Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
5nurse2be
Unregistered

Help me to be a better nurse
      #141052 - 04/29/05 08:39 AM

. Hi. My name is CC and I am a nursing student due to graduate in August. As part of this semester I am to give a presentation on HIV. I would like to
focus on "how to be a better nurse to the HIV patient.". Is there anything you would like to tell a graduating group of nurses? Any of your thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! My project is due 05/02/05 so an immediate response would be much obliged!
Please email me at skibabet@yahoo.com

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Help me to be a better nurse new
      #141106 - 04/29/05 05:12 PM

Here are my suggestions. Treat your HIV patients like you would any other patient...like they are human. Don't be afraid to touch a patient with HIV. Do not treat them like they are "going to die anyway" so there is no use in doing anything for them. HIV is now a chronic disease. Many patients with HIV/AIDS outlive patient who have diabetes or cancer.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#141174 - 04/29/05 10:09 PM

Well said!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#141381 - 05/01/05 06:35 AM

I know for myself, I would just to be treated as any other patient: with respect. Not necessarily pity, except if in severe pain, etc. like a patient with severe injury, terminal cancer (RIP Gramma) would want also :). Or getting the ER Trojan Horse IV's put in, OUCH! Then baby me! Please! If I remember my last hospital visit, the patient bill of rights mentioned dignity, respect. (Which is what I in turn believe the medical field deserves!). I expect the medical profession to not judge me, but use their standard precautions. If a staff member wants to talk about my HIV, I'm open. I think if you want to ask questions, ask if they mind. I wondered if my doctor had a problem with me PERSONALLY due to HIV, until she brought it up, she worked in an HIV clinic in fact! I think on a personal level it takes her a little longer to warm up to new patients, now but she actually errors on the side of caution and will even try to fit me in if she's really concerned instead of on call dr, with me which I appreciate. Good luck, nursing is a tough profession, but obviously very rewarding.
Thank you for asking.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1665

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3