Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
J91
Unregistered

Near the end of the window period, need advice.
      #95479 - 04/15/04 12:23 PM

Hi guys.
I had two experiences in the last five months that I began to worry about after the second one. The first time it was unprotected oral (giving) with a on again, off again girlfriend, the second time protected sex (basically a one night stand) The problem is, because the other person handled the condom afterwards, I cannot swear that it was unbroken, although it happened one other time and I knew right away. So that's what got me worried on the first hand. It's now been almost 11 weeks since the second encounter, and as soon as I started feeling like this would soon be behind me, hopefully with a negative result, I started worrying about many other small possibilities.
What if there was co-infection and the test at 13 weeks is a false negative? What if I am one of those rare people who don't produce antibodies or who take more than 3 months to do so? And god forbid, what if it was a false positive? The slim possibility that it could be a true positive result isn't even worrying me as much as the slim possibilities of these things happening.
Basically, I just need some reassurance. If any worried wells or experts out there with a more level head than mine can straighten me out, I'd really appreciate it. This could all be over in a couple of weeks and I'd be able to put my energy towards something else. If it turns out to be negative, this was a very good life experience- it opened my eyes to the epidemic and to those just like me who are really suffering, and I plan to take some action, as much as one person can anyway, in the fight of this once everything settles down. Thanks in advance-
J91

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gluckac
Regular

Reged: 03/03/04
Re: Near the end of the window period, need advice. new
      #95709 - 04/16/04 08:56 AM

J91-
Hey buddy, relax. I am experiencing the same exact thing as you. I had a very high risk encounter with a female of unknown status 14 weeks ago and it seemed textbook for HIV. For the past 13 weeks I "knew" I had it. I was convinced and prerpared myself for the worst and actually began living my life as if it had already happened. Fast forward to week 13 and I could not believe I had a negative result at that time. I thought my negatives were false at 4 and 8 weeks and that it was only a matter of time before I got the horrible news. I'm still having trouble accepting the fact that I had a neg. test at 13 weeks. I've analyzed and over analyzed the facts and I find myself just looking for the worst case scenario when clear scientific, empirical odds are in our favor. I am by no means an expert on the issue but I will give you the following for a better peace of mind:
-Remember, you are not a Dr. and regardless of how much we both want to claim that your subjective case is one of the exceptions, it's really difficult to refute strong scientific evidence. So, that being said, the CDC's info on the 12 week mark and the 97% of people who show antibodies is not only considered very conservative, but reliable. Call the CDC and ask them where and how they obtain this info. You'll see that there is good reason to believe their numbers. When I was having doubt about their numbers I even called them and asked them if I could present the info. to my Dr. if he claimed that a 6-month test was the only reliable one, and they said that without question I should print out the info and prersent it to him and b/c it's FDA approved, the Dr. will considere it reliable. This info. was a huge relief for me b/c I even began to question the reliabiloity of the expert's advice on the subject.
In closing, just consider the odds in a different light and look at the facts. First, your risk was very, very low. Second, your 13 week neg. is a very strong indication of your status. And third, please remember that you're not a Dr. and a lot of possible symptoms can be caused by strss and anxiety. It's weird to say but I'm still learning to "cope" with the negative at 13 weeks. All types of questions are swirling but I'm no expert and neither are you, so worrying won't do any good at all.
-A

Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
      #95712 - 04/16/04 11:44 AM

Your oral sex risk is negligible, especially since it was cunnilingus. If you had good oral health, I wouldn't even worry about it. As for the protected sex, only you would know if the condom broke or not when you were finished. When condoms pop or tear, it's usually very obvious. Even if it did break, you were protected up until the time it broke. The CDC states that condom breakage rarely results in infection. Also, the risk of transmission from a one-time insertive vaginal sex encounter (when the woman is not menstruating) is low. The odds are extremely in your favor of being negative.

A 13 week negative result is conclusive unless you are an IV drug user, have recently had an organ transplant, or are a cancer patient. Those are the only things that could slow down your body's response to the virus. Get the test, collect what I expect to be a negative result, and move on from all of this.

Good luck, keep me posted.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
      #95713 - 04/16/04 11:49 AM

A 13-week negative isn't a good indicator, it's a conclusive result. The only time further testing would be needed is if the person is an IV drug user, recently had an organ transplant, or is a cancer patient.

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

J91
Unregistered

#95716 - 04/16/04 12:03 PM

Thank you both.

I'm trying to hang in there until April 30th, when the test will be done. That is exactly, to the day, day 90, and ironically the only day of the week (Friday) the clinic operates in my small community, so hopefully that's a sign. I didn't realize the CDC had the 3 month window period until just recently. I have avoided everything in my life for three months, (other than worrying and having several nervous breakdowns) and I'm glad I'll soon be able to put it to rest.

Thanks so much for your encouragment and info.
-J

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1684

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3