Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Testing and Window Periods
      #9999 - 09/23/00 12:43 PM

I work at a public health dept in Texas. They use a Elisa 1 test. The HIV counselor tells all clients that the test will show positive in 4-8 weeks. He also states a warning to all of those who get tested with private doctors and hospitals because there are more false positives....alot of those places don't use a western blot to confirm. I found that to be interesting.

The bottom line is that your body produces an enormous amount of antibodies in 4-8 weeks. In fact, antibody production, on average, is maxed out at 9 weeks.

Trust the tests. And don't condemn anonymous testing sites...it sounds like they have their s#@% together more than private places.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Testing and Window Periods new
      #10002 - 09/23/00 04:55 PM

if antibody production is really that strong and fast then please help me to understand what is happening to me.

I have always been a healthy individual, quickly recovering from illnesses and injury.
'
Last February I had a low risk exposure which left me with occassional herpes lesions that are diseminated on my arms mostly. Only a few at a time. One time I had a grouping of about a dozen blisters all on my side. As soon as I started noticing these blisters, a std doc told me they where herpetic and I started on acyclivoir daily to suppress further outbreaks. After 3 months my antibody testing was negative.

about 4 months out I was diagnosed with mono, which also means that there were specific antibodies (brunell?) which were produced.

I also noticed a rash on my back and soles of my feet. It was faint, but it was visible.

For the last 6 months I have had numberous other symptoms such as fever, painful lymph nodes in my neck and arms, diareaha for a month, recurring diareaha for a few days each month, various rashes, easily bruised and also very large bruises, and a sore throat for over 4 months. Also, a white tongue with repeated mouth sores on my tongue, cheeks and hard palat.

Every month since the exposure I have tested negative on elisa for hiv. Once at 4-1/2 months out I tested neg on elisa for hiv1+2. Also negative syphilis tests three times (3,4,6 months) and negative herpes 3 and 6 months.

how could I be negative while I can physically see herpetic blisters periodically. Could being infected with two or three viruses at that time be causing the antibody production to be lower than necessary to show positive on tests? After all, aren't these tests only positive if you are over a certain range? In other words, could I be positive but since the tests only pick up a small amount of whichever protein they are looking for showing me to be negative.

Please respond. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#10008 - 09/23/00 11:28 PM

My freind, I have different experience. I tested herpes 1&2 +ve but have NO sypmtoms. Chlamydia +ve at only 17 weeks ( -ve at 13 weeks ), also NO symptoms. HIV 1&2 both -ve at 17 weeks. I am very health but stress. Few days ago, I got a flu but recover very fast and had no fever. You have herpes other than genital area, so it is not std. Did you doctor test you something else?? Because it is different kind of antibody than HSV 1&2. Since you test 6 months -ve with hiv, back to your normal life and forget about it. Please just don't refuse to accept you are NEGATIVE!!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#10023 - 09/24/00 07:50 PM

I've had a similar experience. I had a low risk exposure in Oct 99. My symptoms have been seborrhea since 2 weeks afterward, with intermittant chest and back pains, a giardia infection, a month long fever (99), now body aches without fever. I have tested negative at 3, 4, and 7 months. If you'd like to chat, please email me. Take care.

westcentral31@yahoo.com

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3735

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3