Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
TwinsDad
Regular

Reged: 07/13/05
Loc: USA
What are my chances of living a good life?
      #159263 - 08/29/05 05:12 PM

Hi,

I was infected 6 months ago and I was wondering will all the treatment and medicines that we currently have If I will be able to live a good life after all. I would like to hear some real opinions from people that have been infected for a long time. Being new to this is very depressing and scary. I would love to have the feedback from you.

Thank You for your time.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: What are my chances of living a good life? new
      #159275 - 08/29/05 09:02 PM

It defiantly depends on you, I have seen many come and go and a lot of people don't give life a chance. I have lived a very productive full life and I do not see myself slowing down. The option is yours of what you want to do with what you have. I do my best to stay fit, and even went 15 years before I needed to start meds. You may be different but life is what you make it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#159316 - 08/30/05 07:27 PM

Yes, you can have a normal, happy life. Medications keep getting better all the time and if you take them properly you can stop the virus dead in it's tracks. It won't leave your body but it won't spread and cause you problems. Normal is a relative term---you'll have to have regular doctor visits, lab work, etc but then so do diabetics and others with 'chronic manageable diseases' as HIV is often referred to in those terms. I've recently joined some HIV dating sites and have met many who have had our condition for 10 years or more and are doing fine. I was recently diagnosed too so I understand your fear completely. What I've learned is that the people who died of AIDS didn't know they were sick until it was too late---we are not in that category---we caught it in time.
Until there's a cure there's nothing you can do about it but try to live as normal a life as possible. Don't torture yourself over it and if you're depressed you'll need medication for that too until you get over your hump. Stay Well.

tootoo

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: union county NJ
      #159385 - 08/31/05 09:50 PM

Hey twinsdad ,
I'm sorry to say that u can't possibly know that u was infected 6 monrs ago instead u could have been diagnose for hiv + 6 monts ago that i'm agree with .In fact since u r in the + family ,ur life is in ur hands ,how u behave is what will make u live longer and the key is to take regularly ur meds and have something to live for ,something u should consider as a challenge for u , either to see ur kids graduate in college or not to give up because ur family depend on u ,whatever u think could boost or energize u to stay alive .Everyone has a different vew ,as i said u need to set a goal .It's been 15 years for me ,from the worse of the worse ,now i feel great ,if i could do it so could u . Good luck tootoo

Anonymous
Unregistered

#159436 - 09/01/05 02:26 PM

I was infected on Feb 17 05. After an high risk exposure. I was tested back on Dec 04. No problems. I started to feel bad after 3 days from exposure. conclusion: I was infected by this lady.
I am trying to get a overall picture of my future life. Thank You for your comments.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#159487 - 09/02/05 08:00 PM

Well, I've lived with HIV for 20+ years with no significant health problems. It is my understanding now, that the life expectancy of those of us with HIV is the same as someone with hypertension. So, go live, be happy, and take care of youself!

Monchhichi
Guru

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Florida
      #159510 - 09/04/05 12:41 AM

I agree with Gman. It is up to you. I would like to tell you an abbreviated version of my husband's story.
In June of '96 my hubsand was diagnosed by a cruel doctor who obviously needed to work on his bedside manner. He went to the hospital because of being violently ill. He was told by this Dr. that he had AIDS and had 6 months to a year to live. My husband since then has fought many battles with this disease and won. He has fought many battles with himself also. My husband has tried to commit what I call the "quitter's way out suicide", which is he quit taking his meds at least 3 different times. He has been down to 4 T-cells. Yet through all of this he has prevailed. Think about it, that damned Dr. said 6 months to a year. My husband has been very lucky. Not all are. Especially the way mine liked to play russian roulette. Take care of yourself. That is the main thing. Good luck.

--------------------
Never forget: Life is too precious to take for granted.

suzee
Unregistered

#159516 - 09/04/05 07:20 AM

hi, i agree with Gman, live your life to the best you can. be selective in determining who needs to know. consider yourself to be medically challedged rather than " being sick". It is important that you educate yourself and confront your doctor with any questions u may have. the manage care of your health will take on more responsibility on your part. for example if before you went to the doctor 1x per yr, you now witll need to consider going every three months in getting lab work and doctor visits. all this means is that now you will have to allow time for yourself. it is important that you select a primary care doctor, and infectious disease doctor and make sure that they talk to each other. never attempt to treat yourself over the counter stuff. listen to your body,any sore, or rashes,pain tell your doctor at least with in 3 days.every one reacts and responds to this virus differently. ok thats all now, I'm sure it is more then you asked for. I am a survivor of HIv 10 yrs. and I am now 20x3 smile. life just becomes so special because you are special

suzee
Unregistered

#159517 - 09/04/05 07:20 AM

hi, i agree with Gman, live your life to the best you can. be selective in determining who needs to know. consider yourself to be medically challedged rather than " being sick". It is important that you educate yourself and confront your doctor with any questions u may have. the manage care of your health will take on more responsibility on your part. for example if before you went to the doctor 1x per yr, you now witll need to consider going every three months in getting lab work and doctor visits. all this means is that now you will have to allow time for yourself. it is important that you select a primary care doctor, and infectious disease doctor and make sure that they talk to each other. never attempt to treat yourself over the counter stuff. listen to your body,any sore, or rashes,pain tell your doctor at least with in 3 days.every one reacts and responds to this virus differently. ok thats all now, I'm sure it is more then you asked for. I am a survivor of HIv 10 yrs. and I am now 20x3 smile. life just becomes so special because you are special

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #159653 - 09/07/05 02:30 PM

Who among us can know his odds of living a good life? Is a good lfe a long life? If so then each time we risk eating a piece of bacon or a step from a kerb, we play dice with our chances for longevity. Since we have no control over the amount of time we spend in living bodies, a definition of a good life as a long life seems incorrect.

ScotCharles

Is a good life a meaningful life? What is meant by meaningful -authentic, purposeful, actualised? Whatever the definition of meaningful we choose, we have the opportunity for meaning from moment to moment, regardless of the length of life. In this search for the authentic life, we have a choice that is beyond the vagaries of chance. HIV does not hinder our ability to make choices, it merely redefines the set of possibilities.

HIV is a tool not a barrier, my friend.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Ikanliv2
Unregistered

#159728 - 09/08/05 06:59 PM

I was diagnosied HIV positive in 1994, and I have been on a specific regiment for the past 11yrs. I thought in the beginning that I would be in the grave but I am now 66yrs. old I have 7 grand children, my health is good my viral load undetectable I am very high spirited and work everyday to help those such as you to understand that having HIV/AIDS is not a death sentence so live your life to the fullest.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5131

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3