Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Positive then Negative
      #97082 - 04/30/04 01:44 AM

I had a one time unprotected vaginal exposure with a stripper and tested PCR DNA negative at 2 weeks and then PCR DNA positive at 4 weeks. At 7 weeks I had a RNA Viral load of undetectable followed by a 12 week negative ELISA test. The doctor then followed this up with another PCR DNA at 10 weeks which was negative and another RNA Viral Load which was negative. The tests performed were ultrasensative. I still have some symptoms (fatique, painful lymph nodes under arms and near my elbows and knees, white coating on my tongue). I'm convinced that I may still have HIV. What can I do? It's been 5 months. Would a 5 month antibody test be conclusive? Is it possible that I have HTLV-3 or HTLV-4? This happened in CANADA. Is it possible I have an unusual strain. HELP!!!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tesla
Regular

Reged: 04/28/04
Re: Positive then Negative new
      #97105 - 04/30/04 02:35 PM

Dear worried,

It sounds like everything was negative except for the 4 week PCR. Could that have been a false positive? Is has been known to happen. Due to the sensitive nature of Taq Polymerase used to amplify small fragments of DNA by utilizing a DNA primer, it could give false readouts if something else was going on. Could it be cross contamination? I don't know. Rather than guessing, go with what you know now. Your 10 week DNA PCR came back negative and both of your RNA viral loads were negative. I'm more in favor of RNA testing which directly looks for the virus.

And you seem a little confused about HTLV-3 and HTLV-4. Here's something that will put your mind at ease. HTLV-3 was originally found in France back in 1983 by Luc Montagnier of the Pasteur Institute and it was at that time labeled LAV(Lymphadenopathy-Associated Virus). And in July of 1983, Montagnier also sent a sample of the LAV virus to Dr. Robert Gallo, head of the prestigious National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the United States. Gallo wanting to be a hot shot in a way scoffed at the discovery of LAV. Wanting to cure lymphatic cancer, Dr. Gallo claimed that he found a new virus which he labeled HTLV-3. HTLV-3 turned out to be totally different from HTLV-1 and HTLV-2. When HTLV-3 was analyzed, it actually turned out to be LAV which is what the French has found earlier. Today we have a common name for both LAV and HTLV-3. We call this HIV-1!

And as to HTLV-4, this was found in Senegal. When restriction enzymes were used to analyze the genetic material, it differed very little with other types of HTLV.
HIV-2 single stranded DNA will hybridize to HTLV-4 once HTLV-4 DNA has been denatured. Thus they concluded that all of these viruses are related to one another. Sometimes you will even see HTLV-4/HIV-2 in some scientific publications. The major difference is that HIV-1 is more virulent compared to HTLV-4 and HIV-2. And there are only about less than 200 cases of HIV-2 in the US at the moment.

Thus when you tested with DNA PCR and RNA viral load, the clinicians were indeed looking for most if not all of these different types of strains. I am confident that you are negative and the 4 week PCR was a false positive. If this doesn't put your mind at ease, get a simple ELISA test done after 6 months. You'll see that you are negative!! As to your white coatings on your tongue, this is not an HIV symptom. I truly believe that the fatigue and everything else is just in your head. When was the last time that you had a physical checkup? And I mean having your body chemistry tested to make sure that your biochemistry is working properly.

Fatigue can be caused by many things. Do you drink or smoke often? Any stress?

Don't conclude that these symptoms are caused by HIV. I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#97119 - 04/30/04 10:28 PM

that's why it isn't recommended to take a PCR test for diagnostic reasons. The have a HIGH false Positive rate.

J91

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Wyoming
      #97125 - 05/01/04 01:05 AM

A antibody negative result after 13 weeks would be sufficient, but since your false-positive scare and the fact you are so close to six months, I would do another ELISA at six months. Collect your negative and move on.
-J

--------------------
We All Fall Down- It's getting back up that really counts

Anonymous
Unregistered

#97165 - 05/01/04 01:31 PM

Can I get one at 5 months and put this behind me or should I wait the full 6 months? How conclusive would 5 months be? Are people testing negative at 5 months and positive at 6 months? Please advise....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#97166 - 05/01/04 01:32 PM

I would like to test now. Is 5 months sufficient? Do you know of anyone testing - at 5 and then + at 6 months? Please advise....

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1651

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3