Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Harry W
Unregistered

Attitudes towards HIV and aids
      #161944 - 10/15/05 11:48 PM

Hi,
I am a student at Fordham and our professor gave us a research project concerning "The attitudes towards HIV/AIDS.
We are to find a research problem and a research question.
I would like to ask all of you, as to what do you think my research project should encompass? Which part of the population? Where do you think there is a gap in research , where my research would be helpful. In what areas of the population do any of the readers feel that attitude is hurting or helping them? ............I look forward to your answers.
Thanks.
Harry W.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jenn
Guardian

Reged: 09/14/05
Re: Attitudes towards HIV and aids new
      #161945 - 10/16/05 12:29 AM

Start telling people that you are HIV+. Your family, friends, dentist, partner - and write about THAT. How you are treated, reacted to, accepted, rejected, etc.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#161996 - 10/17/05 02:11 PM

If the person you have been having sex with (unprotected) just told you that they found out they are hiv positive, what would YOU do and feel? Would you continue dating them? Would you still want to have frequent sex with them?
If you broke up and your best friend started dating them, would you confide in your best friend that your former partner is positive?

Discrimination and stigma are rampant....HIV is not an easy thing to live with because of this.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#162025 - 10/17/05 11:35 PM

Not everyone contracts HIV through unproteted sex or drug use. How about dealing with that population. Problem is I don't think many would discuss the issue. This is the great unspoken infectous disease. It is way too risky for people to reveal their status. It's amusing that this is an assignment for an undergraduate at Fordham. Your professor cannot begin to know what being HIV + entails no matter how one was infected.

Marco Aurélio
Unregistered

#162225 - 10/20/05 07:12 AM

Dear Harry,
Don´t be affraid, I felt the same thing many years ago, I´m now with 57 years and I´m better than ever, In the begin I had less than 200 CD4 in that time (1994) we have no way to measure the viral load, here in Brazil, now is indectable. Sorry because my poor english, I speak only portuguese, but send me a e-mail, I´ve many thing to tell you.
Hugz,
Marco Aurélio
masilva20041993@yahoo.com.br
55 81 32689143

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #162332 - 10/20/05 10:25 PM

This post above is one that interests me...

if hiv is not contracted thru unprotected sex with an infected individual, or thru drug use--what other reasons are you thinking that is not brought up?? the possibility of an occupational exposure (as in a needlestick....which even these days have dropped drastically). What do you mean, this is the great "unspoken" infectious disease? in what other ways is hiv infectious in your world.?? and WHY would it be too risky for people to reveal their status. if it was such an ABNORMAL way of catching it....other than some way of putting themselves at risk at one time or another.....then please....do share with me the other forms of transmission that YOU know about. because I feel as though you are not spreading any truth for this persons project.

I am very interested in what you think?? How else is it transmitted. Perhaps you should read the section on this site in regards to transmission. because what you will find there...are the ways that you namely say are not the ONLY ways of getting it. so i am interested in your knowledge about transmission???

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #163410 - 11/05/05 08:12 AM

How are you preparing to pose your question? All good research starts with a really good question that doesn't have an answer. Have you read any of the myriad of books on HIV/AIDS like "And the Band Played On" or "Dancing on the Moon" or watched "Philadelphia" or "Long Time Companion" or seen the play "Angels in America"? Whose attitudes are you interested in - people with HIV/AIDS, doctors, etc? Is your analysis to be historical, economic, political, social, psychological, medical, religious, etc? How do you feel about HIV/AIDS? How do your friends feel about it? Why not go to a strange place and tell them you have AIDS and see what the people around you do?

I have found that most people are afraid of the disease but compassionate towards the sufferrer. In the gay community, AIDS radicalized us more than even Anita Brown, the Christopher Street Riots, or Jerry Falwell. Nothing is more determined than a queen with nothing left to lose. My attitude when confronted with hostility is "What are you going to do to me, give me AIDS. Sorry done. What else you got?" Best said with two snaps, a round the world, and a head side to side.

Your professor is a very wise man, show him what you got!

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#163475 - 11/06/05 09:30 PM

First of all good luck with your research project. I can only tell you that we are so behind in this country on being educated about the symptoms of AIDS with prolonged life and the implications of the new life sustenance drugs. People in America are now living in the new millinium vs dying in the 80s and 90s but with what quality of life? Opportunistic infections, broken families, harboring the secret, potentially spreading the disease and hooking-up with other HIV/AIDS partners which can prove to be deadly. I can tell you this, that the judicial system in this country has not a clue about the symptoms of this disease and what it means to "live" with AIDS. Dementia is a very real symptom of people living with AIDS long term and patients should be treated similiarly to Alzheimer patients. Denial has gone on too long with many AIDS patients, claiming only HIV status. The biggest victims are not always the patients themselves but the families and loved ones who must mask each day not telling or showing society their fears for their loved ones because it's too shameful. Being close to someone with HIV/AIDS is a very difficult and hurtful situation in America.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3457

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3