Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
healthyPOZbttm

Reged: 02/11/05
Loc: Dallas, TX
BEGINNING WORKOUT - QUESTIONS
      #134371 - 02/11/05 05:23 PM

8 years POZ now, super healthy and still on my first meds Combivir and Viramune. I've recently lost a lot of weight and drastically changed diet habits. I was a horrible couch potato and munched on chips and pints of Hagen Daaz all the time.

Now that I have lost all this weight and have finally brought my cholesterol level under 200, I wanted to start a workout routine. So I've been getting up earlier in the morning and going to workout before work. I hear this is the best time to workout. I usually have a yogurt smoothie and some fruit and/or a granola bar before a workout.

While I workout, I have been noticing my muscles shake uncontrollably, especially doing arm curls when I work my biceps, and when I do leg presses or the butterfly machine to work my legs and thighs. I also get very nauseous halfway early on in my workout, usually forcing me to quit early.

I'm not loading on weight, I'm starting off very light to get my feet wet and my body tuned up. But does anyone know about this or had it happen to them too? Is this just normal for someone who has stayed sedetary for so long? Will this go away as my body adjusts to being worked out after spending so much time on a couch?

Am I eating too much, too little, not the right stuff before I work out?

All help would be greatly appreciated. I'm an extremely self-concious person and very shy, so asking someone at the gym is out of the question, I don't want to look like an idiot. Plus, I think it's a guy thing to hate admitting a weakness, so I want to look like I know what I'm doing at the gym.

So please help this shy guy make an impact and provide any and all feedback you have. Thank you everyone!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: BEGINNING WORKOUT - QUESTIONS new
      #134390 - 02/12/05 06:13 AM

Good for you! My hiv neg b/f wants to get healthier, his back actuallyhurts now from weight gain! I know when I haven't worked out in awhile, I can get lightheaded, shaky, weak, etc. maybe check with your doctor, maybe too much too soon? It's so easy to jump right back in doing too much weight at once, too many reps, I've done that. Good luck, keep up the good work!

RIVERLADY
All Star

Reged: 02/03/05
      #134392 - 02/12/05 08:17 AM

The same would happen to me when I was working out . You need to ease up a bit on your body. Try talking to one of the trainers just don't over do it .

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134433 - 02/13/05 06:18 PM

I'm new to all of this, but not new to working out, you may want to try to eat more substantially ,say about a half hour before your workout. I have to have a full meal before working out (protein and complex carbohydrates primarily) and then proetien (a couple of hardboiled eggs, whites only) afterwards.

Jessie
Guardian

Reged: 06/15/04
      #134452 - 02/14/05 09:19 AM

Hey, good for you...It is hard to lose weight and change all you bad habits and be on meds and deal with your virus BUT you have succeeded and thats just GREAT!!!!!!!

As far as exercise goes, I think that the best way to start is alwways stretching for at least 10-15 minutes and then begin slowly....your joints and muscles are going to hurt when you first begin any type of exercise program...it may be good for you to discuss with your doctor what type of exercise program would be the best for you to begin at...

CHEERS to you and all your HARD work and efforts to stay healthy..... =) Best of luck and keep on doing the healthy things for you...God Bless...~Jessie~

HIV+ since 2-3-04
"While there is breath, there is hope".

deadbeckett

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Florida
      #134687 - 02/19/05 04:27 PM

Actually the mornings are not the best time to work out. Try it after work for a change; with a full belly and a power breakfast and lunch in ur system. See how your workouts improve then and, besides, it's a great stress reducer from your ( ur --my little idiom) JOB. Also take some whey protein and glutamine after ur workout...this potion will work up to 2 hours after a workout.

deadbeckett

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Florida
      #134688 - 02/19/05 04:33 PM

and don't give me the shy routine dallas...if you want to know how u should be using the machines ASK SOMEBODY or u'll hurt urself. Don't be intimitated...ask someone who runs the gym or the guy grunting next to you: it's often the best advice to look up someone who's pumped up already and say, "Am I doing this routine correctly?" They'll help you, believe me.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2706

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3