Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just Turned Poz.
      #100858 - 07/07/04 12:45 AM

I just found out I was POZ.

I am 23 yo and have no Health insurance. I plan to live heatily and not worry about MEDS until I am more settles in life. I think I can go at least 3 yrs without having to worry about MEDS.

Can someone give me any advice???

How long did it take for anyone out there toi start MEDS????

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Just Turned Poz. new
      #100935 - 07/08/04 02:57 AM

Hi there. I don't think anyone can tell you for sure how long it will be before you can start meds. Different people progress at different rates, depending on your general health and wellness. I would suggest that you contact an HIV physician but in the mean time it would help to eat healthy and stay away from alcohol. Maintain a positive attitude and you will go far!

rexd1976

Reged: 10/16/03
Loc: Florida
      #100951 - 07/08/04 12:03 PM

Hey! I am 28 and found out I was HIV positive about a year and a half ago. My viral load has been between 4,000 and 16,000, CD4 has been between 540 and 780. I am not currently on any medications. But enough about me. To answer your question... there is NO defined time or way to predictable how much time you will have before nedding medications. EVERYONE responds differently to HIV. What are your CD4 and Viral load levels. Do you have a case manager? A doctor? How long do you believe you've been infected? Do you eat healthy? Are you physically active? Do you have a good attitude? Do you take illicit drugs? Do you get enough sleep? Do you know yourself spiritually? These are all factors that can influence your health... regardless of your HIV status. There is funding for you... find your county's health department. You can be assigned a case manager to assist you with ANYTHING you need. If you have a less than adequate resource in your county.... consider moving to another county. The final point is that you do not have a way of predicting WHAT will happen or how things are going to go... so don't waste your life by spending all of your time getting ready to die or by not bettering yourself because you think you may not live long enough to enjoy it. Instead use your time to BETTER your mind, body, and spirit so that when/if anything does happen... you wil be satisfied with the decisions you have made. -Rex

Preston

Reged: 07/08/04
Loc: Germany
      #100957 - 07/08/04 02:42 PM

Dear Just Turned Poz,

It's different for everyone. It was 20 years before I needed to start a HAART regime, but don't let that give you a false sense of security; some people need to go on medications immediately. It depends on 3 factors:
1) If your T-cell count is under 200 (normal is between 400 & 800)
2) If the virus concentration in your blood is over 50,000 units
3) How you generally feel (are your constantly tired even though you get enough sleep, do you have bouts of diarrhea, do you sweat at night, etc.)

Most doctors will not put you on a HAART regime if 1 & 2 are still OK (and you should seriously consider not taking medications if 1 & 2 are still OK). That said, you could feel fine, but have a low T-cell count and a high concentration of the virus in your blood. That is basically a time bomb, waiting to go off.

You need to get your blood checked at least 4 times a year. Contact an AIDS organization in your city, town or community to find out where you can get this done free. The AIDS communities are there for you so you don't have to go through this alone, or possibly damage your health just because you don't have medical insurance.

No matter how you test, you might want to start taking care of your immune system. Here are homeopathic remedies that have proven themselves worldwide for strengthening the immune system:
1) Aloe Vera Juice (at least 96% pure): 2 tblsp., 2x a-day on an empty stomach - refrigerate after opening the bottle
2) Selenium 200 mg.: one tablet a day
3) Vitamin E 400 mg.: one a day
4) Vitamin B2 50 mg.: one a day (the Vitamins E and B2 support the selenium, which is one of the most important minerals our bodies need for a healthy immune system).

Other things to consider:
- cut down on alcohol (stick to wine and beer and stay away from the hard stuff), or cut it out if possible
- stop smoking if you do
- start a 5-element diet (there are books on this that you can find in the internet), but at least cut down on meat and dairy products. Get your protein from soy products (like tofu and misu), bean products like lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, etc. The less you tax your body with junk, the more it can work on keeping that HIV virus under control.

The most important thing is, find out from your local AIDS organization how you can get free testing. You MUST keep a control over your T-cell count and the concentration of the virus in the blood on a REGULAR basis.

I hope this helps. You’re welcome to write me if you wish at:
tim.halkin@t-online.de

--------------------
HIV+ since 20 years

Anonymous
Unregistered

#101273 - 07/12/04 01:27 PM

Hello. I'm Joe. I tested poz two years ago. When I found out my labs were okay. However, I was in such denial and also partying too much. I was feeling sorry for myself. I was drinking alot every weekend. About six months ago I was constantly sick with a cold that would'nt go away. My labs came back and they were not good. My doctor started me on Epivir, Viread, and Sustiva. I also decided to stop drinking all together. I realized I had a drinking problem so it was best to quit. I began to eat healthier, and exercising.
Today my labs are way better. My viral load is undecectable. My t-cells are on the rise as well. I have not been sick in months. The meds are working wonders, but it's also my lifestyle change. These lifestyle changes change your way of thinking, and you just feel better all together. Today my life is totally different. I hope this continues. So many people give up, don't be one of those. Good luck to you!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#101282 - 07/12/04 03:17 PM

I am 31 and I am a two year survivor. My viral load is over 100,000 but my CD4 count is almost 650. I am not on meds. Exercise and maintain a healthy diet. However, you need to have your labs reviewed quarterly. Ryan White and other state programs will cover you. I went from being unemployed and without insurance to finishing a Bachelor and Master's Degree, gaining employment and health insurance with no preexisting condition clause. Anything is possible!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2373

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3