Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Jessie
Guardian

Reged: 06/15/04
NEW TO HIV AND SCARED
      #100476 - 06/28/04 12:09 PM

I am 34 yrs old and was dx in feb or this year. I contracted HIV from my husband who did not know that he was +. I did not dind out that anything was wrong until after we were married this year...I had been very sick for 3 months-from oct-jaan of 2004. I have been to my doctor 3 times now and so far no meds...I am awaiting the day that he tells me I will have to go on a med"cocktail". My husband already takes a combo of sustiva and combivir and his viral load is now undetectable. My cd4 holds now at 709 and vl is going down...started at 55,000 and now is 18,000. I am angry and scared, depressed and withdrawn over this. Cant seem to get it together no matter how hard I try...Was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advise that may make this alittle easier for me while my body is still converting to this disease. The doctor says that I have not yet reached my "set point". I am confused ans so sad. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jessie

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: NEW TO HIV AND SCARED new
      #100482 - 06/28/04 01:01 PM

Welcome Jessie!

It's so great that you have reached out.

We've all been there. Give yourself time. It really really will help to be in a support group. There are groups in NYC in Friends in Deed, they are general groups for people with HIV or cancer and you don't have to reveal what you have. But they are free and helpful. Or in Long Island you can join LIACC http://www.liaac.org/consumers.html#supportgrps and they have groups too or just case management if you need help with anything.

Make sure to see the MOST experienced doctor you can. YOU DO NOT have to begin treatment till you really need it! (which means till your CD4 count falls below 300)

READ as much as you can about treatment here and you'll learn. Don't worry if you feel sad for awhile. You are facing a life threatening disease but you will survive! you just have to learn the basics. And REACH OUT! You really really will feel better if you talk to others like you. Even leave your email address here (or make up a new one!) there are many people who want to help. Just don't isolate yourself. remember there are more than 40 MILLION people living with HIV around the world. With one million in the USA. So you may feel alone, but you're NOT!

READ throught this stuff:
http://www.thebody.com/treat/basics.html
http://www.thebody.com/learning.html
http://www.thebody.com/hivmed/contents.html
http://www.thebody.com/features/women/

And take it slow. You have a lot to learn. A lot to get used to.You don't have to tell anyone. You don't have to do anything. Just take care of yourself and learn about this disease.

Jessie
Guardian

Reged: 06/15/04
      #100485 - 06/28/04 01:49 PM

Thankyou for reaching out to me....I will take your advise and research more and give myself time....Your advise was GREAT Jessie

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100628 - 07/01/04 07:08 AM

I don't plan to give you false hope, only real hope. I have been HIV+ for 14 years! Yes...angry, scared, depressed. Still am sometimes. And this was BEFORE inhibitors, I pretty much
was guaranteed death in a 2, or if lucky, 5 years. (I watched fiance die of AIDS, oh yes I was scared!). I lucked out, the pi's came out just in time for me. I have been on them over 7 years! Minimal side effects, awesome results. Only recently labs show they're not as effective, so will try new treatment.
So you have SO much more....they have drugs that attack the virus at different stages of replication. Working on a vaccine for the infected person that stops the HIV from progressing!
Research is more than I ever have seen. More drugs available than ever. So, advice? See doctor like you have been, it's now proven to be better to strike the virus early, so
he may prescribe earlier than you would like. But consider it
a new weapon! Get all the support you can...family, friends,
religious/spiritual help if right for you, mental health professionals for depression... any HIV support there is...
this site is great. And get information! It is so powerful. I read as much as possible about HIV/AIDS. Meditate, write a journal, heck, I may write that book, seriously! And watch out for stress...my job about killed me. Stress and HIV don't work well together. I take vitamins and swear they help. Taking care of yourself as much as you can, but have fun! If you want to have a drink and dance, my doctor even agreed to that one! Live it up when you can. Good luck to you and your husband....hope this site can help. You honestly have a chance of living a very, very long time.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2064

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3