Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Negative test&lesson
      #9590 - 09/13/00 09:50 PM

OK. I just got my test results. I am negative. I want to share with all of you waiting for the results my story and perhaps give some of you peace of mind. All was well up till few weeks ago; because of what i considered as low risk exposure (hetero white female, no drugs, no "dubious" friends"/partners-except perhaps my ex but that may be a subjective opinion-BUT no safe sex with the respective ex but nothing kinky either...an 8 years realtionship ending 4 years ago-i know he wasn't too faithful to me in the last months of our "association"...currently married for 3 years none of us tested for HIV before as we just had 2 partners total and thought we are low risk) i was not exactly concerned with HIV (good health, no cold/flu for years no nothing). For green card reasons i have to take an HIV test in the future so i said to myself to test in advance just in case ; immediately after deciding to take the test i started researching all HIV resources available; soon i started imagining things and worst of all developing all kind of "symptoms"; i associated them with various HIV related illnesses-pain in the legs and hands, cough, lack of sleep, diarheea, lack of apetite, aso [small problems from the past 4 years suddenly started to appear as a certain HIV+ proof: a successfully treated wart on my knee (had some as a child same location) was suddenly proof of a declining immune system, a small temporary/treated rash on my toes due to a contact dermatitis was a proof again]. In less than a week after my "intense" research i was a wreck and convinced i will test +, couldn't sleep except only loaded with valerian root extract pills, etc. Today the test came back negative (Home access). At last i regained peace. What i am trying to tell you is don't freak out like i did. Be reasonable: use condoms, try not to go with total strangers/dubious people, look around and estimate the risk in your friends/partners circle if none is infected than it is a good chance you are at a lower risk than others, look at statistics about prevalence in your area (NY has higher prevalence than other areas for example so your risks are higher there), it may also be advisable not to use drugs and try not to do higher risk sex (anal). If [censored] happens it's best to get tested just in case but don't mess your life for a less than 0.5% chance to test + as i did because of one exposure or two - because even with unprotected exposure (my case) it is not that easy to get HIV at least if your average risk is in the low end [also you can get other diseases (STD/hepatitis) much much faster than HIV]. Good luck everybody may you all test negative and go on with a happier life..

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Negative test&lesson new
      #9596 - 09/13/00 11:54 PM

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your negative results! Now your mind can be at peace and you can put this behind you!

Again congrats!
CR

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1232

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3