Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
panic05

Reged: 06/19/05
Another question on HIV infection
      #156496 - 06/24/05 04:22 PM

Thank you all for your kind help on my previous question. However, my pregnancy does bring me in such a paranoid state that I always worry about everything might infect my baby. Here's another question that I need you guys' help.

To testify if the blood stain was dried or not, I wiped it with some toilet paper. Of course I didn't wear any gloves at that time. The blood stain seemed to be dried for I couldn't wipe it off with dried toilet paper. Unfortunately, I only washed my hands using cold water (no soap) for several seconds afterwards. Then I felt itchy on my arm due to a pimple, so I scratched it using the same hand with which I just held the paper to wipe the blood stain. Now I began to freak out, because the pimple was broken. Do you think if the virus(if still active in the dried blood) could break through the several layers of toilet paper (unsoiled, dried) and get to my hand? Is there any possibility that hiv can be transmitted by my dirty hand, first trying to wipe off the blood stain with toilet paper, and then scratching the pimple on the arm?

I know my question might sound ignorant. But your answer will relieve me a lot. Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
Re: Another question on HIV infection new
      #156497 - 06/24/05 04:28 PM

You need to not worry so much about "old dried" blood. You and your baby will both be fine. of the fears that you carry, you would have yourself tested unnecessarily all the time. Dried blood is of NO RISK WHATSOEVER!!
please focus on the joy of becoming a mother......as it is so much fun. And don't worry about blood you may come in contact with, that has been sitting on a tiolet, or on your clothes, which is old and dry. I know how it feels to constantly want to keep your baby safe, but from an hiv stand point.....you and your child are going to be fine. !!

Good luck, and love and prayers for you and your baby. (who will not get hiv from the tiolet you've used, or dry blood you have come in contact with).

Debbie

panic05

#156499 - 06/24/05 05:33 PM

Hello Debbie,

You are so warm-hearted and kind. I am very very grateful for all you've said to me. Yes. I should take it easy and calm myself down. I know that's the best for my baby. Sometimes, it's just so hard to avoiding thinking about all the possibilities :-(

But I will try my best to forget all the fears. Before that, could I ask a last question? (see, I still can't help thinking about those questions) What if the blood is still a little wet, but the blood didn't soak through all the layers of the toilet paper I used? Since my hand had no direct contact with the blood, would the unsoaked layers of toilet paper provided a barrier for preventing the virus (if there is any ) come onto my hand? Thanks for your understanding and knowledge. I think this would be my last question on this "stupid" hiv infection topic :-)

debtex
Legend

#156509 - 06/24/05 10:38 PM

Hi Panic.....
.... I must say....you have picked the perfect name for your description. (: I can confirm to you that, even if the blood was wet, as stated by many others, the virus dies shortly after touching the air. (so think about it this way....if I, who is hiv + was to bleed on the floor, and after a few minutes, you wiped it with a paper towel, not only would that not pose any risk to you......there would be no hiv virus remaining on your floor).
Lately I know when you get pregnant, your OBGYN will convince you to have an hiv test..because even if unfortunately you were infected, the life of your child would be spared from contracting the virus. Have you done this?
If you have, and have not put yourself in any sexual or drug sharing exposure, you can rest assure that your child will be born healthy. Could you imagine how many people in the world would be infected with hiv, if it was so easily contractable??
You have 2 wonderful months left to enjoy being pregnant, and then have the utmost pleasure to share your life with your baby. You should go to babies r us, and just have a blast. (once you get me in that store.....man, I can never get out) .lol !!
You (and your baby) are fine. No hiv risk is posed by a public restroom, or dry blood on clothes, or the fact that you "may" have wiped some old blood from somewhere.

Plese relax.....and STOP paniking!! This is a time of great joy for you, please, go out and do that.

with love and prayers to you,
Debbie
---have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns??

spiritzone2
Grand Master

Reged: 06/24/05
Loc: PORTLAND ROCKS !!
      #156512 - 06/24/05 11:30 PM

Don't worry about being paranoid everybody's out to get you. I hope you don't believe that. Gosh, Lady, you're not a hyperChondriac are you? You seem to be worried about everything. SLOW DOWN. take a deep breath. Think happy thoughts. Don't stress about every damn thing. Do you know that STRESS is the absolutely worse thing anybody can do for their bodies HIV positive or NOT. Stress is the very worse thing because that produces chemicals in our bodies that will effect you far worse than any HIV will. Hey I got a question for you: How old are you ? If you are over 30, and you know that HIV takes about 10 years on average to develop, and that's just the begining stages, AIDS from there takes about 10-20 years from there, what does that tell you ? It tells me that you'll probably be dead from the stress in your life before anything HIV related really effects you. Do you like to sing and dance and laugh and play? These things also produce chemicals in our bodies that heal us. Just a thought. . .

--------------------
OUR FOCUS DETERMINES OUR REALITY.

panic05

#156516 - 06/24/05 11:53 PM

This panic might be the side effect of my pregnancy (: Seems I have to deal with it all my pregnancy. Fortunately I met you here, from whom I got a lot of help to calm myself down ^_^

I did take a HIV test for my pregnancy three months ago in my OB's office. It's negative. But I don't think my OB will give me another HIV test in the left days of pregnancy if I do not request for it myself. Anyway, my next doctor visit is 3 weeks later. I will tell my OB about my concern to see if she can give me some help.

Btw, some guys here said that HIV virus will live for up to several hours in bood when exposed to air. I checked CDC's website, it also said that the virus would be killed after several hours once hitting the air. So could you please tell me where you got the idea that it only takes several minutes for the virus to die?

Thank you again for your kind help! God bless you!.

debtex
Legend

#156518 - 06/25/05 12:35 AM

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better about your exposure. You could talk to your ob about the experience you are concerned about. She (or he) will also re-assure you that everything is fine.
And the hiv with the air issue, is something that I have learned a long time ago, and also by the clinic that I work in. I will try to find you a link and show you. give me a few.

keeping in mind....depending on the atmosphere and the "climate" that hiv is living in. (ie: moisture, bacteria, and stuff like that, I'm sure that is what could cause it to live longer)
Like I said, I will find you a link you can physically read to feel better about it.

Glad to hear back from you, and please be well.

And I'm afraid now that you are having a child.....all your worries my dear, are really just beginning!!!!! not just all your pregnancies.....with everything your child has to go thru in life will make you worry......like nothing ever before.

(:
welcome to parenthood. you're going to be a great mom. (:

love and prayers,
deb

panic05

#156522 - 06/25/05 02:38 AM

I don't know how to express my thanks to you, debbie. Your answers are the best medicine to help me chill down. Yes, just as you said, being pregnant is only the beginning of the long road of worries. I feel a lot of responsibilities. In fact, I am not scared of HIV myself, but I do worry about the possibility of transmitting it to my baby. That's the real concern. However, your kind words help me to relieve in some degree. Thank you very much.

panic05

#156523 - 06/25/05 02:48 AM

Thank you very much for your reply, spiritzone2. I really appreciate it.

I know stress is no any good for both my baby and myself. But I just couldn't help it. Actually, I myself am not scared of being infected by HIV. The only concern is my baby. I don't want the baby to get infection from me. Since I'm already in my 7th month pregnancy, I'm not sure if the HIV antibody test will give a conclusive result before my delivery. Anyway, I will try my best to forget these bad things. Life is beautiful :)

debtex
Legend

#156564 - 06/25/05 11:04 PM

I'm sorry you have to be this worried at such a wonderful time in your life. You should really talk to your doctor about your fears, and your concerns of transmission. Hopefully he will help ease your fears as well.

You would have to think of how many people with hiv if it were that transmittable. And if you look at any stats how any baby is born from hiv.......there would be a risk of behavior on one of the parents behalf.
You have put yourself at no risk, your situation is an almost everyday occurance. Please talk to your doctor about your fears, it will make you feel better either way.

I wish you all the best with your baby. Please keep in touch with how you are.

love and prayers to you and that cute baby of yours.
Debbie

spiritzone2
Grand Master

Reged: 06/24/05
Loc: PORTLAND ROCKS !!
      #156774 - 07/03/05 02:04 AM

do you read any of the responses to your questions. Or do you insist on staying with your paranoid fears. Do you live you life with fear or Love. Only you can answer that, but your posts make ME wonder . . .

--------------------
OUR FOCUS DETERMINES OUR REALITY.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3947

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3