Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
matt
Unregistered

new diagnosis
      #100108 - 06/18/04 10:07 AM

30 yo. just diagnosed. theres no feeling like it. like being winded. was result of recklessness and faith in a dodgy guy. feel like ive lost so much: had promising career that ive worked hard to get to a point where its paying off and now feel .. fucked.

what do guys do? do you reschedule your 50year plans into 10. keep doing what you were? go bush or what?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Veteran

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: new diagnosis new
      #100109 - 06/18/04 10:21 AM

You keep going on with your plans. This in not and immediate or uncontrollable thing, you just have to make a couple minor changes. Otherwise you just go on with your life normally and live. I am still healthy strong and able and will be for many years to come. Just take good care of yourself physically and mentally and you will do just fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100113 - 06/18/04 01:00 PM

Keep doing what you were doing--if you love it and add more time in for other stuff you love--like travel and pleasure. A reorientation--from work work to live live (but still working!)

joe1234
Unregistered

#100143 - 06/19/04 04:07 PM

Hi there buddy. I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago, with massive viral load and cd4 count of 7. (even considered giving my 7 cells names) I thought briefly that life wasn't worth living, but it is!. I started on meds straight away, am now undectable on viral load and cd4's heading in the right direction too. I am starting to plan my retirement party for 2034 and whilst the initial diagnosis was a huge shock, I have found great support here. When my Dr told me the test results, he said that he had some good news and some bad. The bad news was that I had a serious medical condition, but the good news was that it is manageable but not curable. Nice approach to dealing with HIV/AIDS
Keep the chin up! Continue to live life to it's fullest, plan the retirement party and stay well!
Joe

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100166 - 06/20/04 03:35 AM

I was diagnosed in 2000 with a VL of 250,000 and a CD4 count of less than 100, after several attempts at meds and trying to find the right "cocktail" for me, my VL is now under 50 and my CD4 is slowing making its way up over 200. I am a 30 year old female and I did think my life was over but now I know that my life can and will go on, we can't all live forever you know but the important thing is to value the time we have now and love life and love one another... good luck to you...

matt
Unregistered

thanks new
      #100175 - 06/20/04 10:04 AM

thanks heaps for all your heartening words. am even feeling a little better about it in the this is fucked but its happened way. i thinks it will be best to engage with treatment and try and live my life as normally as i can, evenwhile having that raised awareness of mortality. would appreciate hearing how you all are going.
matt

FLORIDA_POS
New User

Reged: 06/16/04
      #100179 - 06/20/04 12:20 PM

I was diagnosed in 05/2000 and spent three years with a “lives over, so F*** IT” attitude. What a mistake! My drinking and drugging increased to the point of losing a six figure job I enjoyed and had worked years to obtain. I got a part time job to get health insurance benefits and screwed away a year and a half of my life.

Hopefully, you’ll take the approach I’ve adopted in the last year. Do the basic stuff like workout regularly, eat a health diet, watch your stress level, and educate yourself on your condition. It’s worked for me! In May ’03, my CD4 count was 540 with a viral load of 34162. In June ’04, my CD4 count is 769 with a viral load of 34026.

Jessie
Regular

Reged: 06/15/04
      #100202 - 06/21/04 09:59 AM

Matt,
I know how you are feelin, I was diagnosed in february of this year...two months after I was married and contracted it from my husband. I am still going through the"I am fucked stage" and feel as if my life is over but I have made some nice conections here and on other web sites and by educating myself about the disease and talking with my doctor I have found HOPE. There is hope sweetie, keep your head up and remember that LOVE is the most important thing in life. If you can hold on to hope and love you have nothin to worry about. Hang in there-it will get better. My heart is with you....Jessie

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100432 - 06/26/04 09:31 PM

Yes, it is a the world literally being turned upside down and inside out. I remember driving down the road, thinking I won't get to watch my children grow up....my head was spinning inside a car which seemed to be spinning, although it wasn't.
Extreme shock...then anger, depression, sometimes, acceptance, bargaining. Your career MAY not be lost....I have been poz since 1990, worked for 15 years at a job I loved. I retired early because of my health, not just hiv problems but others I've had since childhood, young adulthood. There are SOOOOOO many drugs. They are doing research all the time. So much more support in general than when I was diagnosed. Do don't throw in the towel...I thought I had 2 years, I am on #14! You have alot better odds than I did. It's a !@#$%&** disease, but you can fight it. (I even do imagery...picture "Vinnie the Virus" getting smashed by a sledgehammer, rolled over by steamroller. etc. I tell myself it's just a stupid miniscule little virus, it's not going to get me....not yet anyway!). And stick with "The Body", it is a GREAT resource. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: thanks new
      #101283 - 07/12/04 03:26 PM

Matt,

Keep your head up. I am 31 and have been positive for two years. I got it from someone who wasn't man enough to tell me he was infected. I have gone from being unemployed with no health insurance and I thought no life to finishing a Bachelor's and Master's Degree, obtaining a great job with fantastic benefits with no preexisting condition clause. I do have a future. I live each day to its fullest. There is hope.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132490 - 01/03/05 02:12 AM

This is for Joe with the count of 7? Did you say seven> and did you have any symptoms? And you are already undetectable? How did you do that?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3056

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3