Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

OraSure
      #91846 - 03/11/04 05:16 PM

My possible exposure to HIV consisted of two unprotected acts of receptive vaginal intercourse with someone of unknown HIV status. He wasn't a complete stranger or anything, and he later told me I was his first. So for a long time I had no HIV concerns. Then one day I learned about ARS and looking back I realized I had gotten sick 10-14 days (depending on whether referring to the first or second encounter) after having sex with this person. So I started freaking out.

Well, a few weeks ago, I reached my limit. I couldn't take the craziness anymore. So I went to Planned Parenthood and took the OraSure test. My results came in yesterday. I am NEGATIVE!! I took the test 5 and 1/2 mo after the possible exposure, which means the results should be definitive. But I am just wondering how reliable the OraSure test is??

When I was moving the swab around in my mouth I didn't use the flat side for most of it. Instead I used the sharper edge (the part that is only like 1mm thick). It caused chafing in my mouth, so I'm sure tissue was removed. But I am just concerned that I didn't do it right because I didn't use the flat side the whole time, and the woman told me to only keep it in there like 30sec-1min. I have heard it needs to be in there longer. I guess I should trust she knows what she's doing....

I don't know, I guess I just feel my results are too good to be true. It's hard to accept this whole nightmare is over. I just want to be sure I can trust my results. I don't want to go have a bloodtest someday when I want to have children with my now-boyfriend (who I know is HIV-neg) only to find out the OraSure test lied and that I am really positive.

Should I trust the results even though I didn't use the flat side?? Does it matter where the tissue is on the swab, as long as some is present?

Any feedback would be a huge help. I just want to know if I can finally move on with my life.......

Thanks so much,
<3 Heather in Sunny Florida

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: OraSure new
      #91868 - 03/11/04 08:47 PM

Heather,
If the Orasure test were not a good test the FDA would have not have approved it to be used here in the USA.
The nightmare is over you conclusively are HIV negative and have nothing to worry about. Go on with your life and don’t worry about it.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 983

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3