Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rare Strain???
      #99354 - 05/29/04 08:03 PM

What is your opinion? Following intercourse (unprotected insertive vaginal) with a sex worker in the Philippines in July, 2002 I experiences a flu-like illness 3 weeks later. Most symptoms subsided in a week or so, some lasted a longer. Symptoms included:
1. Facial dermatitis
2. Fatigue
3. Malaise
4. Muscle aches
5. Painful red patch in mouth (?)
6. Rash on chest
7. Dramatic loss of appetite and weight (~10%)
8. Painless genital ulceration.
9. Night Sweats
It is my understanding that many of these symptoms are statistically significant for HIV ARS.

In the many months following I have experienced many diagnosed medical conditions and issues, some minor, others more bothersome, such as:

1. Onset of severe acne
2. Benign growth in floor of mouth
3. Bump inside lower lip, possible enlarged salivary glands
4. Hair growth abnormalities
5. Re-occurring muscle aches with elevated muscle enzyme tests
6. Dry mouth, dry eyes and dry skin
7. Elbow infection
8. Multiple rashes on neck, trunk and arms
9. Lower leg & foot pain, burning sensation, areas which feel bruised (neuropathy?)
10. Multiple fibrous papules on nose
11. Re-occurring oral ulcerations and aphthous ulcers
12. Skin pigmentation changes
13. Plantar and genital warts
14. Possible psoriasis and other unknown skin lesions
15. Red, blotchy skin on face? Sehborreic Dermatitis?
16. Re-occurring dry cough and runny nose
17. Seborrheic keratoses
18. Stucco keratosis
19. Intermittent pain in groin/neck areas
20. Fatigue and tiredness

It is well documented that skin disorders, myalgias, neuropathies and oral ulcerations are very prevalent for HIV infection, correct? Most recently (Since February 2004) I have had persistent swollen lymph nodes in jaw area, under the armpits and in the groin. It is my understanding that this is a very common early indicator of HIV disease. I have also been diagnosed by biopsy to have Grover’s’ disease a skin rash (transient acantholytic dermatosis), I understand this typicall affects older men (>50) and is indicative of a lymphoproliferative disorder, (I am only 38).. I have read on a few sites about HIV positive individuals being diagnosed with this disorder.

Based upon my sexual exposure and clinical history it seems highly possible that I may have been infected with the HIV virus. However I have repeatedly tested negative via ELISA and PCR RNA testing. However it is also my understanding that the standard ELISA test used is very reliable for diagnosing HIV-1, Group M (all subtypes) infections but may not detect HIV-1 group O or Group N infections and standard PCR RNA testing is only accurate for HIV-1, Group M, sub-type B and may under-detect or not detect viruses of other subtypes and certainly not of different groups, (Amplicor version 1.5 will detect all group M subtypes). It should also be noted that the Philippines has been found to exhibit very high HIV viral diversity within the country. All the Group M, subtypes and group O viruses have been documented in that country. This most likely due to the migratory work practices and the legalized sex trade that is prevalent in the country.

I also believe it is ignorant to conclude that a infection with a rare strain is impossible as one must be aware that the 900,000 or so cases in the U.S. began form a small number of people with a “Rare” disease at the time. I also think rare strains would be more likely to spread if adequate detection and testing systems are not currently implemented.

What should I do? Test for rare strains and check CD4/CD8 ratios? Almost all other possible causes have been ruled out by my ID and primary doctor. I really need to know what is going on and a rare strain of HIV seems to really be a possibility match based upon by exposure and subsequent clinical history.

PLEASE give me your advise.

Thanks,

ithastobehiv

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rare Strain??? new
      #99372 - 05/30/04 01:59 PM

Also forgot to mention, I have a lesion that just appeared recently that looks like Kaposi Sarcoma. I wll see the dermatologist this week ...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99395 - 05/31/04 12:26 PM

How can anyone respond to this. You are convinvced you have HIV. One kind or the other. You have more symptoms than severe HIV folks. Think about it, most AIDS paitients don't have as many problems as you are reporting. All I can tell you is get your cd4's checked I bet they are normal. I would also bet if you got to a phyc. alot of your problems would vanish D. J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99558 - 06/05/04 04:25 PM

I really don't like that last reply. Very unfair!
I'd say that if you have hiv, that it sounds pretty rapidly developing. But yes you did have very risky scarey sex with someone who is likely to have had a great deal of high risk sex with many many people. Perhaps it is mulitiple rare or new strains. The sex worker could have easily had more then one. Yikes.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99792 - 06/11/04 05:08 PM

Do not listen to ANYONE who tries to convince you this is in your head. I am sick sick sick (tumors popping up all over my body). lungs, thyroid, breast. Actually its not just me we are all sick, and despite exhaustive clinical testing we are all undiagnosed. there is a definitely a "new" undiagnosed std floating in this country. I don't know if its hiv or perhaps a yet to be diagnosed viral infection. But, we all reported ourselves to the state health department. And if enough people choose to do the same, perhaps we can start a movement and get some attention to a big problem going overlook. perhaps if we start talking we find some resolution!!!! just my thoughts.....

miguelito
Unregistered

#100103 - 06/18/04 09:05 AM

I have been dealing with most of these symptoms you have described for the last twelve weeks. I was shocked when I read your post. I feel like I am dying and my only exposure was oral sex from sex worker. I have tested negative PCR HIV-1, PCR HIV-2, and bDNA. I am waiting on ELISA results and CAT scan. Hope to find out today. I would like to talk to you about you exposure. I think my exposure may have an African connection. Please respond.

Kayla
Unregistered

"I am a link in a chain of sick people" new
      #100133 - 06/18/04 10:10 PM

Read my story "I am a link in a chain of sick people"

Kayla
Unregistered

Do some research on these two diseases new
      #100178 - 06/20/04 11:02 AM

Idiopathic CD4+ T-lymphocytopenia, a subset of ICL patients produced serum antibodies to a retrovirus called human A-type retrovirus type II. Good Luck, k

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3126

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3