Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MissouriMammal

Reged: 06/15/05
Loc: SW Missouri
Let's talk about Medicaid
      #157394 - 07/17/05 02:28 AM

I dont know what is going on with other states Medicaid programs, but we're dealing with a health care crisis here in Missouri. I want to share my story with hopes of starting conversation on this topic because I know Missouri isn't the only state in crisis, therefore I am not the only one.

Over 90,000 people here lost their Medicaid benefits effective July 1st. People drawing social security disability will still qualify for Medicaid, however, there is a monthly premium. For a single person, your monthly income is tallied and $677 is subtracted, and that is your monthly premium. In other words, you must live on $677 a month . . . and trust me, my monthly expenses are much higher than that.

Since I qualify for Medicaid, even though I cant afford the premiums, I am not eligible for ADAP. I'm not living in a Title I city, so Ryan White assistance is so severly limited, but will hopefully be of a tiny bit of help.

So I have many options . . . quitting my part time job and finding under the table work . . . getting my meds off of the "streets" and just not filing for Medicaid at all . . . I could move to a state with better a Medicaid program, if there is one. I'd Love to move to a country with a better health care system . . . but then Medicare part D begins in January, and no one knows how much this will cost.

However, I am also in the unfortunate situation of having avascular necrosis in my left hip and can barely walk. I am scheduled to have it replaced in September . . . long after affordable Medicaid is gone. So I am forced to pay the premium for September, and beyond, to have my hip replaced and rehabilitation.

I've survived HIV since 1985, but it will be such a struggle to survive even a year with our new republican governor. I am shocked that the other 90,000 some odd people affected by this governors cuts have done so little to call attention to this crisis. I've written scathing letters (and nice ones too) to my legislatures, senators and even the governor and its like, no one seems to care. They want to push the poor, disabled and elderly out of the state, or kill them by taking away their healthcare, and still, no public outcry. Whats next, euthanasia?

I'm feeling so much anger, frustration, stress and downright shock over this whole situation. I feel exhausted and unable to fight the necessary battles to survive. I've done all of that before and I'm simply not up for it again. Sometimes I feel like throwing in the towel . . . I did well to survive at least 20 years . . . great game, job well done!

But of course I cant . . . I'll have my hip replaced, rehab and get the hell out of here! In the meantime, I'll be writing and calling every elected official telling my story . . . I refuse to give up!

So whats going on where you live and what are you doing about it?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spiritzone2
Grand Master

Reged: 06/24/05
Loc: PORTLAND ROCKS !!
Re: Let's talk about Medicaid new
      #157400 - 07/17/05 04:44 AM

come to the beautiful forests of Portland, Oregon; Mamma, and we'll take care of you. the show-me-state leaves a bit to be desired, eh?

--------------------
OUR FOCUS DETERMINES OUR REALITY.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157420 - 07/18/05 06:50 AM

I live in the CRAP HOLE state of OHIO. I get $767.00 a month disability to live on, despite all that I have payed into it over the years. I also have to pay a "spend down" of over $200.00 in order to be allowed the "right" to live. So, needless to say $567.00 a month income with $400.00 of that going to rent doesn't make much of a happy and easy life. OHIO hates the disabled, old and the poor. Not to mention bush is a FU***** lier about the financial position of medicare/medicaid. It's secure until the year 2045 not counting what is being paid into it as we speak, plus they have a trust fund just for this purpose. He and all the lier's that are trying to run each state into the ground want you to live in fear of it running out of funds so they can rob it blind.

spiritzone2
Grand Master

#157510 - 07/20/05 01:52 AM

Medicaid benefits in the complete united states are in crisis. You can thank the republicans & the war

--------------------

spiritzone2
Grand Master

#157511 - 07/20/05 01:55 AM

dubya BUSH and his idiot republican cronies are responsible for killing people by cutting funds not to mention Iraq.

--------------------

MissouriMammal

#157524 - 07/20/05 01:14 PM

Yes, you guys are absolutely correct about the Bush administration being responsible for the Medicaid crisis. But the question still remains, if it is such a national problem, why is there no public outcry? I expected to see many posts of people venting anger here by now . . . what up out there??
But here's a site that will lift your spirits . . . enjoy!
http://www.sorryeverybody.com/

Monchhichi
Guru

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Florida
      #157527 - 07/20/05 02:55 PM

I think there are many reasons that alot of people who are on the Medicaid program do not speak out via the internet. They do not have the funds to do so. I can testify to that as my means of being here is through my mother's computer. I can't afford this. There are many people I know in my same situation who cannot afford this.

--------------------
Never forget: Life is too precious to take for granted.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157593 - 07/21/05 04:22 PM

Sounds like someone out there is not letting you folks know about Patient Assistance Programs. Drug companies have programs to assist patients that cannot afford the high cost of drugs. Ask you doctor or caseworker. Or get in touch with the drug company that makes your particular meds. AND PLEASE TELL A FRIEND. Best, be safe, have fun, stay healthy, God bless... Retired USAF

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157601 - 07/21/05 09:05 PM

Well, I have great news for you if you want to relocate.

I spoke to a social worker where I live in Fulton county New York and it turns out that other social service organizations give people that are in your situation one way tickets to Fulton/Montgomery county in New York.

Reason being is that they will provide you with a nice place to live and aids meds.

Nice hugh!

Its a great place to be as well. Its like southern hospitallity except in the north.

MissouriMammal

Re: Fulton/Montgomery County NY new
      #157625 - 07/22/05 12:56 PM

WOW. . . thanks for posting that info about Fulton County; I'll have to google it to check it out!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157628 - 07/22/05 01:50 PM

Like another responder to this thread, I live in Ohio, am on medicaid, and am in the very frustrating appeals process of trying to get SSDI. If I don't get approved for SSDI, I will probably lose Medicaid, but I could then access OHDAP (Ryan White Funded drugs, etc). Having moved here from Chicago a little over a year ago, I can compare the two as far as access to services, etc. Chicago seemed to offer alot more service agencies, support services, etc. Ohio has adequate ASOs, etc., but much less openness regarding support groups, acceptance of Poz people, etc. The Medicaid here sounds like it's in better shape than in Missouri but cuurently there is a big threat from state gov't to cut the rolls, cut services covered, etc. Scary times. From what I know, New York state is the best state to be in for dealing with all these HIV issues. Good luck.

JBMonmouth
Unregistered

#157646 - 07/22/05 06:54 PM

I'm truly sorry to read about what you are going through. I live in central New Jersey and not everyone is well versed as to all the assistant that they may qualified for. I urge you to stay positive and let you know that there's a great deal of drug companys that have programs for people in your situation. Talk with your local ASO, case manager, or health provider to find out how to apply. You can also check out this site... www. AIDS.org. If you would like more help I can email you a list of places in your state you can check out.

I applaud you for taking a stand and writing letters. I suggestion to you is to get a petition of people in your area to send your local, state and federal representatives and keep a copy on hand and follow up every other month with them. And a few phone calls to them won't hurt either.

Trust me, after a while they will get the message and give an answer. You are taking a big step by reaching out. Stay strong and keep up the faith.

I urge you keep on reading, writing and talking to as many trust worthy people as you can.

JBMonmouth

Monchhichi
Guru

#157654 - 07/22/05 09:01 PM

You may also want to try the program called PAC Waiver which serves "critically ill" patients. Speak to an Aids counselor about how to get signed up for it. I dont know if they have it where you are but it is available in FL

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157666 - 07/23/05 12:25 PM

Actually, thats not exactly true. Medicaid benefits are not only NOT in crisis but are even expanding in a lot of states. Funny thing, though. If you look at the states where Medicaid and other health programs for the poor are "in the red" you'll notice that those states were also "in the red" last November. The states that voted for Bush are the states that are being hurt by him the most. But at least gay people can't get married.

Monchhichi
Guru

#157670 - 07/23/05 02:49 PM

I agree with almost everything you said in your response "anon" EXCEPT for your last statement. Who are you to judge who loves who, and who should get married or not?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7169

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3