Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fighting Social Security!
      #133433 - 01/24/05 09:58 AM

Poz since 1990. No aids related illnesses,have genital herpes also which flare up if I'm under extreme stress. but I have severe insomnia, also have nasal allergies (can NOT work in a dusty office like I did for years!) which can cause chronic sinus problems. Also diagnosed approx 18 years ago with depression, and recently anxiety. SS has denied me twice. My doctors are looking at my "numbers", the fact that they are "good" (altho viral load has gone up quite a bit twice). SSI looks at their info plus that I'm on all these meds for my other problems, like they totally cure everything! I am on 3 (1 is a combo so actually 4) new drugs, they sometimes cause stomach pain, nausea, even vomiting. Last PI's caused cholestrol to soar, it is now in unhealthy range. I literally can not work!!!!! I also have fatigue, sometimes I sleep for 2 days straight. I get the flu alot, and coldsm (especially when in public very often). I had a peri=rectal abcess last summer requiring surgery and 2 wks vancomycin iv which they had to stop I developed sever allergic reaction. I now have 2 more skin abcesses on side which are extremely painful, going to dr tomorrow. I lasted 15 years on my job, until I had to cut to job share. Even then I was sick so much I eventually was told I needed to quit, and apply for disability. (I do have a letter from one doctor indicating my need to go into LWOP sometimes or miss extra work). It was a great but STRESSFUL job which was killing me! I dont know what to do. Will I be denied forever if dr's can't say I am disabled?
I do have people that will sign statements, etc. as to what they see on a day to day basis with me. Right now living on my retirement, but when that's gone I will have NOTHING, and will end up literally dead. Any ideas? Rec's? Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Fighting Social Security! new
      #133473 - 01/24/05 06:29 PM

I filed years ago and didn't have any problems. My Dr. recommended I keep a daily health journal for a few months before I filed. I wrote down everyday what was happening with me physically. The lady at social security was very pleased with the journal and the claim went right through.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133484 - 01/24/05 10:05 PM

u new a good social security lawyer
or a wheelchair when u go

Anonymous
Unregistered

#139647 - 04/04/05 06:32 PM

i had the same problem i was rejected too i hired binder and binder and they got me my ss on the first try good luck

RobbyD

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
      #140509 - 04/24/05 07:28 PM

I've applied for SS as well, been turned down once, and then awaiting for their word on the reconsideration (second request). It's been more then their 120 day rule and as of last notice they want me to go to their cardiologist for a stress test and echocardiogram (mind you which i Just had in Jan). I immediately hired an Attorney the very first time I was denied and furthermore hired once who has been specfically dealing with HIV+ cases for 15+ years.

I will say I think it's time for you to get an attorney.

This is what I was told by my attorney (as he was as realistic with me as he could).

SS turns down about 92% of cases on the first time application
they also turn down about 85% of cases on the reconsideration
however upon appeal (your 3rd Time) they usually approve 8/9 out of 10 cases.

The hard part is that it takes anyplace between 22 - 24 months get get from the initial claim to the appeal in front of the judge which is a long time to live
without any INCOME.

I would advise you to get an attorney, another little secret I've discovered (which some say helps, others have claimed it doesn't) I know my attorney advised me that he had cases that were pending a court date which were all the sudden approved after THIS NEXT LITTLE SECRET was done.

Here it is..

Contact your local CONGRESSMAN or WOMEN, and ask them to write a letter to the disability board on your behalf asking the disability board to flag your case as having an CONGRESSIONAL INTEREST. (I've heard this helps to speed up the process).

I recently have done that because i'm at the second level and now the state disability board is really starting to screw around with me, they first delayed my decision (they say it takes 120 days).. Well my reconsideration was filed Oct 5, so I had been expecting an answer approximately Feb 5, when that date rolled around they claimed the state agency didn't get the claim until Nov 22, from Oct 5 to Nov 22 (that's almost 2 months). and nobody could explain why it took that long. Now Nov 22 - (means I should have had an answer about March 22) my last correspondance from the agency was that I'd have to see their Cardiologist on May 4, (which gives me hope they are working on the claim) but as I've stated I already see a cardiologist, the test that SSA wants me to have were just performed at a HOSPITAL and I personally faxed SSA the results. So it's just a statlling tactic which they are very good about.

1. Get yourself an attorney
2. Write your congressperson
3. Just be patient (it will happen if you are persistent enough).

Rob

--------------------
Check out my site!!!
http://postransitions.tripod.com

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1578

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3