Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
worriedman
New User

Reged: 05/19/04
Worried, what is my risk?
      #98929 - 05/19/04 04:13 PM

Dear All,

I'm deeply worried and please help me to evaluate my risk. One week ago I was in an Asian country. I went to KTV with two of my friends. We had three girls that worked in the KTV with us. Couple of things happen that worries me:
1. The girl sit with me smoked my cigaret and then gave it back to me. I continued smoking the same cigarete.
2. There was once she bite my right arm. There is no blood though.
3. She left for a while and when she came back, she said she broke her finger when closing the door. There was some purple medicine around the cut point to stop the bleeding. Stupid enough I even touched the cutpoint and asked her if it's painful. Then I continued smoke one cigarete, drank some beer and eat some watermellon handed over by her. Can her hand or my hand contaminate food?
The assumption is she belongs to a high risk class with unknown status.
Since the second day to now, I have experienced fatigue, and loss of appetite. Occasionally feeling chilly.
Right now I'm deeply worried. Please help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dutchman
Unregistered

Re: Worried, what is my risk? new
      #98941 - 05/19/04 05:33 PM

Hello Worriedman,

Clearly no risk. You only have to read just the basics about HIV on this website where you can see how you can and how you cannot get infected with hiv, and you will understand HIV cannot be transferred with casual contact

About "symptoms" (ridiculous actually to talk about in this case): if they occur, first HIV ARS symptoms do not show up much before 2 weeks after infection.

Spend your time on other things and get a little more informed about HIV.

Greetings,
Dutchman

worriedman
New User

Reged: 05/19/04
      #98945 - 05/19/04 07:41 PM

Dear Dutchman,

Thanks for your response, I feel much relieved. I have wife and kid, so just want to make sure they will be safe. Should I still go for a test?

Dutchman
Unregistered

#98959 - 05/20/04 06:48 AM

Hello Worriedman,

Again, this is no risk, read about the basics on this website and get informed. If you had no other (real) risks, everyone will agree testing is a waste of energy and money here.

Greetings,
Dutchman

JustAGirl
Unregistered

#98971 - 05/20/04 02:09 PM

Hi Worriedman,

Dutchman is right, there was no risk for HIV infection here. Let's break it down...

1. Smoking the cigarette after she did is not a risk for HIV infection (it is, however, a risk for lung cancer--stop smoking! :) ). Saliva does not transmit HIV.
2. There was no risk from her biting your arm, because again, saliva does not transmit HIV.
3. If there was blood where she cut her finger, chances are it was dried, and the medication was covering it, so there was no risk. You probably did not have any open wounds when you touched her finger, so even if you did get blood on your own hand, you would not be at risk. HIV is not transmitted through casual contact, so smoking, drinking, and eating watermelon do not pose a risk.

You are probably feeling tired and not hungry because you are stressed! Please try to put this incident out of your mind. You are fine :)

JustAGirl

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99008 - 05/21/04 02:27 PM

Dear JustAGirl,

Thank you. I feel much better but still concerned over how to protect one's wife and kid. I understand casual contact won't get them infected, but living together on a daily basis is a different thing. For instance, saliva contains very few virus, but the accumulation of saliva over years can drive up the probability. What about washing clothes and sharing bathroom on a daily basis?

If I insist on being tested, should I do it at 3 months?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2859

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3