Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Something good that come from my being HIV poz
      #100624 - 07/01/04 06:19 AM

Being HIV+ sucks. I am lucky, 14 year survivor. It's interesting that even though everyone I know knows I contracted it through unprotected sex, they STILL are either
very sexually active and not using protection, or "average" sexual activity with occasional protection, etc.. These are intelligent, educated adults. I know they think like I might have
(I was infected not knowing this person was HIV+)
that "I won't get it, it won't happen to me". Or, statistically,
since I have it, their odds go down...I'm the one in my
"group" (including now ex coworkers, friends, family)
so because they don't use IV drugs, the men aren't gay,
(2 women are bisexual) etc. that the odds are less also. But
infection rate is increasing in every "category", no one is safe!
As the unprotected sex continues, odds are AGAINST them.
However, my 2 adult sons actually either abstained from having sex (luckily we have very honest, candid relationships, I encouraged that...and luckily ex and their stepmother...there was no fear of punishment, etc. on my end if they became sexually active, I did say I felt the longer they could wait the better, many teens are not ready for sex or the potential consequences. I encouraged birth control if they did become active). If I had used condoms I most likely wouldn't have gotten the virus. My oldest son waited until he was 19, is in a monogamous relationship and volunteered that yes, they use condoms! I didn't ask). My youngest is 19,
and although he is a walking hormonal timebomb, he has only
"french kissed" (I got to hear the details there, a little embarrassing as a mom) and drooled over several girls....but is still a virgin. He releases alot of energy (I'm sure sexual included) exercising, weights, etc. which helps. No doubt my HIV status scared them. So, hopefully they will not contract the virus because they are doing what I didn't. And I'm hoping if they have the opportunity to talk to a friend about their mom, they will encourage what I did, so they won't have to learn the hard way like I did.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Broken_Angel1
Guru

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Arizona
Re: Something good that come from my being HIV poz new
      #100826 - 07/06/04 01:40 AM

I agree, being HIV/AIDS does suck. 11 years since diagnosis. I don't think this would have been an illness of choice to anyone. Yet, like anyone with a possibly terminal illness...it can help you find things out about yourself and others. Here is my good that come froms HIV:

It can help us see things in a more positive way. To take advantage of each and every moment, and appreciate it. To change our priorities back to what REALLY matters. To inform and educate others that ANYONE can get it, and that is OK...but use caution to avoid contracting it. Because people aren't being as safe as they need to be. We need to educate because it seems like the media has given up.

Hopefully, each day will make a difference.

--------------------
"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted." AESOP

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1257

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3