Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please help - stressed to the max
      #97333 - 05/03/04 02:18 PM

About 1 year ago I had unprotected sex with a girl who claims there is NO WAY she is HIV+. That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. Over the last several months (since reading about HIV) I have had numerous symptoms but not the most common - swollen lymph nodes. The latest "symptom" to manifest is sore throat and the sensation of gasping for breath at the least bit of physical activity.
I keep thinking I am "wasting" in the cheeks.

The really big question I have is about the conflicting information about facial wasting and shortness of breath. Can you waste and get shortness of breath at the 1 year mark from HIV? Oh yeah - the other crazy thing is I have put on weight - about 15 pounds.

I am thinking it is stress causing all this but I would like to hear other opinions.

Thank you so much for your answers

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tesla
Regular

Reged: 04/28/04
Re: Please help - stressed to the max new
      #97337 - 05/03/04 03:05 PM

You should never take anyone's word that he or she is not infected. If you are not sure of her status, then it would be a good idea to get tested just for a peace of mind. Ask yourself when was the very last time you had unprotected sex. Consider it before you go in for testing. Unprotected sex is risky no matter what. The actual "wasting" will not occur at the onset of HIV infection. The virus is dorment by entering into a lysogenic cycle. The dormancy can last up to 8-12 years. Wasting will occur when your CD4 level or your T-Helper Cell count drops to very low levels. Usually when your CD4 level drops below 200 cells/mm3, antiviral therapy becomes very difficult. Be safe!!!!

Sincerely,
Tesla

Chiquilla
Unregistered

Re: Please help - stressed to the max new
      #97338 - 05/03/04 03:14 PM

I agree with Telsa in that you should just bite the bullet and go get tested. Everyone should know their HIV status, especially if you have unprotected sex! As far as your symptoms go, if you are concerned about having been infected 1 year ago, you would be in the asymptomatic stage of HIV. You would have seroconverted a long time ago. As everyone says on this site, symptoms mean nothing as far as HIV goes, but just logically speaking these symptoms can not be seroconversion related (if your last risk was about 1 year ago). As a former WW, trust me that you will feel much better after going and getting tested and collecting a big fat negative. Also, remember that you started feeling all these symptoms after you started reading about HIV! Do you think that these two facts are related ? ;) As far as the weight gain...hmm...have you been depressed because of this stress? Drinking more beer? Maybe not going to the gym like you used to? Just a few ideas... Don't worry, friend, just go and get tested and put this stressful time behind you!
Best wishes!
Chiquilla

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1262

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3