Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I the only one who feels this way??Plz answer
      #99488 - 06/04/04 12:33 PM

I had sex unprotected and had a test done at 50 days afterwards and it was negative. This is a little over 6 weeks and I have heard that they are thinking of making 6 weeks a conclusive time for testing so I kinda relaxed a bit but planned on having another test done near the end of June. Then I had sex WITH a condom the beginning of may (same person) but then it got stuck inside of me and I had no idea until i was showering the next morning and it came out. Now I am scared to death. My throat tighens up at times, I am constantly poking at my glands and now the right side of my neck feels sore..i don't know if its from poking them or what, and it seems like one of my armpit glands are feeling funny, I constantly have headaches and everywhere I look and read something about HIV and AIDS like today I was reading my book for a economics test and started thinking about how scared I am to test for HIV in 2 more week and turn the page and what do i see?? something about AIDS. I am crazy with fear. Turn on the Tv, I see people talking about STDs and HIV and go to work (insurance company), see claims on my computer about newly infected HIV patients, look at TV guide and see that GIA is coming on..a movie about some model who died of AIDs at 23. I am going crazy!! Do you think these are signs or just in my head?? Please help me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Am I the only one who feels this way??Plz answer new
      #99492 - 06/04/04 01:10 PM

If its in your mind you are going to be hyper sensitive about anything that relates to it. Try and relax and rationalise a bit more. Its easy for people to look for symptoms....particularly when you ve got anxiety. Never forget what a powerful thing the mind is. I once heard a quote which said the only way to seperate mind and body is to do what Henry the 8th did to several of his wives.....behead them!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99512 - 06/04/04 07:57 PM

You need to stop before you drive yourself insane...i know it's very scarey but you have to keep living and stop thinking the worse before it even happens...you are gonna make yourself sick..try and relax and what you think is a sympton is most likley just your mind playing games with you....don't worry until there is something to worry about... best wishes

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99534 - 06/05/04 05:53 AM

Hey, I know how you feel had protected with a sex worker but worried about it since.
I know my mates are health psychologists and they say worry is bringing on these symptons. I have had cold like symptons, sore throat, mouth ulcer and now bloody thrush 8 weeks on.
I have had a test 6 weeks in and was ok. No concillation still worry. I wish i could take my mates word for it but the mind is a strong thing. So what can I say I feel like you, but best to try and forget it and lets hope for the best.
Take Care

Chiquilla
Unregistered

#99540 - 06/05/04 09:17 AM

To echo what has already been said by others...try and relax, girl. your 6 week negative is a very wonderful signal as to your hiv status... You are right when you say that certain states already observe 6 weeks as a window period. I also believe that soon the 6 week window period will be generally accepted as conclusive. However, as the 13 week test is still the standard, I would still recommed testing at that point.
When I had my scare, I tested around 7 weeks...negative. I also felt really good about it, until I started getting paranoid again. What really helped me was to call the Mass aids hotline, because they absolutely accept 6 weeks as conclusive. I felt much better after they told me that I did not need to retest (and this is a State agency). I DID decide to do a home access at 13 weeks...which also was negative. However, I truthfully believe that the post 6 week test was probably enough, and I did the 13 week test for peace of mind.
So...chill out and feel good about this. You can consider the 13 week test as a sort of formality.
now, you mentioned that you had another possible risk with this same guy with the condom issue. Have you considered talking to him about his hiv status? you have been suffering through a window period already...are you willing to go through this again for the same person? You two could test together. You could tell him that it is just a formality, and that if you are going to continue sleeping together, you should test together. Order the Home Access test, if you both don't feel comfortable going to a clinic. This way you know his status for sure, as you are obviously negative before being with him.
Just a suggestion, to lessen any future stress.
Take care of yourself and good luck. I don't think that asking someone to take an hiv test is offensive or unreasonable. Hiv is a reality in this world, and an adult thing to do in the face of this reality is to be responsible to yourself and your parters. Good luck!! And...ALWAYS be safe.
Chiquilla

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1223

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3