Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

not strong enough to get tested....3 years in hell
      #99486 - 06/04/04 10:18 AM

hi everyone.
i have been going through hell these last 3 years. i am just not strong enough to get tested! now, that i am still living with my fears, i seek some help to finally get this done.
this is what happended to me: i went swimming and as soon as i jumped into this river, something cut my foot. the problem is, i don't know what it was. there are many pieces of broken glass, because people smash their beer bottles (it is a well visited place) there. on the other hand, intravenous drug users show up there, too, from time to time.
when i got to the hospital to have my foot stitched, the doc gave me antibiotics to prevent bacterial infection (i did not think of hiv then).
7 days later, i experienced a rash on my arms, chest, even in my face, had fever, sore throat and swollen lymph nodes under the jaw, in the neck, in the armpits and in the groin...they have not gone away until today!!!
my questions are: how do you rate my risk? hiv is said to die outside the body very soon. but it can survive longer in needles and what about needles that do not dry out in the water?
can ARS occur within 7 days? (its mostly 2+ weeks?) and aren't the nodes supposed to disappear after ARS has gone? is it common that they never go back?
the rash could have been a side effect of penicillin, but would this explain my swollne lymph nodes until 3 years later?
i am so desperate, please comment, i will finally get over with this and get tested.
thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dutchman
Unregistered

Re: not strong enough to get tested....3 years in hell new
      #99489 - 06/04/04 12:50 PM

Hello anonymous,

I'm very sorry for you living 3 (!!!) years in fear. I assume this was with ups and downs and the fear was not paralysing you for this long time. I can really hard imagine that there was no-one around you in those 3 years who could convince you that you are fine. Or did you keep it for yourself?

The possibility of catching HIV from this happening, sounds to me as one of the most inconceivable scenarios someone can imagine. Your injury was even under water!

I can read in your story that also for you HIV came not up in your thoughts until you get feeling ill. But the symptoms you call do say NOTHING TO ME in accordance to HIV. The antibiotic is a very logic possible reason for the huge reaction of your body. It does not happen seldom that people experience such reaction using antibiotic. I know from some people in my family that they had once the same.

In each case it was not ARS what you experienced. As you say already by yourself ARS starts in the time-frame 2-6 weeks after infection. A little bit earlier is possible, but NO WAY within a week. I just say this to give another assurance, because even if your complaints began later there would not be one hair on my head that would think that you would be at any risk for HIV from the injury in the river.

Get tested to close this chapter as soon as possible. I say testing only because i suppose it will be impossible for you after 3 years to just change the irrational thoughts immidiately now. That's why a test is ideal here, it can close the book.

I am sure someone is gona get sooooo happy very soon!!!

Hint: if you know what kind of antibiotic you've used 3 years ago, then write it down and next time you need antibiotics tell your doctor that you are allergic for this one.

Best regards,
Dutchman

Chiquilla
Unregistered

Re: not strong enough to get tested....3 years in hell new
      #99542 - 06/05/04 09:28 AM

Hear hear, Dutchman!
Listen to what this man says, he knows his stuff...
I agree that you were at zero risk. I also agree that 3 years of suffering through an hiv scare DOES warrent a test, to put your mind at ease.
Just do it! You will feel SO much better after you collect your negative result. It will change your life.
If you have a clinic with a rapid test you could get this over with in 1/2 hour. If you don't want to go to a clinic, get a Home Access test. It's easy to use AND you get your results within a week.
Take care of yourself. Get tested and end this nightmare. You are negative, friend.
Chiquilla

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 961

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3