Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Really need some help, please
      #99519 - 06/04/04 11:34 PM

Posted a bit ago (Freaking out) and got one response, which was comforting. (Thanks to that poster.) BUT, I'm still freaking out. Short version....unprotected sex with person of unkown status (she said it was safe, but no condom) seven years ago. ARS symptom four days after encounter that persisted for 2-3 days. Didn't get tested. (STUPID) Now expecting first child -- state requires HIV test of all pregnant women. WIfe had blood drawn 23 days ago. Two questions: 1. would ELISA and Western Blot be complete by now? 2. If so, would OBGYN have called if results were +, or would they wait until next schedule appt? My fear is that they would not have called for fear that we wouldn't show up for appt and are waiting until appt to tell us with counselor. Can someone please give me some guidance here? I really need to prepare for possible bad news at next appt (Tuesday). This site has been very helpful to me in dealing with compulsive worrying on my part. Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
New Life
Unregistered

Re: Really need some help, please new
      #99520 - 06/04/04 11:44 PM

Chill out buddy, if she was reactive they would have called. Besides 7 yrs ago? Something would have shown by now.
You are stressing for nothing, relax. Give your wife a kiss tell her you love her and how happy you are to celebrate this new life in 6 months or whatever it is. Wasting quality time on the what if's and might be's. Is pointless.
Be sure to post your good news on Tuesday, I will look for it.

Chiquilla
Unregistered

#99612 - 06/07/04 04:23 PM

You cannot count on your wife's hiv test to tell you your status. Many serodiscordant (poz/neg) couples have unprotected relations for YEARS without the negative partner contracting the virus. For your peace of mind, just go get tested. I agree with the previous post that said that they would have called already if your wife was positive. however, this does NOT prove that you are negative. Take responsibility for your own status. Get tested. Then you will know for sure that you are in the clear, and there won't be any kind of future misunderstandings. You most likely (like 99.9999%) are negative, since you have had no health problems that you've mentioned in the last 7 years. However, HIV can be asymptomatic for many many years. Why risk it?
That's just my point of view. Plus, in the worst case scenario, IF you were positive, wouldn't you prefer to find out so you could start meds and see your baby grow up?
Just a question.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99638 - 06/07/04 09:52 PM

Thanks. And I agree with your feelings regarding getting tested myself. I plan to do that ASAP after tomorrow's appt with wife's doctor -- we're not having sex during pregnancy and won't until I get test results. Thank you for your post. I will post back with results of tomorrow and later with my own results.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 746

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3