Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

transmission throgh food?
      #99607 - 06/07/04 03:04 PM

If an HIV + man cut his hand and get some blood onto food, does the person who eats the food(without being aware of the blood) run into risks? Is it still considered to be casual contact? Is the mucous membrane in mouth easily infected?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: transmission throgh food? new
      #99611 - 06/07/04 04:15 PM

HIV virus is a weak virus. As soon as air hits it, it weakens even more. there is always a risk when one comes in contact with HIV infected fluids however I would doubt you would be at much risk with a drop of blood in food. Why do you think this happened? D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99613 - 06/07/04 05:08 PM

thanks for replying. i ate some food that someone high risk but unknown status handed over to me. she has a fresh cut on her finger(covered with some medicine so not actively bleeding). in the meantime, i touched her cut point, and then smoke cigarette and eat food. so i'm wondering is this still viewed as "casual contact"? or is this equivalent to "blood splash into mucous membrane"? the more i research this, the more confused i get.

right now i do some cooking for my family. what if i cut myself and my family eats the food?

Chiquilla
Unregistered

#99631 - 06/07/04 07:49 PM

It has actually been shown that saliva can weaken or destroy the virus. You cannot get HIV from food. As DJ states, once exposed to the air, the possible virus would not survive. Much less would it survive once coming in contact with your saliva. Don't worry about it! This was a ZERO risk situation.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99666 - 06/08/04 02:19 PM

Chiquilla, Thanks. This happened 3 and 1/2 weeks ago. For the first week, I can hardly sleep. The thought that the food the girl handed over to me might had her blood on it scared me. Right now I can sleep well but still have wet stool. If I want to be tested, is the FDA approved home access kit at 3 months a good choice?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3311

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3