Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

window period 3 or 6 months?
      #99077 - 05/24/04 03:36 PM

Hello everybody.
I had an unprotected sex encounter (with a sex worker) in early january. I tested at 7 and at 14 weeks. Both tests (ELISA 2 gen) were negative. But I still a little afraid. The reason? I´v read in many internet sites that 3 months is enough to get a coclusive result, but others says 6 months, there are who even says 12 months. This seems to change in accord the country. Canada and England says 12 weeks, France says 8 weeks, US and Mexico says 13 weeks, CDC says 3 months... well maybe 6... Here in thebody "ask the experts" the same doctor says 3 months in one answer, then says 6 months in another answer.

I made a mistake before putting my life (and my loved ones lives) at risk and I dont wan to do it again. Should I get tested at 6 months?

thanx
Worriedman

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: window period 3 or 6 months? new
      #99078 - 05/24/04 03:45 PM

You are negative !! Congrats, time to move on ...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99080 - 05/24/04 03:56 PM

You can test all you want but you really don't need any more than 12wks. 12wks. is the outter limit. Six weeks is really all you need but folks seem to not be able to believe the results, to much old stuff on the net. The tests today are much much better. My advise to you is for your own mental health believe your results but to be extra causes get the twelve week test which will have the same results as your six week test. DJ

Dutchman
Unregistered

#99083 - 05/24/04 04:01 PM

Hello Anonymous,

Only with needlestick accidents and in a very very few situations when someone has really bad immune system (hard drug users, people who get immune depressing medicine after organ transplantation) a 6 month test is still advised (even then 3 months negative is very promising for these cases.) Otherwise 3 months is the GOLD-standard.

Congatualtions indeed. Although it will maybe not feel this way. It maybe takes some time to accept for you. But remember yourself from time to time this is just psychological and you're fine.

Greetings,
Dutchman

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99089 - 05/24/04 05:20 PM

Dr Joel Gallant said 3 months is what they call the outer window and that most people seroconvert from negative to positive long before 3 months.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1292

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3