Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Testosterone
      #139384 - 03/30/05 12:53 AM

Has anyone with wasting on here been given testosterone? when do they start it, what are the requirements in terms of counts and viral loads, or does it make a difference. is there some reason why a doc won't give it fairly early on in a treatment regimen? With advanced stage AIDS?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Testosterone new
      #139388 - 03/30/05 01:55 AM

First, a physician should require that a testosterone test be performed. This measures the body's natural level. If it is sufficient or normal, then there is nothing to be gained by supplementation (shots or creams), and many problems that can be caused by high levels.

It is not a blanket cure for anything or anyone, as it is a hormone, and even more important than adding more, is that the body is in balance between all of the different hormones that make it work.

Read some of the questions/answers on the Body's information list in reference to this issue and others. You can make your own inquiry of the physicians at the Body, but I know there have been many inquiries regarding testosterone already posted. There are also links/sources of information regarding testosterone, what it does, side effects, etc. available here on the Body.

Go to the Body Home page and search from there. I think you will find the answers you need on this question, as well as others.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#139491 - 03/31/05 07:13 PM

I have no wasting, undetectable viral load, t-cells in the 600's and approached my Dr. about testosterone shots. I had read that the goal is to improve lean muscle mass in case there was a "rough patch" in my health and that would require pushing my levels up to the high end of normal. Now I have a great body, fair amounts of energy, and much improved sex drive. Also, a friend of mine was wasting away and his Dr. was ignoring it. I insisted he confront his Dr., which he did, and the Dr. finally started him on a "power cycle". He is doing much better right now. Some Drs. just aren't knowledgeable and you have to take charge of your health care.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#139622 - 04/04/05 02:23 AM

I have been taking testosterone shots for a while ago---and i also suffer from insomnia. The drugs I am taking for HIV can exacerbate the insomnia. I also did some research on the internet and discovered that testosterone can lead to a condition called OSA or obstructive sleep apnea. This is when the soft tissues in your throat and your tongue fall back during sleep and obsruct your airway and can cause apnea (stopping of breathing for short periods of time). This can be life threatening over time if not diagnosed properly. The "stero-type" of someone with OSA is someone who is over weight and has a short fat neck. I am slim and have a rather long neck. The theory is that the testosterone causes the tongue to enlarge that can cause an obstuction when you sleep. My doctor repeatedly denied that I needed to have a sleep study performed. Basically they wire you up with lots of monitors and you spend the night in a sleep lab. My doctor prescribed sleeping pills and relaxants which only exacerbated my poor sleeping.
I had the test done and it PROVED that I have OSA. So now I have to go back and get fitted for this mask called a CPAP mask (continuous positive airway pressure mask). This is held in place by some straps and takes a few nights to get used to. BUT I am SLEEPING GREAT and wake up feeling WONDERFUL!!!!!! And i am off all the sleeping pills. So,push your doctor for a referral and get the test done!!! You deserve a good nights sleep. Do not take no for an answer. It is your body!!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2689

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3