Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
CulinaryGal
Unregistered

Best Condoms and Lube?
      #158729 - 08/16/05 05:56 PM

Hey there!

I'm an HIV + female who's starting a new relationship with an HIV - man.

We have been waiting til my most recent doctor's appointment to have sex.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend the best quality condoms for mixed status couples.

Has anybody had any good luck or feedback on any specific brands? Also, if anyone can recommend any lubes or that sort of thing...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ang89
Regular

Reged: 12/24/04
Re: Best Condoms and Lube? new
      #158746 - 08/16/05 08:51 PM

I use water based lubes like ky jelly. Its supposed to be the best. I like lifestyle condoms cause they give them free at the hiv clinic. So they must be approved. Just always check expiration date.

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #158766 - 08/17/05 11:47 AM

All Latex ones are safe. Be sure to use water based lubricants only with latex. Oil can weaken latex. There are also the new polyurethane ones out. The polyurethane offers the added advantages of being thinner yet stronger than latex, and they transmit heat from person to person, so the sensation is closer to what it would feel like when not wearing anything. The FDA has not formally approved the urethane for HIV transmission, but doctors have generally stated that they are safe (the FDA just takes longer). Lifestyle, Durex, Trojan....they're all pretty similar. Just be sure to get latex or polyurethane. If you choose latex, the lubricant must be water based.

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #158781 - 08/17/05 03:33 PM

Hey CulinaryGirl,

hows it going? haven't heard from you in a while....hope all is well. (guess it is pretty good, w/ a new bo)*smile*!! its great that you both are willing to learn the safest measures for sex. as you know my hubby is neg and we have been together for 8 yrs. and sex can be very safe....provided you use a condom. there really is no secret or major steps involved other than that.
as everyone has said....a water based lube is important, but be sure when buying a condom that they are lubricated (some are not, but they are basically used for oral). What I have found best in my 8 yrs of safe sex experience is Durex. They are the only ones I have had no problems w/ breaking. I have bought many brands over the years thinking maybe the more expensive may be better, but that is not the case. the durex are given away free at my work and I have never had an issue with them breaking. although comfort and fit play a major role in that also, so be sure that it fits him comfortably (course he will know if they are too tight). I have tried the female condoms, but usually have a problem w/ them slipping out of place. and i've never had an issue with it interupting the moment (so to speak),but every once in a while check and be sure its still properly in place. (sometimes you can make it kind of sexy in a way too).
I wish you and your new man all the best. And please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or really....just want to talk. its nice to talk to others who are in the same situations.
take care,
love and prayers,
debbie

Anonymous
Unregistered

#158946 - 08/20/05 11:59 PM

I tested positive in December 04 and was in a relationship for 2 years and my partner tested negative thankfully. I was worried about how the relationship would turn out because we both hated condoms.....but we have no choice now. I did some research and tried out two brands called Beyond Seven and Crown they are truely amazing!! I wish I would have known about these before as I would have used them. I am heterosexual and my boyfriend partner and I had to stop of few times because it felt so real that we thought it might have come off! We use a lubricant called astroglide but there is some other lube that is even better can't remeber the name? don't forget to put some lube on the inside of the condom for him as well!! Good luck in your new realtionship:)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#158964 - 08/22/05 12:55 AM

I do not have AIDS, and this is off the topic of safe sex, but...
I heard of a book called Flood Your Body With Oxygen by Ed McCabe. You can read the reviews of it on Amazon.com. He is supposed to have found a solution for AIDS. If one of you is so inclined, maybe you can try it. If it works for you, maybe you can post it on as many AIDS websites as possible. Good Luck.

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #158982 - 08/22/05 01:30 PM

I'm not sure I know what it is you are talking about.....
that this person has "found a solution" to AIDS??

_tylox99_
Regular

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: MA
      #158992 - 08/22/05 05:28 PM

[quote]I do not have AIDS, and this is off the topic of safe sex, but...
I heard of a book called Flood Your Body With Oxygen by Ed McCabe. You can read the reviews of it on Amazon.com. He is supposed to have found a solution for AIDS. If one of you is so inclined, maybe you can try it. If it works for you, maybe you can post it on as many AIDS websites as possible. Good Luck. [/quote]

This always scares me. A "solution" for HIV/AIDS would make headlines, you woudnt have to find out about it from anectdotes or random postings. Modern science and medications have brought us so far why are so willing to take snake oil? I have not read anything about "oxygen flooding" so I cannot comment on it, it just reeks of pseudoscience

--------------------
Words are, of course, the most potent drug used by mankind.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3648

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3