Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
williamb

Reged: 05/29/04
Hip Pain
      #162486 - 10/22/05 12:24 PM

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have intense pain in my hip. I just had an x-ray done and it doesn't show anything. My HIV doc just set up an orthopedic consult. I am taking pain meds for my back and my leg pain, but the meds are not even coming close to helping releive the pain in my hip. I could sure use some help, if anyone else it going through this problem.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
Re: Hip Pain new
      #162498 - 10/22/05 06:47 PM

i have suffered from hip pain for about 3 years now. it starts in my lower back on one side then shoots down my leg. i chalked it upto my siatic nerve. it comes and goes and sometimes alternates sides. went to doc. they found nothing wrong after an xray. kind of a pinching pain, but shooting also. is this the same pain you have? i take flexeril for it. it works very good, but makes me very tired.
daisey

Anonymous
Unregistered

#162522 - 10/23/05 04:23 AM

I have the same thing. The only way to truly find out what is going on is request an MRI. That's how I found out I have avaiscular necrosis. I don't blame it entirely on HIV. I have had some of it for a long time. However, with the PI's, the pain has worsened and they have found that my hip joint is actually dying. You can write me at Skeet2853@aol.com

exitrow

Reged: 10/18/05
      #162542 - 10/23/05 08:03 PM

I have had intense hip pain for about a year now! I was very athletic in high school and college and figured it had soemthing to do with that... but now am curious if it is related to hiv? sometimes its so sharp that its difficult to swing around to get out of bed! its directly on the joint and comes and goes. ive never had an xray done, but now my interest is peaked!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#162606 - 10/24/05 12:37 PM

I had pain in my left hip, low back and left leg and after two years of complaining and hip injections, I finally got an MRI which showed Avascular Necrosis. This is getting to be a more frequent occurrance and no one can say if it is a side effect of the meds, or HIV causing it. This past July I had the hip replaced (by minimally invasive technique) with outstanding results. The recovery process was very speedy (after 8 weeks I was out mowing my lawn) and now I'm living a pain free life! Sweet!! Sorry you are having this problem, but you will have to get aggressive and insist on an MRI because for some reason, Docs are slow to respond to these symptoms. If you want to find a Doctor in your area who does the hip replacement by this technique, go to http://www.zimmer.com and follow the "hip replacement" links. Good luck, and demand the MRI!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#162754 - 10/26/05 01:48 AM

Thank you so very much for sharing your story with me. I was starting to feel like I was the only person having this problem, but after reading some of the posts, I now realize it is something that is wide spread. You have been very helpful and I appreciate all the information you have shared. I am going to insist on an MRI/CAT Scan to find out exactly what the problem is.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#162755 - 10/26/05 01:53 AM

I too am experiencing sharp, intense pain. I have had back problems for many years and just assumed the pain was coming from that. When the pain medication wasn't helping with the hip pain I started thinking that there was something more going on. I hope that you find out what and where your pain is coming from. As someone in one of the posts said, you must be aggressive and get the MRI/CAT Scan because in my case and I'm sure in many other cases it does not show up on an x-ray. Good luck to you and please keep me updated on your progress. My email address is wlittleboots@aol.com if you would like to contact me personally.

williamb

Reged: 05/29/04
      #162758 - 10/26/05 03:15 AM

Daisy: I also thought it was from my siatic nerve. I had back surgery in 1989 and quite frankly my back has been giving me pain ever since. I also was in 2 car collisions which made it even worse. But the pain in my hip is so intense and severe that it keeps me awake at night and I am unable to do anything. Very difficult to walk, sit, lay down or stand. I sure hope we can find out what is going on and can live a life free from this pain. I've heard a lot of folks had hip replacement surgery, but don't know if there is an alternative to this. Be well Daisy and if you would like to contact me personally at my email address it is wlittleboots@aol.com. Take care my friend. Bill

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #162818 - 10/26/05 05:16 PM

you know i can understand the pain that you have. let me ask you this without being to personal- do you get constipation from time to time with this also? i usually just try to curl up in a ball, my leg will hurt, my lower back, and it is just unbearable to put pressure on it. i have had this problem long before the hiv, so i can tell you it is not realted to hiv, at least mine isn't. if you figure it out let me know!
daisey

Anonymous
Unregistered

#165342 - 11/26/05 01:41 PM

Certain HIV meds are known to cause hip pain/deteriation of the bone. Your Dr. should be setting up an MRI if for nothing sele to bet a baseline. Yes; I have been suffering with hip pain for yrs. now. Neurontin has always helped in the past. Best of luck hon.

Terry
aka Daddy T

TLCramer56@msn.com

themusician

Reged: 12/23/06
      #226225 - 03/24/07 04:15 PM

hi there - having the same symptoms, had my MRI and X-rays -

was the onset of your pain sudden? it started suddenly one morning three months ago - and hasn't really gotten better or worse - groin pain in my inner thigh is the worst part - which prevents me from raising my leg sideways-

waiting to hear the results of the scans - my doctor mentioned AVI to me yesterday - and now i'm scared - wanting to hear some GOOD news about hip replacement - and it sounds like you are happy! care to describe your success more? thank you!

mntwister

Reged: 09/24/08
      #242337 - 09/24/08 01:03 PM

I had hip pain 6-7 weeks ago and they did an x-ray and it showed nothing, but after I had the MRI it shows I had final stage Avascular Necrosis, in which on BOTH hips the ball joint is crushed. I have researched quite a bit and found out that after living with HIV for a long time, the prot.inhibitors as well as HIV may cause this. I need to have both hips replaced, and soon because I can hardly walk. If you are in pain in your hips, request (or demand) an MRI of both hips because if you catch it earlier than they did mine, you may have other options that can avoid replacement surgery.

Has anyone on this thread had the same disease of the hips?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8011

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3