Anonymous
Unregistered

AIDS Cases Decline In SF Bay Area 
      #134039 - 02/05/05 02:34 AM

AIDS Cases Decline In SF Bay Area 
by The Associated Press 
EXTRACT

Posted: February 2, 2005  5:02 pm. ET

(San Francisco, California) The number of new AIDS cases in the Bay Area has plummeted to levels not seen since the early 1980s.

A preliminary look at 2004 data shows that 245 cases were diagnosed in San Francisco last year. That's a little more than one-tenth the peak of 2,327 cases in 1992.

The trend matches that seen in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties, where the virus arrived slightly later.

Final tallies won't be known until this summer, because there is a lag between when cases are diagnosed and reported to public health authorities.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: AIDS Cases Decline In SF Bay Area  new
      #134060 - 02/05/05 07:45 PM

Could it be that less people are getting an AIDS diagnosis because the meds are working?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134102 - 02/07/05 02:35 AM

Silly question but for that to be the case would't people have to be taking medications BEFORE being diagonised?

shadow1
Legend

#134153 - 02/07/05 11:59 PM

Many are being treated with HIV medications before they have an AIDS diagnosing illness, or before they get an AIDS diagnosis now. Maybe you do not understand that a person is HIV+ for a long time before they have an AIDS related illness or there T-cells drop below the 200 mark giving them an AIDS diagnosis and the medications pull there cell count up to a point where they are no longer an AIDS patient and back to HIV+ patient.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134155 - 02/08/05 03:34 AM

Actually that is a very small percentage and would not account for the drop in those testing positive.

I still cannot see how the drop can be attributed to the medications. Sounds back to front to me.

shadow1
Legend

#134166 - 02/08/05 09:58 AM

May I inquire what you are talking about; do you actually know anything about HIV & AIDS?
A person tests positive for HIV not AIDS, when a person is HIV+ and has a T-cell count below 200 and or has an AIDS related illness after being diagnosed HIV+ then is a person considered an AIDS patient.
You are posting information and think that a person who is HIV+ has AIDS? That is not right, a person has many years being HIV+ before they even come close. With the diagnostic abilities we have now we can manage a person for many many years without them dropping to the point of having a related illness. There are many people who were AIDS patients, and with the new medications are no longer are considered that. Me and many others have had there T-Cells in the double digit range and are now back to strong healthy working members of the community with the numbers back up to a point we are considered HIV+ and have no detectable viral load.
Do keep studying and learning about this disease, but go back to the basics and learn the differences.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134195 - 02/08/05 05:45 PM

Dear G-Man,

You really are an arrogant S.O.B. You failed to answer my question and just give information that had no relavence to it. I dare say I know more than you on the subject of AIDS and don't need you to lecture me on the basics.

Until you can actually answer a fair question why don't you refrain from giving your opinion, for once.

shadow1
Legend

#134209 - 02/08/05 09:56 PM

I was very strait forward in answering your question. Do you think just because a person tests HIV+ means the person has AIDS? If you do you are sadly mistaken, AIDS related deaths have declined because we are able to treat HIV/AIDS much better than we were able to even four years ago, the medications and the knowledge of treatments are much better now bringing the decrease of AIDS related deaths.
I hope that helps, but if you still think because someone is HIV+ he has AIDS you do not know anything about this disease and if you read back at your posts you make it sound that way with your wording. Maybe it would help if you put it in a more readable context, wording things in a way that is correct in the progression of HIV/AIDS. I am not being an s.o.b. I am just stating fact to the way you have worded your responses.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134215 - 02/09/05 04:00 AM

I apologies for calling you a S.O.B. but your post seemed condescending. I am aware of the difference between a positive test result and full blown AIDS but still don't think the new meds can be considered the reason for the decline.

Even of the people with AIDS (not HIV+ status) only about half take medications and the number with just a positive result are a small fraction of this.

AIDS had already started to decline even before the new PI's were introduced suggesting that either an immunity has started to develop or that changes in some behavior have had an impact.

Most other epidemics in history have burnt themselves out (if not all) and I see no reason that AIDS will be an exception to that rule. I notice how angry people get if you suggest the AIDS epidemic, in America at least, is declining fast. Why does anyone want to not hear good news or wish that this syndrome continues?

It is almost as if we have come to view AIDS as a close friend not a plague.

Weird.

shadow1
Legend

#134221 - 02/09/05 09:25 AM

Thank you,
In my experiences with aids patients and people with aids with all the knowlege of free programs and low cost/no cost medication programs the decline started in the late 90's when more people had access to better medical services ands medications. Many people who had no way to get medical attention and no medications were now getting services via agencies like the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, GMHC-SF, Aid for AIDS, etc. You will see the same decline in the larger cities in the USA. Also a larger amount of visibility from fund raisers like the AIDS rides, AIDS Vaccine rides, AIDS walks helped bring more free and low cost HIV/AIDS services to the limelight where the services were better known about by everyone. Personally i have raised over 14 million dollars to help pay for services since 1994 when we produced the first aids ride.
Just a little side note, Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center gives our $2,000,000 in medications alone for free a month.
The HIV/AIDS communities are getting much smarter about this disease and also the pharmaceutical companies are coming up with much better medications with less side effects.
I know may people who medications had failed and they were on there deathbeds, then a company came out with a new medication which helped and they were up and around again. I have known many that all the new medications and injectable treatments have brought back to health and there HIV numbers have come back. Many that had single digit t-cells are over 500 now with no viral load.
I myself had 5 t-cells per copy before I started medications because I was part of a test program, I started medications in Jan. 2004 and now I personally am back up to almost 400 T-cells and an undetectable viral load.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134236 - 02/09/05 07:19 PM

I beg to differ. I spent a considerable amount of time researching this issue of the decline (having got into a debate on the matter). I found, much to my disappointment, (it contradicted my then position) that the decline did infact take place starting in 1992. Changes in the CDC definition clouded the issue as did poor reporting of new drug introduction dates.

I have now come to the conclusion that the decline was not mainly due to medications but other factors that remain an inigma.

An increase in immunity is a very real possibility but that needs research to confirm.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134260 - 02/10/05 01:55 AM

Sorry about typo: enigma not inigma.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3144

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3