weigh 104...go figure) I reminded her that my cd4 was at 5 and vl was 44k but she continued to remind me that I was gaining weight, for some reason the rash, loose stools, severe depression and the confusion I go through after talking, driving or even reading does not mean a thing to SS, I even brought up the oportunistic infection stage that I am in and with it being "flu" season I am scared to go to the store, and church not to even think about work...face it some people are just nasty, they don't wash their hands or cover their mouths when they cough. Maybe I am overly scared---but I am alive, a decision has not been made yet, but from the way it sounds I am gaining weight so I need to go back to work.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2224

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3