Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Christine Maggiore's daughter is dead
      #160622 - 09/26/05 01:16 PM

Sad news about a leader of the insane AIDS denialists....

Aids sceptic faces probe after death of daughter

26 September 2005 01:45

The leader of an United States movement challenging conventional science on HIV/Aids is being investigated for child endangerment after her three-year-old daughter died of the disease.

Christine Maggiore, the child's HIV-positive mother, denies HIV leads to Aids and refused to take anti-retroviral drugs during pregnancy. She breastfed her daughter, Eliza Jane, and refused to have her tested for the virus.

Four months after the toddler's death, Maggiore and her husband, Robin Scovill, are challenging the coroner's finding that she died from HIV/Aids-related pneumonia. Maggiore told the Los Angeles Times she had no regrets.

"Would I redo anything based on what happened? I don't think I would. I think I acted with the best information and the best of intentions with all my heart," she said in an interview published on Sunday.

The newspaper reported that the Los Angeles police were investigating the couple for endangering their daughter's life, and the local social services were considering whether the couple should be forced to test their eight-year-old son, Charlie.

Maggiore was diagnosed with HIV in 1992, but has not shown symptoms of Aids. She began to question the scientific link between the virus and the disease, and wrote a book entitled What If Everything You Thought You Knew About Aids Was Wrong? The book made her a minor celebrity.

She launched an organisation, Alive and Well Aids Alternatives, to promote her ideas, met the South African President, Thabo Mbeki, who is also a sceptic, and appeared on primetime television talkshows.

She told ABC News that she refused to take antiviral drugs despite substantial evidence that they dramatically reduced the risk of the mother transferring the virus to her child because "I did not want to expose my growing child to toxins during pregnancy".

Jay Gordon, a Santa Monica paediatrician who treated Eliza Jane, said he regretted not testing for HIV when he examined her for an apparent ear infection 11 days before her death.

"It's possible that the whole situation could have been changed if one of the doctors involved -- one of the three doctors involved -- had intervened," Dr Gordon, told the LA Times. "Do I think I'm blameless in this? No, I'm not blameless." - Guardian Newspapers

http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/&articleid=251975

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Christine Maggiore's daughter is dead new
      #160929 - 10/01/05 11:37 AM

Sadly alot of people die from pneumonia every year the young and old are particularly vunerable. The Coroner being in the mainstream medical establishment would draw the obvious conclusion. Unfortunately, too many people believe in HIV -AIDS and have never bothered thinking further. As your reading this why don't you look in detail at the dissenting opinions, then make up your own mind

Anonymous
Unregistered

#161051 - 10/03/05 04:01 PM

I did. There is no viable dissenting opinion. Just antiquated arguments. Now you won't believe the L.A. coroner? Healthy 3 year olds do not die from pneumonia. They respond to antibiotics! Read the case histories of children who died from pneumonia before you say anything!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#161997 - 10/17/05 02:32 PM

Christine was completely irresponsible. She can choose not to take treatment if she wishes. but the evidence is overwhelming that HIV is transmitted through breast feeding or through labor and delivery. Her delusions cost her innocent daughter her life. Shame on her! Just because she is clearly a long term nonprogressor does not mean that we are all so lucky.

bradford
Fanatic

Reged: 01/15/04
Loc: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
      #162203 - 10/19/05 09:46 PM

Christine Maggiore, HIV+, a voice for HIV not causing AIDS and the toxicity of HIV/AIDS medications; her 3 year old daughter died recently of PCP (AIDS related pneumonia).

I have seen far too often, people choosing not to use the HIV/AIDS medications, especially when circumstances or their own blood work suggests they should. Including me! I was fortunate that when I could not tolerate the medications for PCP pneumonia (which occurred because my cd4 count had fallen below 200) and on my death bed; it was the HIV/AIDS medications that not only eradicated the PCP but also boosted the cd4 count above 300 and eradicated the viral load to undetectable. Sure, I have had the experience of getting through some of the side effects, but I have also been able to live, with a quality of life, for the past 8 years on these drugs. Which I would not have had otherwise and the same can be said for countless others.

I used proper nutrition, dietary and vitamin supplements for over a dozen years, without using HIV/AIDS medications, yet there did come a time when drug intervention was necessary. This brings me now, to living with HIV for over 20 years! CD4 count 690, and viral load continually undetectable thanks to kaletra, 3tc and tenofovir!

Lives are being saved by the work being done by the pharmaceuticals companies. This should not be overlooked or underestimated.

I am saddened that Christine Maggiore has lost her daughter to AIDS. However, hopefully now; she and other HIV/AIDS dissidents will recognize the truth; HIV does cause AIDS!

Bradford McIntyre, HIV+ since 1984

Vancouver, Canada
www.PositivelyPositive.ca

--------------------
Bradford McIntyre

Skeeter

Reged: 10/23/05
Loc: Kentucky
      #162524 - 10/23/05 05:03 AM

I'm sorry you had to go through what you did to realize that, yes, sad to say, HIV/AIDS is real. There are some who are fortunate enough to not have to take medication right away. I had been diagnosed over two years before I was taking AZT. That's all there was at the time. I lived through the dying years. I nearly died of PCP in July of 1995. Later that year I started Crixivan. I did realize how bad I felt until I started feeling better.
We all process things differently. It's obvious that Christine doesn't care about taking her children on this ugly journey to the end that has come to her daughter. In the process of her denial, she has lost a child. Key word here: denial.
I've had some dear friends who ask why I believed that HIV caused AIDS. Well, what we fail to do is remember what AIDS stands for. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. So no, it's your non existant immune system that gets you the diagnosis. duh.
What we do need to do is this. Support one another, respect one another's opinions and demand more assistance for all of us.
I diagnosed in 1989. I married this disease and was decieved by the man who infected me. He knew he was infected but chose to hide it from me. He's gone. His death caused me to get tested in 1989.
I've been a positive poz since then. I refuse to let this disease take over my life. I still work and plan to retire in two years.
The disease has brought me many new friends in all walks of life. That is the good part. The bad part? I miss my friends.
Remain blessed.
Skeeter

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2898

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3