Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

SUB TYPES? Please help
      #99872 - 06/14/04 04:28 PM

What is the deal with all the sub types and what test will detect these (home access, PCR, ELISA HIV1/HIV2) Also, if you were with someone from another country (Europe, Russia, Asia, Africa) what test should you use?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chiquilla
Unregistered

Re: SUB TYPES? Please help new
      #99878 - 06/14/04 05:05 PM

To the best of my understanding (and I am not claiming to be a doctor), I know of two subtypes of HIV, which would be HIV1 and HIV2. The Elisa, which is the commonly used screening test for HIV antibodies will also pick up the antibodies for HIV 2 in most cases. I don't have any specific statistics on this info, but I know that if you look in the archives in the Ask the Experts section, I HAVE seen specific statistics regarding what % of the time does the ELISA pick up the HIV2 antibodies.
Another important note is that unless you had a risk with someone from an area where HIV2 is a risk, you do not need to be concerned about this subtype. From my understanding, HIV2 is prevelant in parts of the continent of Africa and is starting to be seen more in India and other countries in that area of the world. There are VERY FEW cases of HIV2 in the US and Canada; I don't know about Europe in general (east and west).
Think about your risk. If you have more specific information, this may make it easier to assess whether you even need to THINK about HIV2. More than likely, you don't. If you have more specific questions regarding this topic, you could also consider calling your local HIV hotline. Since you would be speaking with experts in the field who's job it is to keep up on the most recent HIV info, they would most likely have access to the most recent statistics regarding this subtype.
Good luck and stay safe!
Come back to post your negative results on this thread for all the WWs out there. ok?
Chiquilla

Chiquilla
Unregistered

All right...I researched a bit into the subtypes. new
      #99944 - 06/15/04 03:38 PM

WEll, I understand NOW what your question was. I think there was a bit of translation break down giong on in my brain. I thought tha tyou were referring to hiv1 or 2... But, may I direct you to aidsmeds.com in the "am I infected" section of their board. There is a posting there that deals exactly with this same question, and breaks down the subtypes one by one. They also tell you which countries have which subtype. It will be MUCH easier for you to go check it out there rather than cutting and pasting all the info. I hope this helps!
Chiquilla

KNOWLEDGEISPOWER
Unregistered

Re: SUB TYPES? Please help new
      #100124 - 06/18/04 09:28 PM

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu/publications/book/03MMHIV1to3.pdf Chapter 2, Page5

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1125

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3