Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Symptoms and postive test
      #96924 - 04/28/04 04:54 PM

How long after you have symptoms will it take for your body to produce enough antibodies to show up positive?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Symptoms and postive test new
      #96937 - 04/28/04 06:15 PM

A healthy individual usually develops antibodies to HIV usually 4-12 weeks after being exposed. Depending on your immune response, you may have detectable antibodies even 3 weeks after being exposed. Symptoms? These symptoms may vary from mild fever like conditions to a rash. Usually this is all in your head.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#96966 - 04/28/04 11:06 PM

a DR here on the body said antibodies are produced soon as you are infected and a few weeks later a elisa will detect them

tesla
Regular

Reged: 04/28/04
      #97005 - 04/29/04 01:07 PM

Antibody detection using an ELISA test depends upon the antibody titre. Depending on how sensitive the ELISA test is, it may or may not be able to detect a very low titre. Usually it takes about 3-12 weeks for the majority of the population to develop detectable antibodies. Thus "Window Period" may vary from the time of infection up to even 1 year for certain individuals with weak immune systems. Although most people seroconvert within 1-2 months, there are anomalies out there. They are very rare though. Indeed the body does produce antibodies, but it may take up to 3 months for your body to develop a detectable titre.

Due to a long window period, ELISA is really not my favorite test. There are kits out there that detect the HIV virion itself once it enters the body. These tests will detect viral RNA and viral DNA (once reverse transcryptase has transcribed the viral RNA). Depending on how virulent the strain of HIV is, these tests can even be performed literally hours after a possible infection. But just to be safe, labs require that you wait at least 2-4 weeks prior to getting such a test done.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#97014 - 04/29/04 05:11 PM

Do you really think that an ultra-sensitive (50 copies) DNA by PCR test could find the virus in the blood one day after a possible exposure???

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1837

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3