Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

RealityPlease do not sugar coat this
      #143835 - 05/06/05 07:07 AM

Hello, I have been HIV positive for two years. My CD4 is 330, viral load is 3K and CD% is 29%. I just took a very stressfull, high management, high paying job in a company with travel. They do not know my status. I am not on meds. How long will this last? Am I getting close to where I could just instantly fall sick? My doctor keeps telling me to wait to take meds. When I take the meds, will I be able to still do this job? I know everyone is different, but I keep reading about people on disability or having a hard time working. What is going to happen? Will I still be able to do this?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Basquo
Unregistered

Re: RealityPlease do not sugar coat this new
      #143836 - 05/06/05 08:52 AM

You need to consider starting meds, but the good news is that with such a low VL you could probably take them for six months or so then reevaluate. What was your baseline t-cell count? 330 is starting to push it, but the most imporatant thing to work on is the stress level. Make sure you make enough time to do stuff for just you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#143839 - 05/06/05 10:48 AM

I've been on meds for 4 years. I have a high stress job and travel. I have had no problems at all. Make sure you have a doc who knows what he is doing. You will do fine!!

ScotCharles
Unregistered

#143848 - 05/06/05 03:50 PM

I have been HIV+ for 20 years and have had a succession of high paying, stressful jobs, which I have both enjoyed and found intellectually rewarding. A few years ago, I developed full blown AIDS and was in the hospital with PCP for nearly a month. Tough guy that I am, I was sick before that for 4 months, and only went into the hospital when I collasped in the bathroom, unable to breathe.

I was unpfront with my boss, but not my employees, about my condition. He is worried about me but allows me to continue to do what I do, which I am very good at and which brings a great deal of return for my company. I have been sick with some mystery ailment recently, and have had a hard time keeping my end up at the company. Yet I force myself to come in each day and I work at a 110% of what I am capable.

Why bother? I think work is what vitiates Man, it gives us prupose. The greates gift is rewarding and challenging work, which I have. I like my job.

Perhaps if I hated it, I wouldn't bother and would try to go out on disability. But that prospect frightens me, idleness frighttens me, not being a part of the working world frightens me.

So...each day I come in, sick or well, and I do the best I can, because only the exceptional efforts are remembered when we're gone.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#143850 - 05/06/05 05:16 PM

Thanks for your reply. When I was first diagnosed, my cd4 was 560, then a year later 460, then six months later 360, and now 330. But viral load keeps getting lower. I am not sure why..... I thought it would go higher with lower cd4. Thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#143851 - 05/06/05 05:16 PM

Thank you! That is so reassuring.....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#152136 - 05/24/05 05:02 AM

Some people hand stress better than others, esp. the "type a" workaholic, energetic, etc. personality who thrives on it. Myself, stress from job caused alot of physical problems. I
am fighting for SSDI, if I ever work it will have to be something low stress. Your counts are low, not in AIDS range but obviously on the way down, and I don't understand why dr hasn't put you on HAART to get your
CD4 count up, you will need extra defense prior to starting that job. A regimen that works for you will hopefully nip
progression of the infection giving you more quality, and quantity of life! Good luck.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #154414 - 05/26/05 04:41 PM

Basquo,

Some people like stress, in fact I think a lot of people do. Look at the growth of extreme sports, gambling, holidays in unknown regions, people clammering to do an MBA at Wharton, people love stress.

I for one love the stress of challenging and rewarding work, I couldn't conceive a life in which I don't do what I do. But I know that a lot of people hate their jobs and feel trapped, and I sympathize with them.

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#159798 - 09/09/05 08:54 PM

A Wellness Revolution starts with Via Viente. www.myviaoffice.com/auroramt25

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2832

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3