Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
gluckac
Regular

Reged: 03/03/04
To anyone aware esp. Switch625 and Gman
      #94694 - 04/08/04 11:45 AM

O.K. I want ot lay out what's going on with me and see if someone can give me some sound advice.
About 3 days after unprotected, receptive vaginal intercourse with a woman of unknown status, I started having this wierd heat down the back of my neck. The next day I had joint and muscle pain and in the next few days I had a sore throat with strange raised purpulish pimples on my back as well as a purpulish bruise. Most of those symptoms went away but I still, 3 months after, continue to experience heat and strange feeling in the back of my neck as well as symptoms consistent with neuopathy, i.e. sunburn sort of tingling sensation in my right foot, arms, and left index finger. I called the neuropathy 800 number and they said that the signs sound consistent with neuropathy but in the thousands of cases they've dealt with, they've never had a case where someone would develop it so quickly. Because in my case, the sensation came on in less than 2 weeks.
As far as testing is concerned, I tested negative at 25 days as well as 8 weeks. I specifically want to know what kind of odds I'm looking at here. According to the CDC, 50% at 25 days and most people show a positive by 8 weeks and 97% by the 12 week mark. How should I interpret this information as well as the rest of the information out there rergarding the window perioid? I'm waiting on the results of my 13 week test and it's killing me. Can anyone help me? I need to get some peace of mind because I can't function at all. I've lost all desire to do anything. PLEASE HELP!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Switch625
Guru

Reged: 08/07/03
Re: To anyone aware esp. Switch625 and Gman new
      #94696 - 04/08/04 12:08 PM

Okay, first thing I need you to do is take a deep breath. You are getting yourself way too upset, there is no need for so much panic. I presume you meant that you (man?) had insertive vaginal intercourse, correct? Receptive vaginal means you are the woman receiving the penis. I will go with that presumption and if I am wrong then please correct me.

Insertive vaginal sex carries a rather lower risk for infection, especially if the woman isn't on her period. Your symptoms are not at all alarming to me with regards to HIV. An 800 number, no matter how good, could never diagnose any kind of condition over the phone. Whatever you are feeling, it's not HIV-related.

95% of the people who are going to seroconvert, do so by week 6, so your 8 week negative is a very good indicator of what your 13 week result will be. I am very confident based on the two negatives you already have under your belt that you will collect another negative result soon. And the CDC percentage is correct (97%). The 3% that may not show by the 3 month mark are IV drug users and people whose immune systems are already compromised (cancer, organ transplant). If you are not in that category, you can trust the result that you are about to receive.

Good luck, keep me posted!

--------------------
Life is meant for living, not fearing.

gluckac
Regular

#94698 - 04/08/04 02:26 PM

Switch625:
Thank you so much for the information. Sorry about the wrong use of the term receptive. I'm a man and I meant that she was on top of me. I really appreciate the help. So, from what you tell me, based on an 8 week negative the odds are in my favor? Also, what do you think about the info. in The Body archives regarding testing? It says that 95% will show by 8 weeks. Is this reliable? Furthermorer, why in the hell do the HIV/AIDS hotlines differ so much on their information? For example, the Massachutes hotline and the GMHC claim that 95% will show at 4 to 6 weeks but the CDC only gives such a high percentage 97% at 3 months. Should I just disrergard the info. from the other hotlines? They are very confident in their numbers, I'm just not sure what to think? HELP!

Switch625
Guru

#94700 - 04/08/04 02:35 PM

Yes, the odds are extremely in your favor with your 8 week negative. The CDC will confirm the GMHC's 95%, but they themselves do not quote that. I do not know why, but I do know that they will not dispute it.

Don't worry so much about percentages. Like I said earlier, as long as your immune system is healthy (no chemo or recent organ recepient) and you are not an IV drug user, your 13 week result will be conclusive. And just to reiterate, your 8 week negative works very well in your favor.

I know that waiting is hard, but try to occupy your mind until you get your results. Even if you get your mind off of HIV for a little bit, it's worth it. Worrying incessantly will not bring the results any quicker, so just try your best to relax knowing that all of the odds point to you being okay.

--------------------

gluckac
Regular

#94703 - 04/08/04 02:53 PM

I truly cannot thank you enough. I'll keep your words with me and I'll oray tha tthey will turn out in my favor. Thank you so much for helping me and others. I wish I could meet you someday and thank you personally. Regardless of the result, your insight and quick responses help to bring me some peace of mind. Thank you so much and I hope you pray for me as I'll do the same for you.

Switch625
Guru

#94704 - 04/08/04 03:01 PM

Of course I'll pray for you. I really do believe that you will come out of this okay. Let me know how you make out.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94726 - 04/08/04 07:22 PM

Most people that post on this board are in a true crisis situation. Please for the sake of everyone else do not make posts like this. This is foolishness.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94747 - 04/08/04 09:42 PM

who the heck are you to tell this person that they are foolish for posting their thoughts. you are the one who should be banned from posting. this is cyber space - you can't ban people from anything, so chill out. this poster needs help, even if you don't think he/she needs it.

gluckac
Regular

#94748 - 04/08/04 11:18 PM

Switch625-
Thanks again and I'll let you know. By the way, is there anyway I could speak to you privately? Let me know. Thanks.

Switch625
Guru

#94794 - 04/09/04 08:00 AM

Since you are a registered member, you could always send me a private message.

--------------------

Switch625
Guru

#94797 - 04/09/04 09:07 AM

People who fear HIV do so for their own reasons. Some are unfounded, some are not, but all are legitimate fears and each should be respected

--------------------

Broken_Angel1
Guru

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Arizona
      #94889 - 04/10/04 01:20 AM

Who is being foolish? People are here to offer support to Anyone. If you don't think the post is good enough...just move on...someone else will help. That IS why we all come here...to help or be helped...without guidelines.

--------------------
"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted." AESOP

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99098 - 05/24/04 11:49 PM

[quote]O.K. I want ot lay out what's going on with me and see if someone can give me some sound advice.
About 3 days after unprotected, receptive vaginal intercourse with a woman of unknown status, I started having this wierd heat down the back of my neck. The next day I had joint and muscle pain and in the next few days I had a sore throat with strange raised purpulish pimples on my back as well as a purpulish bruise. Most of those symptoms went away but I still, 3 months after, continue to experience heat and strange feeling in the back of my neck as well as symptoms consistent with neuopathy, i.e. sunburn sort of tingling sensation in my right foot, arms, and left index finger. I called the neuropathy 800 number and they said that the signs sound consistent with neuropathy but in the thousands of cases they've dealt with, they've never had a case where someone would develop it so quickly. Because in my case, the sensation came on in less than 2 weeks.
As far as testing is concerned, I tested negative at 25 days as well as 8 weeks. I specifically want to know what kind of odds I'm looking at here. According to the CDC, 50% at 25 days and most people show a positive by 8 weeks and 97% by the 12 week mark. How should I interpret this information as well as the rest of the information out there rergarding the window perioid? I'm waiting on the results of my 13 week test and it's killing me. Can anyone help me? I need to get some peace of mind because I can't function at all. I've lost all desire to do anything. PLEASE HELP! [/quote]

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3010

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3