Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Multivitamin for HIV pozzzes...
      #134337 - 02/11/05 02:44 AM

I read in an HIV magazine in a study of persons with HIV that those on a mega multivitamin regime had a much higher % had greater longevity and better health than those not taking
them (they did have CD4 counts under 200, so for those like myself who have higher counts benefits may be less, or more?). Well, I purchased one that was recommended, Supernutrition Superblend. OMG!!! Now I know why they were on clearance. 6 HUGE, I mean bigger than Norvir, bigger than Kaletra..horrible flavor, rough texture. I can NOT swallow with water, etc. must use milk or thicker. And I can/could swallow ALL my hiv meds at once, I don't have a problem taking large meds. But CRAP! And 6? In addition to
HIV meds, meds for insomnia, depression, allergies, etc. etc.
Any suggestions on a good multivitamin, with esp. higher amounts of C, E, zinc....I may go back to creating my own packet!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RIVERLADY
All Star

Reged: 02/03/05
Re: Multivitamin for HIV pozzzes... new
      #134368 - 02/11/05 04:51 PM

go into your search engine and type in hiv/aids vitamins and see what happens. I know there is a sight in delphi website as well as many extremly informed folks

healthyPOZbttm

Reged: 02/11/05
Loc: Dallas, TX
      #134372 - 02/11/05 05:44 PM

I've talked to my Doctor about this because I've read many articles in POZ magazine that HIV positive people should have 2 times as many multi-vitamins as a normal person. He told me we as a POZ community get too worked up over what we read and over-concerned. 1 multi-vitamin is JUST FINE for a POZ person. I also hate swallowing a large multivitamin, so I use a great LIQUID alternative that I got at Whole Foods here in Dallas. If you don't have one in your town, many nutritional stores carry liquid multivitamins. I get Source of Life brand and it tastes great, I'm not kidding, just like orange juice.

Another GREAT thing that I love is the Odwalla juice drinks. I get them in the produce section of my local Kroger, Albertson's and Tom Thumb. My favorite is the Superfood drink because just one serving of this superfood has all 5 of your daily required fruits and vegetable in one drink. Plus, even though the drink looks nasty because it is green, it tastes like apple/banana juice, so get past the color and it is delicious.

Those big vitamins are a waste of time and money, and end up costing too much. My doctor, one of the top HIV doctor's in Dallas said a simple Centrum a day is just fine, and he loves that I am taking the liquid version too.

Just talk to your doctor, the first few years I was POZ I read every article I could and got myself worked up over so many little things because if POZ wrote about it, it had to be true for me. But everyone is different, and just because I have HIV, doesn't mean my body has to have a double dose of vitamins. But it does mean it is more important than ever to make sure to take at least 1 good vitamin a day. Trust me, the Centrum is just fine. I used to take Centrum Performance that has the extra B vitamins too. Do what works for you, but don't make yourself sicker with mental stress over all the information that is out there on the web and in magazines. Heck, I'm healthier than most HIV-negative people I know just because I eat better, take 1 daily vitamin, and fit in 15 to 30 minutes of excercise every day.

:-) Take care and have a happy long life...we all will!

poztrainer

Reged: 01/13/05
      #134382 - 02/11/05 08:50 PM

I really hadn't given alot of thought to my multi in regards to my being positive. My weight training being one of my passions I simply have used the best that I could find. Beverly International produces some of the finest quality supplements available anywhere. As a general multi-vite, their Ultra 4 might fit the bill for you. Personally, I use their Super Pak. They have a package for women called Ms Power Pak. Check out www.beverlyinternational.com or do some research on your own on them. I would not recommend buying directlty through their site though, as their suggested prices are on the steeper side than many might want to pay. I would suggest taking a look at their line at http://www.dpsnutrition.net/
DPS has the best prices available anywhere, and you can get a better look at the RDA percentages on their site. I'm not trying to plug any one company here. I simply buy alot of different supplements due to my training/nutritional requirements, and the two companys I mention above are just the best I have come across. I hope that these might help you to fill your reqirements as well.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134389 - 02/12/05 06:06 AM

I love Odwalla juices....maybe I will try a good multi-vitamin and adding more juices and greens.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134424 - 02/13/05 10:29 AM

Expensive but VERY high quality. Check it out: http://www.jonkaiser.com/vitamins/

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134438 - 02/13/05 07:35 PM

Try jonkaiser.org K-pac..best multivit on market for HIV people. I started on it a couple of weeks ago..expensive but backed by lots of research..check it out..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#159807 - 09/09/05 09:25 PM

LIQUID VITAMINS AND MINERALS HERE:
www.myviaoffice.com/auroarmt25

Read at the website for more info.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#165668 - 11/29/05 06:22 PM

my friend takes a great multivitamin from orthica called multi max. we live in germany and it is available from the netherlands. the pills are pretty big, but i dont know how they size up to superblend. you only have to take it once a day. check out the following link:
http://www.gezondheidaanhuis.nl/product.asp?productid=2002
i know they ship all over europe, but i'm not sure if they ship to the states. if you're interested send them an email in english

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5469

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3